FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Punk bands do you like the most?

smurky182
I'm really into Punk-Rock! I've been listening to blink-182 for 7 years now and I really love them.
I also like sum 41 so I thought whether you guys have any favorite punk band or you just don't listen to that kind of music ?
snowboardalliance
I don't know if many people would call those bands punk, though they were like my old favorites years ago.

I really like anti-flag as a punk band.
kerryworkman
Yea, I would have to agree, those bands are a little soft to really be considered punk. I really like the voodoo glow skulls, and the misfits, to name a few.
selevan
They are mainly from my country so you wont know them (im from Poland) but either i dont think that Blink 182 is a punk-rock band Question Rolling Eyes
gugusm
Hmm, Offspring for sure, but I'm nopt listening to any of punk bands at present.
Yantaal
smurky182 wrote:
I'm really into Punk-Rock! I've been listening to blink-182 for 7 years now and I really love them.
I also like sum 41 so I thought whether you guys have any favorite punk band or you just don't listen to that kind of music ?

LOL

nah they aint punk bands, they aremore like pop-punk,

if you want to listent o some proper punk try, BAd Religion, Rancid, for just a couple,

or you could try more Oi! style stuff the likes of ****** sparrer, argy bargy.

all good
catscratches
I don't listen to any tru punk band, just a couple of it's sub-genres. Aktiv Dödshjälp is crustpunk, for example. And a lot of Hardcore bands.
snowboardalliance
gugusm wrote:
Hmm, Offspring for sure, but I'm nopt listening to any of punk bands at present.

That's a pretty good one.
pudovkin
Agent Orange could be an example?
Mittsu
The Stooges, now that's the punk! The guys were playing even before Sex Pistols (first album released in 68').
David_Pardy
I like old school Mxpx - mostly pre-The Everpassing Moment.

And I don't mind their latest album either.
Libby
Mittsu wrote:
The Stooges, now that's the punk! The guys were playing even before Sex Pistols (first album released in 68').

The Stooges are awesome. Very Happy Raw Power is pretty much the best song ever.

Oh, and other good punk bands: Latterman, The Descendants, Screeching Weasel, Jawbreaker, The Ergs, The Queers... And they're all kinda pop-punk so if you like Blink and Sum-41 I guess you would like them.
imera
I think I started listening to Punk-Rock in 2005, accidentally found a song, since then it's become my favourite gender. It’s difficult to say who I like the most because I usually like different songs.
revani
There is a great misunderstanding about punk. If you call a band punk, not only it's sound must be "punky". Punk ideology is always ignored and punk is always genre of Green Day and Offspring. No, hell no. None of them are punk, all of them are ideologically idiots. MTV stars can not be punk.

What is punk then? The Dead Kennedys is punk. Sex Pistols is also punk. You can find lots of street punk bands on the internet too. My punk band favorites are The Casualties and Propagandhi. Propagandhi's lyrics are really good!
burntup56
New Found Glory is definately my favorite punk band along with Blink 182 which i guess they could be considered punk-pop now when you compare them to what exactly punk was when it first started.
Radar
Jimmy Eat World, and before that Relient K.

Blink 182 and Sum 41 are good, but I've never been particularly inspired to delve deeply into their stuff.
Sphaerenkern
I don't really dislike Blink-182 or Sum 41, but it's nothing I'd call punk Very Happy
Punk bands I like.. for sure Bad Religion, I like their choral singing, but sometimes it seems to me that the songs sound too similar. Anti-Flag was the first punk band I listened to, I like the way how they're politically involved - less "****** the government" (if you disregard the old, old albums), more "do something against it".
I also like Rancid, but I can't really say what genre it is. Of course I consider it punk, but the singing style is a bit unusual, at least in "Indestructible", but that doesn't mean that I don't like it Smile I like the ska-influences and the singing style.
kerryworkman
revani wrote:
There is a great misunderstanding about punk.

