FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what books do you recommend to people?

TurtleShell
My question: what books do you consistently find yourself recommending to people and why? What books do you wish you more often met people who had read them because you wish you had someone to discuss them with? Here's my list:

1) The Once and Future King, THWHite--because it's beautiful
2) The Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace--it's wordy and intelligent
3) Tale of Two Cities, Dickens--because Sydney Carton is my favorite character EVER
4) House of Leaves, Mark Z Danielewiski--it's the weirdest book I've ever read
5) Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Klay, Michael Chabon--it's my favorite
6) Time Traveler's Wife, by...some girl I can't remember--it's good clean fun
7) Dark TOwer Series, Stephen King--I can't even describe them
aadler82
1) The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky because of the complexity of life and the many aspects of psychology shown throughout. To me it successively imitates reality.
2)To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf because of her genuis incorporation of various philosophies of the nature of reality and her close display of the characteristics of human thinking.
3)Siddhartha by Herman Hesse because of its touching expression of humanity.
4)The Analects of Confucius because of its inspiring focus on human relations and ethics.
5)Ulysses by James Joyce because of its general greatness and witty humor.
Boo hoo!
selammussie
my favorarite book is the eight It is written by Cathrine
sorry that i missed out her last name
I love that book Its all about who to trust
every body there seems to decive
I love everything about that book
and the chapter of meeting solarin
is my favarite part of it
hope you already had read it!!!!
chartcentral
I will not be naming a particular book... But as for me, I'd recommend adventure and action books. Those that excite and entertain you when you are reading it. It makes you widen your imagination.
missdixy
There are many books I'd recommend but for the sake of vebrity I'll just list two:

The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
and The Catcher in the Rye.

Seriously real good books. I couldn't put either down and was so disappointed when they ended.
faithmichi
Copper Sun by Sharon Draper
Its such a compelling story that makes you fall in love with the protagonist almost immediately. It made me cry for a particular character, and I don't cry at all for books. There's lots of angst and drama in this book. It's a book written mainly towards teenage readers, but I recommend teenagers, adults, and elderly to read this heartwarming and angst-y story.
mattyj
i normally dont read books (read magazines and journals)

but im reading "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson at the minute and loving it

everyone should have a read of that....a science book written for non science people
wonderline
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, for starters. The imagery is beautiful and second to none.

Also, most of the books by Paulo Coelho. He's remarkable and inspirational; you'll find yourself tangled into his weave of fiction the moment you read his work.
TurtleShell
mattyj wrote:
i normally dont read books (read magazines and journals)

but im reading "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson at the minute and loving it

everyone should have a read of that....a science book written for non science people

I loved that book!! the whole volcano under yellowstone thing freaks me out.
Starrfoxx
Hi there. I've been reading quite a few books. Some of the ones I would recommend that have been fun to read are:

The Secrets of Droon series.
Percy Jackson & The Olympians (all 4 books)
Children of the Lamp (all 3 books)
The Candy Shop War
The Princess Bride (Awesome to read, even if you saw the movie)
Vampirates (interesting mix of pirates and vampires)

And for a little bit more heavier reading:

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
Jurassic Park & The Lost World (both are much better and entertaining than the movies)
The Bourne Identity (forget the movie, the book is way better)

Soon, I'll be listening to the audio book series of:

Fablehaven
The Edge Chronicles
Pendragon by DJ MacHale
The Host
ProfessorY91
TurtleShell
ProfessorY91 wrote:

His Dark Materials, by Garth Nix (Name of Series)

actually, his dark materials was by philip pullman. I like that series too!
AFriedman
1) Dreams from my Father by Barack Obama
2) How the Scots Invented the Modern world by Arthur Herman, I think
3) His Dark materials by Philip Pullman is quite good
4) Jews, God and History by Max Dimont

...just a few...
hamza1122
There's a lot of books i recommend but one i just remembered that i read in school was a really good book. "Chinese Cinderella is a novel written by author Adeline Yen Mah which describes her experiences growing up in China during the Second World War. It was published in 1999 and is a revised version of part of her autobiography, Falling Leaves".

It's a really good book, very touching as well!
roninmedia
I still recommend Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Just because they are great fantasy, sci-fiction and even have their great hints of philosophy all rolled into and I think both novels are greater underrated and tarnished in some regards; the Starship Troopers movie gave a lot of people a false impression of what the novel is about. It is much more critical thinking and philosophy than just pure action. If they ever make a Ender's Game movie, it will do the same thing to the novel, focus more on the action.
flyfamilyguy
Robert James Waller
The bridges of Madison County.
Puerto Vallarta Squeeze,
One Good Road is Enough,
Slow Waltz in Cedar Bend...
slashnburn99
Ben Mezrich

for me

Breaking Vegas and Bringing down the house

Aswell as Ugly Americans

He also has another name

Holden Scott
PennyLane
I would recommend a Dutch book called 'Karakter' by Ferdinand Bordewijk. Love the story (we had to read it for school). The movie 'Karakter' (=Character) won an oscar for best foreign movie (1998)... I also love another Dutch book called 'De Aanslag' by Harry Mulisch.

Beside these 2 I love His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman en Harry Potter.
Dean_The_Great
I'll recommend nearly anything by Michael Crichton, or the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King, or certain Grisham novels such as "The Broker".

But really it depends on what kind of reader you are. The aforementioned books are all escapist best seller fodder, and if that's what you're looking for, those are great suggestions, but if you're looking for delightful documentary style non-fiction, I might suggest something like "Tuesday's with Morrie" by Mitch Albom instead.
The-Nisk
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, hands down.

or if you like mind-bashing stuff,

The Diary or Fightclub by Chuck Palahniuk.
kitsrock
While good storylines, character development, twists, etc are always good to see, I've always been a sucker for a good writing style. Identical story can turn out to give utterly different reading experience based on the writing style of the author.

I would like to suggest Hemingway, who wrote one of my favorite piece of work in mere six words, or James Joyce, who rocked my world with Dubliners and Finnegans Wake. But most of all, I suggest Gilbert Highet, who has a very long and flowy sentences that seem to last forever in its gentle elegance. Try looking for Talents and Geniuses by Highet in your local library, used or online bookstores, as the book is very old and is unlikely to be carried by places like Chapters.
amgoodwater
Some of my favorites (old and new) include:

Catch 22, Joseph Heller
Alias Grace, Margaret Atwood
Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood
The Road, Cormac McCarthy
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, Mordecai Richler
The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
The Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri
Dubliners, James Joyce
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, James Joyce
tocapa
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Noremac
The Godfather- Mario Puzo
The Sicilian- Mario Puzo
The Ice Man, confessions of a serial killer
Angels and Demons- Dan Brown
The Damage Done

so many more, I just can't remember.
JrMigSeixal
Hello!

One of my favourite books is "Memorial do Convento" of José Saramago, and it is in Portuguese. I think that the English version of this book is "Baltasar & Blimunda".
This book speaks about a construction of a convent for the Franciscan order due to a promise made by the king to God and one of the Franciscan's monk.
This book speaks also about the love of Baltasar and Blimunda and a dream of a priest (Bartolomeu de Gusmão) that wanted to construct an aerostat.

I strongly recommend this book! Smile