FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Uninstalling Windows Xp - Problems

ixtra
I had installed two windows xp operating systems on different partitions as suggested by my friend but then I wanted to remove the second xp operating system I had installed because I was really not liking to choose which operating system would you like to use every time I started the computer so I formatted the drive in which I had installed windows xp but still when ever I turn on my computer it still asks for the operating system alkthough there is not a single file for the second windows xp I had installed

What should I do to remove my computer from asking which operating systwm would you like to use every time I turn on my computer ?
Faraz
You need to edit the boot.ini file. Follow the steps below (if your windows xp is installed in 1st partition):

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Under System Startup, click Edit.
4. Overwrite everything written in the text file with below:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
5. Save
FunDa
Be careful when you overclock because your computer can overheat and damage the CPU and motherboard.
Make sure you have extra cooling fans in the cabinet and maybe you can even leave the cabinet open.

Change th esetting in the bios
Faraz
FunDa wrote:
Be careful when you overclock because your computer can overheat and damage the CPU and motherboard.
Make sure you have extra cooling fans in the cabinet and maybe you can even leave the cabinet open.

Change th esetting in the bios

Huh? Shocked
FunDa
Sorry, wrong thread.

Well, if you are afraid something might go wrong if you edit the boot.ini file manually, here is a safe and easy way to correct this problem.

[Cool]

Take Start > Run

Type msconfig and press OK

A window opens - the Microsoft System configuration Utility.

There are several tabs in this utility - boot.ini, win.ini , startup, etc.

Choose boot.ini

It will show the current data in the file.

Click the button which says Check boot paths or something similar.

It will automatically check and remove the Windows which is not there.

Simply press OK and the boot.ini file is corrected.

There are so many other things too which can be done with msconfig. It is very useful to speed up your computer's startup by disabling useless programs. Hope this helped.
JohnDa the FunDa Smile
caa-noise
Look,
Edit boot.ini file as it described in previous post.
cvkien
yeah, just edit the boot.ini file but yo need to make sure you can view hidden files. set it at your folder options menu.

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

look at the partition(1) and partition(2), partition(1) mean C:\ and partition(2) mean D:\ most of the time. but we dunno which operating system you install you want to remove.