That is for sure. I agree with you, the one thing that alot of these bands people are calling "punk rock" are missing is the "punk" part of the equation. It's not just a sound or type of music, it is a lifestyle, and a form of social rebellion, it's lashing out at the man and being different. It's "not" making commercial jingles that they use in Starbucks commercials, or wearing the latest Gap fashion trends on stage.

for refrence labeling that music as punk:
...... is like calling Kenny G a rock musician.
...... is like saying milli vanilli were talented singers.
...... is like saying that metallica is death metal.
...... is like putting vanilla ice in the same catagory as 2-pac, or method man.
...... is against everything that punk stands for in the first place.

I am not trying to bag on anyones musical taste, after all who am I to judge what you listen too. I just don't think that most of the music mentioned should be placed in the same catagory as punk. Please forgive my little rant my friend and I were arguing on the subject just the other day, and it's still bugging me a little.
mazito
Ramones
killerqueen
Well, Ramones rock. So do Blink, Green day on their early times and Offspring.
Libby
I just bought Propaghandi's Less Talk More Rock and Bad Brain's first record. Both are so good in different ways. <3
projektdeth
Favorite punk band would have to be Anti-Flag
JoshuAAR
Same as everyone else really. I love Blink 182, New found Glory, Sum 41 and all of those type bands. But they really are a POP version of punk.

I'de say for more punk like bands i like NOFX and The Descendants the most. Very Happy
deadswan
Ahhhh I hate most of the modern punk bands!
I'm not sure why, I just prefer the older punk bands...
Although recently I've been listening to some of Rancids songs.
And I have been listening to alot of Hardcore/Punk

Mr. Green
punkornot
smurky182 wrote:

well i guess you could consider Sum41 to be punk though stuff from their first wo releases half hour of power, and all killer no filler was poppy, i'd say you could consider some stuff from does this look infected, and chuck to be punk, but other than that i'd have to say Gob is good though not really sure they could be considered punk either
Denvis
Sum 41 is my fav! I hate Blink 182
jessicawalker
The Stooges, of course. I also love The Sex Pistols and The Ramones. I love old, original punk. Not really a fan of new punk or most of the bands already mentioned that aren't really even punk at all. In high school, I was really into all that old stuff. I also like The Suicide Machines, The Adolescents, The Exploited, and The Dead Kennedys.
zygote-hotelomega
I'm gonna go real old school and say The Clash. They were so innovative for their time. Their music is like a snapshot of the late 70s early 80s Thatcherite Britain , very evocative in it's imagery
Omega-hotelomega
I have to say I'm quite fond of the Sex Pistols , not so much Punk but i always liked The Jam too
Denvis
I <3 Sum 41! Very Happy
Tuvitor
Bad Brains, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, The Ramones, The Clash, lots of others...

Actually I think I'm going to put on Operation Ivy when my girl wakes up...
Libby
I like loud and melodic pop-punk!!

I like it when it sounds like real people made it and there's occasional "mistakes" and horribly off-key vocals! I really like it when the whole band sings and some of them are really not that great at it! It just makes it sound like a bunch of people getting together and having fun!

I like GIRL BANDS and bands with girls in them!
mattyj
smurky182 wrote:

Blink 182 & Sum 41, along with Offspring, Green Day, Simple Plan, etc are NOT punk...they are pop bands...

Now my favourite punk bands would be

The Living End, Frenzal Rhomb, Grinspoon, Spiderbait (all australian)

Screeching Weasel, Black Flag, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Propaghandi, NOFX
Ankhanu
As mentioned, the bands mentioned by the OP are pretty much not the least bit punk.
Gotta also agree with the Stooges suggestion and the like... and would heartily suggest checking out the Electric Eels... though finding their stuff may be a challenge.
spokenoise
NOFX
Descendants
Ramones
Dead Kennedys
Dead Milkmen (Kinda Poppy though)
Black Flag
Minutemen
The Stooges
GG Allin
Assjack/Hank Williams III
stel4e
Bad religion, NOFX, Sum 41,
scary
I love it when I find fellow punk-rockers Smile Smile

I love Green Day the most!
I love Blink 182!

