FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Just an ad button made with photoshop and gimp

ocalhoun
I was out of the blue offered a link exchange with a site I had never heard of, and needed to make a little banner quickly.
I fired up photoshop and the gimp, and this is what I came up with:

I thought it turned out rather well, so I decided to share it.
I have been using the gimp so long, I was surprised to find that photoshop was difficult to use! I originally learned on photoshop (v6), but now I keep looking for the gimp way of doing things (where's that darned rotation tool?). Everyone says photoshop is more user friendly than the gimp, but I begin to wonder if that isn't just because of familiarity.
shkhanal
Ya! but photoshop is more professional I guess!
Shewolf
I suppose they are just as bad, the both of them, speaking of userfriendliness. I am "native" in photoshop, and got huge problems find what I want when I want in GIMP. - So I suppose it's the same the other way around as well.
And for the professional part, the only "real" difference is that you have to pay a lot for Photoshop, and the GIMP is for free. When you know how to use the applications you can get pretty much the same result using either.
I first began to wonder, when reading your title, why you'd used both programs; but now I see why. When you're used to one of them, the switching part is rather hard. Anyway, the button turned out rather nice. The text might be a little too "similar" to the background, but it does not matter much.
catscratches
I think that GIMP's user-interface is a little more customazible than Photoshop's, but that makes it a bit harder to learn.

The image is pretty good but it's not very special and I don't think it gets a lot of attention. But I guess I think so cause I'm not interested in horses at all.
Ghost900
That is a nice small design you made there. Smile

I think that Gimp is an nice editor but even if Photoshop is harder to use you can do alot more with it.
zellfaze
ocalhoun wrote:

I have been using the gimp so long, I was surprised to find that photoshop was difficult to use! I originally learned on photoshop (v6), but now I keep looking for the gimp way of doing things (where's that darned rotation tool?). Everyone says photoshop is more user friendly than the gimp, but I begin to wonder if that isn't just because of familiarity.

I know what you mean, I tried to use photoshop too a few times. I know how to do the stuff from using the gimp, but you havent the slightest idea where things are.

Nice job on the buttons.
HamsterMan
I tried Photoshop once, but being used with gimp I didn't like it at all. I had expected them to be more similar than that.

(Offtopic: Does flash games go in this subforum?)
ocalhoun
HamsterMan wrote:

(Offtopic: Does flash games go in this subforum?)

Here, if you just want to show it off
Advertise your website if you have a site dedicated to it, or mainly based off it
Others in the scripting languages if you wanted help improving it.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I was out of the blue offered a link exchange with a site I had never heard of, and needed to make a little banner quickly.
I fired up photoshop and the gimp, and this is what I came up with:

I thought it turned out rather well, so I decided to share it.

I have had the same experience, except I was forced to use Gimp as when we were upgraded to fancy new computers, my old Photoshop Software could not be loaded. So I did a search and Voila free Gimp with detailed manuals, instructions. I really love Gimp. Very relieved too as to replace Photoshop would have cost a pretty penny.