FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reinstalling vista

eudbase
Hello, I am facing a problem when I reinstall my PC with Vista Home edition for the second time. There is a interface each time I boot my PC showing two options in which one of it is "Run earlier version of window". When I choose this option, the system show me that the window is no longer available. I have deleted all the window.old folder. How can I remove the window boot manager interface show that it can detect correctly that I have actually only one window?
HamsterMan
If it is like in windows xp, you need to select show hidden files, don't hide protected system files, and edit boot.ini in c:\
mOrpheuS
Vista bootloaded doesn't work with boot.ini ... you need to use the inbuilt command-line utility called "bcdedit.exe" to make changes to the vista bootloader boot menu store.

The following switches should be helpful -
Code:
bcdedit /enum
bcdedit /delete {identifier-value}

The first command lists all the boot menu store entries. (You are intereseted in "Description" & "identifier")
The second command deletes the boot menu entry with the gived "identifier" (obtained using the first command).

Hope that helps.
eudbase
Sorry, I can`t use bcdedit. It said access is denied. How can I turn it on. (Don`t worry, I am the owner of the PC).. hehe.
mOrpheuS
eudbase wrote:
Sorry, I can`t use bcdedit. It said access is denied. How can I turn it on. (Don`t worry, I am the owner of the PC).. hehe.

You'll need to be an administrator on the machine.
Goto C:\windows\system32 -> Right click "cmd.exe" -> "Run as administrator"

and then try "bcdedit"