I listen to Green Day since 2001 and to Blink182 since 2005.I really can't have a normal day without listening at least 10 Green Day songs and 5 Blink182 songs Smile
mattyj
scary wrote:
I love it when I find fellow punk-rockers Smile Smile

I love Green Day the most!
I love Blink 182!

I listen to Green Day since 2001 and to Blink182 since 2005.I really can't have a normal day without listening at least 10 Green Day songs and 5 Blink182 songs Smile

As i've said before, neither of those bands are punk...they are pop bands
scary
yeah, yeah, enough enough...don't tell me the usual "oh my god, these are pop with guitars", yeah, right...Good Charlotte are pop with guitars...

Like I said - my favourite PUNK-ROCK bands are Green Day and Blink182...
mattyj
Green Day and Blink 182 are neither Punk or Punk-Rock, no matter how big and bold and underlined you type it, they are POP, end of story
mattyj
And please tell me the difference between Good Charlotte and Blink, why are Good Charlotte "pop with guitars" yet Blink 182 are "Punk-Rock"... Rolling Eyes
scary
no, no, just tell me - who the hell are you to judge that they aren't punk or punk-rock?????
TVme
After The Ramones, The Sex Pistols and Patti Smith it seems to me everything else mentioned even The Clash is a derivative of punk rock, Kind of like after Chuck Berry, The Beatles and the Rolling Stones everything else is a derivative of Rock and Roll. Are Blink 182 Punk? Sure... Is Billy Joel Rock and Roll? Why not?
scary
And..who is Billy Joel Very Happy
mattyj
scary wrote:
no, no, just tell me - who the hell are you to judge that they aren't punk or punk-rock?????

well considering American Idiot won "Favourite Pop/Rock Album" at the 1999 AMAs, i'd say that makes them pop

they also won 2005's Favourite Pop/Rock Duo or Band

and the fact that Blink 182 won the 2001 Nick KIDS CHOICE award for favourite band, i'd say that doesnt help the cause

Should i keep going or do you want me to stop?
Libby
That's a stupid argument.

There's such a thing as "pop punk". A band/song can be both at the same time. Poppy music has always been a part of punk, going back to The Ramones and Buzzcocks and The Jam from the 70's. And then there were Bad Religion, The Descendents, Screeching Weasel, NOFX, Rancid... and all the unknown DIY pop punk bands since then. The fact that a few bands made it big and sold out doesn't mean that their music always sucked (because some of Blink's and Green Day's stuff is really good punk) or that good pop punk doesn't exist.
scary
Libby, you're absolutely right :> But I think some people won't listen to you :>
mattyj
Libby; i never called them Pop Punk, i called them pop, short for popular, as in mainstream

Punk and Mainstream dont mix - having "pop" melodys in their songs (ie ramones, screeching weasel, the jam, etc) is not the same as being a main stream pop band like Green Day and particularly Blink 182

For the record, i like Green Day, but they are NOT punk

Oh and this is my last post in this thread, scary obviously cant see passed what MTV says is punk and wont listen otherwise so im not going to bother anymore
Libby
Why should something stop being punk as soon as it gets popular? Is there some magical line of number of listeners, where something stops being punk? In that case, The Dead Kennedys and The Ramones and Sex Pistols aren't punk, because tons of people like them.

I think to say something isn't punk, the whole sound and attitude has to be "not punk". If something talks like a punk and walks like a punk and sounds like a punk, it's a punk.

I can concede that say, Fall Out Boy isn't punk ANYMORE -- because their whole SOUND changed -- but their first couple records are still some fine pop punk. Maybe it's the same with Green Day and Blink 182, I don't know, I haven't heard any of their new stuff. But I think people can still say that Green Day is their favorite punk band, because I usually take that to mean they like the old punky stuff. (what? I like to think the best of people!) If I say Lou Reed is one of my favorite musicians, I mean his old Velvet Underground stuff and the earlier solo albums are some of my favorites, I don't mean I like his shitty new music or like that he sold out "Heroin" to a car company...

