FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Evil Microsoft .... New Laptops only come with Vista ...

deanhills
I find it almost unethical that I am forced to use Vista because almost 100% of new laptops come with Vista operating software without the choice of Windows XP. Since there is an ENORMOUS jump from Windows XP to Windows Vista I would have wanted to wait at least another year until they have tweaked all the bugs. I also want my operating software to be the same going from work to my desktop at home and laptop. I believe Sony Viao Laptops have the option of Windows XP, but where I am it is one of the most expensive laptops versus any of the others. I was given an excuse by one of the sales agents that Windows XP cannot utilize some of the more up to date features of the new laptops, which makes it worse for me, as it would seem that Microsoft has completely abandoned Windows XP in order to coerce people to use the new Vista instead of fixing Windows XP to work with the new hardware. And maybe the hardware manufacturers are in cahoots as if you are to use Vista (which Microsoft is now forcing you to do if you are to buy new hardware), you definitely need to upgrade your hardware in a great leap.

I also get this general feedback from sales agents that the poor manufacturers are completely helpless as far as Microsoft is concerned and are like victims, and I do not understand that. If hardware manufacturers have enough ethics to stand up to Microsoft, they will get what they want, but who is to say that they do not get a quid pro quo deal that we of course do not know the details off.

I genuinely wish there could be some good competition in operating systems. Microsoft seems to be too much of a dictator.
mathiaus
Some laptops that have Vista, will provide an XP Recovery Disc so you can downgrade if you so wish. I know Acer were doing this at one point.
deanhills
Thanks Matthiaus. Where I am that is available only with Sony. It could be available with others, but possibly sales people here are not as savvy.

I decided to postpone my decision to purchase a new Laptop until Vista has been around for a little longer Smile
mathiaus
My understanding is that any Vista licence key can be used with XP (so long as you use the right version). It's an MS thing, and can be done whether or not you are given a CD for it.

Don't take my word for it though, check it out first! Razz

Maybe a macbook? Not MS and you'd be hadpressed to find a better looking laptop. MAC OSX may take a little getting used to, but you may like it just as much, if not more. Or the Asus Eee PC?
deanhills
mathiaus wrote:
Maybe a macbook? Not MS and you'd be hadpressed to find a better looking laptop. MAC OSX may take a little getting used to, but you may like it just as much, if not more. Or the Asus Eee PC?

Thanks, I know this is good advice. I have heard the best of reports about MAC OSX and am tempted. Only problem is of course everything else in my life is Microsoft. But still, am very tempted. Smile
tdfranc
I found a good article about it:
see http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9040318&pageNumber=2
mehulved
deanhills wrote:
I find it almost unethical that I am forced to use Vista because almost 100% of new laptops come with Vista operating software without the choice of Windows XP. Since there is an ENORMOUS jump from Windows XP to Windows Vista I would have wanted to wait at least another year until they have tweaked all the bugs.

That's MS marketing at work. Linux users have been shouting in vain for years, now add microsoft's own XP users to it. And worse part is you can't do anything cos they have decided to phase out XP. That's their business decision and pretty difficult to revert it, ain't it?
ocalhoun
I had the same problem with my laptop. I had planned to downgrade it ASAP, but XP doesn't have the hard drive controller drivers, so it can't install!

I would use linux, but the internet connection I have is not compatible.
mathiaus
ocalhoun, you need to slipstream XP to a CD with those drivers. You should be able to find them somewhere.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Upgrade-your-new-laptop-from-Vista-to-XP/
kansloos
Microsoft practicly has a monopoly in the operating-system market, it can do what it wants. This quite troublesome, the example given is just one of many.

By the N-Lite is the easiest program to do the slipstreaming thingy and the drivers can be easily grabbed from the site of your motherboard vendor.

http://www.nliteos.com/
ssthanapati
i kinda like vista after using it... I find it better than XP in certain aspects... Is it so bad? I remember people not XP when it was first launched... Now every 1 wants to keep that
marsupilami
The reason is: Microsoft want to stop selling the six-year-old operating system on 30 January 2008 to leave the field clear for Vista.

Now the date on which many sellers of XP will no longer be able to offer it has been lengthened to 30 June 2008.

Windows XP reaches its end of life on 30 June but Microsoft has now said it can continue being sold until June 2010 but only on cheap desktops.

The extension Microsoft granted to XP for these low cost laptops, or netbooks, covered machines that have no more than 1GB of RAM; a hard drive up to 80GB in size; a processor running no faster than 1GHz; a screen no larger than 10.2in (25cm) and no touch screen.

The decision follows one made in April to extend the life of XP on low cost laptops until the same date.

It's the bad news, and in the future MS will not support XP any more.
Studio Madcrow
Lol. They only allowing XP to be sold on computers that are barely powerful enough to run XP (there's a reason most computers in that category come with Linux either by default or as an option). Typical Microsoft.
Kelvin
As an alternative to VIsta preinstalled notebooks.. you can op for the FreeDOS or Linux models so you can install the OS you want. MS is pushing for the VIsta switch and this is present in the way they price XP and Vista.... XP cost so much more.

Also many manufacturers who provide the FreeDOS or Linux notebooks don't have the relevant drivers needed for the notebook to run 100% error free. So you'll have to find the drivers by trial and error.

Ever noticed the XP logo sideways.. it's a smiley face with an xP .... haha
surdy
There are still (very few) Laptops available with option of XP.
Moreover if you have Vista Business or Ultimate , you can downgrade to XP . Microsoft gives that option.
There also are laptops available without any OS , its not very difficult to install OS of your own choice XP or LINUX.
There are laptops available with LINUX, you can keep it ( i suggest) or remove it to install your favourite windows.
There always are a lot of options no matter how hard Microsoft tries.

I developed an immunity against Microsoft's bullshit strategies, I use LINUX
Agent ME
What's the main reason that so many people want XP instead? Vista is pretty good compared to XP... I think it's funny that a lot of people really think they're sticking it to the man by using a different MS product instead of Vista Razz instead of using something like linux.
kansloos
I have a laptop with Vista as well, while it isn't that bad it Vista does feel a little bit more sluggish...
The problem is I don't need fancy effects, I need speed.
ciureanuc
"I have a laptop with Vista as well, while it isn't that bad it Vista does feel a little bit more sluggish...
The problem is I don't need fancy effects, I need speed."

C O R R E C T !

There is a way to erase all the bullsh*ts on Vista?
Task Manager show me a lot of unwanted processes... I just want NOT to load this when windows starts.
And... can anybody explain WHY I cannot install old softwares (Adobe InDesign CS for example) under Vista!???
Ankhanu
Agent ME wrote:
What's the main reason that so many people want XP instead? Vista is pretty good compared to XP... I think it's funny that a lot of people really think they're sticking it to the man by using a different MS product instead of Vista Razz instead of using something like linux.

kansloos wrote:
I have a laptop with Vista as well, while it isn't that bad it Vista does feel a little bit more sluggish...
The problem is I don't need fancy effects, I need speed.

Yup, that's the crux of it. I used Vista for about 5-6 months on a system supposedly designed for it and it was a frustrating, painful experience. I found it a horribly bloated, high latency OS that completely masked the capabilities of the system with its lack of performance. I eventually went looking for drivers and installed XP on the system and it's been a much happier computer.

If I want to "stick it to the man", I'll go back to using Linux on my PCs (I still am, just not on that particular system)... I'd say I was sticking it to the man by using my Mac, but let's face it, Apple's not TOO much better than Microsoft in terms of their business choices. Yeah, MacOS is a much better computing experience than either XP or Vista, but they're really not much better in a business sense.