FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A trip down memory lane

raine dragon
So, my father doesn't throw anything away. Case in point, I stumbled upon a corner of a drive on our network that hasn't been touched since the 90's. Netscape, Mosaic, Paint Shop Pro and CuteFTP install files, and installed applications were just hanging out there.

So, curious little web student I am, I decided to see if I could run Mosaic on my Windows XP machine across the network. Sure enough, I can.

Looks like it had some trouble with our new-fangled web scripting though..and css:

http://i31.tinypic.com/334ukwk.png

Have any of you ever tried tossing an old application onto a new system just to play about, or for old-times sake?
billgertz
hehe. it makes me remember using netscape on as my browser while using the most latest machine i have which is Pentium I. hehehe. those days.. Smile
Studio Madcrow
I'm a retro-computing freak who's chosen Amiga as one of his favorite platforms, so for me mosaic isn't just a qualit bit of antique software, it's still a viable option for me to use from time to time when I want to surf the Net from my (these days, emulated) Amiga Smile
hunnyhiteshseth
One application? I had tried and have almost successfully run most of my old Windows 3.1 and DOS applications in windows XP.
Some worked directly, for some I had to install DOSBOX, for some i needed a new virtual machine and some ,alas!, still refuse to run.

But its fun to run all those games and applications on new computer.

I also ran pacman on my new computer. I think it was programmed such that the pacman moved according to clock spped. So, the pacman which moved very slowly in 486 at beginner's level, ran at ultra high speed on p4, much faster than expert level of 486!! It was fun.