I know you're not posting anymore but that's just how I feel about it.
Clare
scary wrote:
Libby, you're absolutely right :> But I think some people won't listen to you :>

Libby, i agree with u!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Afaceinthematrix
I'm not a huge fan of punk at all because it lacks the musicianship that other genres (like metal, jazz, classical music) require. For punk, you can basically learn three power chords and you'll be all set. However, I deeply respect punk for what it has done.

Not only does punk have the ideologies that I like, but it has also influenced many other bands that I have and do listen to. Punk is fast and has the energy that led to thrash metal. Many early thrash bands (Slayer, for instance) were highly influenced by punk. They liked the aggressiveness and speed of punk and so they decided to combine that with heavy metal and make fast music that has heavy riffs and guitar solos that are common in most metal.

And you're joking about Blink 182 and Sum 41 being punk, right? I think it's hard to mention punk without mentioning bands like Sex Pistols and Minor Threat. Sex Pistols really have the punk attitude. When they were inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, they didn't show up to their own ceremony! Instead, they sent a hand-written (totally punk to hand write it instead of type it) letter to the Hall of Fame and called their institution a "piss-stain."
sixstring_psycho
JoshuAAR wrote:
Same as everyone else really. I love Blink 182, New found Glory, Sum 41 and all of those type bands. But they really are a POP version of punk.

I'de say for more punk like bands i like NOFX and The Descendants the most. Very Happy

I know this is an old post, but I am a newbie (a little under 1 week), but I like Descendants/ALL and NOFX as well! NOFX can be pretty funny at times! And some of their guitar riffs can be a little hard on the faster songs like on White Trash, Two Heebs And a Bean.. Love their style and and how they blend the two guitar players in the music.. creative punk! I saw the Descendants in Joplin, MO at a skate park years ago.. interesting band. They are not the type to have body guards around either. They played their tunes, then stuck around and talked to everyone... it was pretty cool except I really didn't have anything to say but, "hi", and walked on by them! lol
tingkagol
I usually opt out of classifying certain bands into a certain genre, fearing the wrath of purists- punk and metal to be exact - but hey, for a more loosely-defined 'punk', I've enjoyed early Greenday and the 1st album of Mest. Those are more recent bands, sure. I haven't quite reached out into the back catalog of the genre.

Quote:
And you're joking about Blink 182 and Sum 41 being punk, right?

I don't know much about Sum 41. But based on the songs I've heard from them, they're not fast enough to be 'punk', I guess.

As for Blink, I don't know about their newer material, but they have some early songs that I would consider punk.

I don't think there's any stringent requirements before a song can be called 'punk'. If the song is fast, features distorted guitars, has 3-4 usually melodic chords playing over and over, and has a length of a little over 3 minutes or less, then that's enough for me to call that song 'punk'. At least that's the genre's most distinguishable features.
tingkagol
Come to think of it, genres really are stupid. Take 'punk' for example. That genre has little to do with exactly how a 'punk' song sounds, which makes it the most ridiculous music genre ever invented. Same goes for metal.

I guess what I'm saying is contrary to popular belief, genre labels aren't exactly good things for music but rather the opposite.
Tuvitor
Punk was an attitude, not a style. Sure it affected the style, but the real punk was always quite eclectic, ranging from the Clash to the Ramones, Black Flag to the Dead Kennedys... These days it seems that any distorted barre-chord jerkfest is called punk if the lead singer sounds snotty enough.

It was an attitude that affected style. An attitude of questioning authority and standing on one's individual strength without compromise. An attitude that said "F-You" without holding back.
Laro696
Sex pistols, ramones, nofx, misfts, bad religion.
Hate all these pop punk bands like good charlotte and blink182.
Punk is about getting drunk and breaking stuff
tingkagol
Laro696 wrote:
Punk is about getting drunk and breaking stuff

Quote:
(Punk) has little to do with exactly how a 'punk' song sounds, which makes it the most ridiculous music genre ever invented.
pll
Rise Against, Blink-182 & Shinedown seems to be the best bands!
catsbats92
I like many punk bands that are REAL punk rock!
1)dead kennedy's
2)new york dolls
3)sex pistols
4)the clash
5)the exploited
6)dead milkmen
7)the adicts
8)the misfits
9)the ramones
10)bowling for soup
11)x-ray spex
12)the runaways
13)greenday
14)blink 182
15)toy dolls
16)the virus
17)foo fighters
18)rancid
19)lars frederiksen and the bastards
20)anti-flag
21)jimmy eat the world
22)GBH
23)ghostmice
24)Nivana
25)30 seconds to mars
26)fm static
27)cheap sex
28)bad brains
29)the buzzcocks
punkrocks778649
Denvis wrote:
Sum 41 is my fav! I hate Blink 182

i think Sum 41 and Blink-182 are good.
punkrocks778649
mattyj wrote:
Green Day and Blink 182 are neither Punk or Punk-Rock, no matter how big and bold and underlined you type it, they are POP, end of story

clearly u dont kno music.
PUNK ROCK:
-The Ramones
-The Sex Pistols
-The Clash
HARDCORE PUNK
-Pennywise
-Bad Religion
-Rancid
POP-PUNK
-Blink-182
-Green Day
-Good Charlotte
SKA-PUNK
-Goldfinger

WUT IM TRYNA SAY IS: it all comes from punk rock dude. and punk is more of an attitude(who givs a ******). and as long as u got that attitude, play loud and fast music, ur punk. Blink and Sum play pretty loud and fast music n they dont giva ******. overall, they r influenced by punk bands. it has punk in it as del as pop.they re pop-punk. not just pop. pop is shit like The Click 5, Maroon 5, One Direction. Blink-182 and Sum 41 r totally Pop-Punk. MAN OVERBOARD!!! DEFEND POP-PUNK!
Lishmares
Murderdolls, The frankenstein drag queen from planet 13, Wednesday the 13, Psycho Opera and Maniac Spider Trash (those are all the same by the way) It's horror punk and it's the best, you wont find any other band that looks like this and if you do tell me!!
fuzzkaizer
there was a time when 'punk' bands, when they got on stage, managed to scare the shit out of quite a big part of the mainstream population, while other parts of population got quite upset, some forming instant lynch-mobs, which used the name 'punk' not ironically at all. and it certainly was the punks' attitude to give a f... on anything -
meanwhile it's not so easy for wannabe punks to do some public provocation. anyone can go ape as hard as he wants, while the manistream doesn't give a ....
Arrogant
Green Day ofcourse
The only band left with good punk-music around..
Every new album is different from the previous.
Pande
The Sex Pistols hands down
zaxacongrejo
clash
dead kenedys
x ray spec
pistols

shashwatblack
is greenday punk?

MOD - Spam link removed. Please review The Forum Rules and the Frihost FAQ
-Ankhanu
ZeytinGrafik
exploited and sex pistols were good bands back when i was listening to punk. i still stick with heavy metal but listen to all kinds of music.
pravojednostavno
Green day
johans
Sorry but i dont like to listen punk music.
spinout
punk. Well we had several great swedish bands. The last concert I was to was ASTA KASK... well they had some hits like - "ringhals brinner" - i.e. the nuclear powerplant is on fire... hehe
sysna
The offspring is my favorite, actually I don't like punk but The Offspring is just something different. And of course my favorite punk song is "The kids aren't alright". Among other punk-rock bands i think The Offspring has the best lyrics.
kaysch
I love punk music, especially when it's just 1 second long.
kaysch
I love punk music, but only when it's just 1 second long. Like this one from the band The Descendents called All. Mind you, they even published an album in 1987 with this song as its first track.

fuzzkaizer
stranglers, stooges, ramones. basically that what some here call 'old punk'. lots of the other stuff mentioned here we called 'hardcore' back in the 80ts/90ts - bad religion for example was labelled 'straight edge hc' or something like that... now 20 years later it seems to be punk?
PBMaxx
I don't care how these are classified but my favorite are,
    BlackFlag
    The Clash
    Joy Division
    Fishbone
    Death
    Sex Pistols

And I still think Fishbone is badass in it's current incarnation. Dancing