FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

When Was the Last Time You Went Camping?

What do you think about camping?
LOVE IT!
74%
 74%  [ 29 ]
HATE IT!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Never Been - Would Like To Though
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Not interested.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 39

KatanaSky
I went camping for the first time last week and it was AWESOME. I imagine camping is like one of those love or hate type things - and definitely something that everyone should try to do at least once in their life time.

I loved every part of the experience from driving the hour to the camp site, setting up the tents, to taking down the tents and driving back home. I loved just hanging out and talking with everyone and how no one gave a care what time it was. See, at home even on my days off I find myself constantly looking at the time, and trying to get things done. When we were camping we were just hanging out and just relaxing which was REALLY nice.

When was the last time you went camping? When/where did you go? What was it like? Do you like camping or would you like to go, why or why not? What are your favorite/least favorite things about camping?
Afaceinthematrix
I frequently go camping, but the camping that I do is not the typical car camping that most people do. I do a lot of backpacking, which means that I put everything I'll need for a week or more in my backpack and hike everyday, miles away from my car or any other people. I love it.
ocalhoun
Does air force field deployment training count?
That was NOT fun, but recreational camping is.
yupeng
I have never have campion ,and want to have an experience with it~
SpellcasterDX
No I have never been camping, but it's definitely something I'd like to try. It seems like it would just be very relaxing to go get away from your usual routine and camp somewhere and just do whatever. Very Happy
Masacchi
Hmm.. o.o last time I went camping was over the summer as a senior trip. It was.. interesting to say the least. Our coordinator was unable to go at the last minute, and he had accidentally ordered two picnic sites instead of campsites, but it was still fun. ^^ We had three cars, drove for one hour, made a stop at a tourist site, then continued for another hour, ate lunch, and drove the last half hour up to the mountain and whatnot. On the way up, while searching for a campsite, my dad's car's engine die. xD Luckily, a friend was able to jumpstart it and we were able to continue.

After we got everything set up (the girls were in a huuuuge tent while the guys shared 2,2,3), one car went down to get some more food/drinks while the others worked on getting the fire started. ^^~ After we finished, some people went hiking while we made another trip down.. and when we got back, were treated to a unique dance performance from a good friend. <<; ;>> May or may not be on Youtube.. haha xD. Then at night, we watched the stars, looked for any shooting stars, and stayed up late playing games. Yeapp.. ^^ It was fun.

Umm.. thing I hate most about camping.. ~.~; the bugs..? They're a huge pain, especially when they try to eat your food.
standready
It has been many years since I went "tent" camping. My parents have a big motorhome so I can't really say I call that camping more like parking. LOL
Teenosaur
The last time I went camping was actually a 3 day hike, it was preparation for another hike earlier in the year. Since we were up in the mountains, it got below 0. I remember being soaking wet from the walk later in the day, I was shivering so much that I just couldn't get to sleep. My shoes, water, clothes, compass, hat, food and tent were frozen by the time we woke up, which made things incredibly hard to pack up. What I found funny was that the previous night we had left out this milk water mix in a huge pot, when I looked inside it, it was just a huge white ice block. I tipped it out on a plate and got some photo's of it.
This was about a month ago, ah, good times.
Srs2388
I'm from arkansas YEEHHHHHAWWWW! i love that there deer huntin' capmin' yehaw
out there in them there woods drinkin bud light. woooo
lmao.. kidding.
I have been but I don't really like it... I would like it if i had someone to go camping with...
like a girlfriend or something like that because it can be peaceful.
Don't really have that right now.. so I've kind of lost interest.
crimson_aria
The last time I went camping was when I was in elementary. I can't remember the exact year but it's sooooo years ago. It was a club event. There were lots of activities and it made me super happy. I really had fun. I'd love to go camping again.
ashish2005
Well I have to say that I have never went on a camping till now. The closest trip similar to camping would be the time I went on a 3 days trekking trip from a place known as Pothana to ghandruk (Nepal). There was this place which was called pothana and the famous Fish tail mountain was just there in front up us. The place was beautiful and there we set for the night. We did a campfire, sing songs, danced and enjoyed a lot. But we slept in a room and not inside a camp Very Happy
jylan
I love camping. The last time we went was to a place called Blackdown Tablelands (photos here on my blog). It is a huge tableland hundreds of metres above the surround plains. When we went there it had been raining so all the creeks were flowing well, and we had a terrific time swimming and stuff.

The funny thing is, we stayed for the weekend and there was nobody else camping there! There were daytrippers though who had come up to see all the creeks flowing (because it's quite a rare event). The only campers there arrived when we were packing up.
loonix
I was brought up with camping holidays. I love it. Tho the last time we went (2 years ago) it rained, the tent leaked and we woke up floating around on the airbeds =)
Tumbleweed
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I frequently go camping, but the camping that I do is not the typical car camping that most people do. I do a lot of backpacking, which means that I put everything I'll need for a week or more in my backpack and hike everyday, miles away from my car or any other people. I love it.

Ditto.........Smile.......allthough it has been a while since I have done a whole weeks ( or more ) hiking,but tend to go roughly every six months or so on weekend jaunts, I dont use a tent because its much easier to carry a bivvi bag and hammock when ridge walking (which is what I tend to do, or at least call it )
Terracarnus
I have just come back from a camping trip in Wales. It was basically a activity camp for kids, so in addition to setting up tents and stuff and taking the kids to the different places we had to cook for them and take care of camp maintenance - for a camp with about 100 tents it was an achievement! I like that sort of large scale camping a lot because you get to be part of a very close-knit community for a week, but it can get very stressful when you are faced with feeding everybody. I think camping on your own or in very small groups is a bit boring tho, and don't like it that much.
Josso
Been camping all my life. It's best at music festivals to be honest, but yeah I go camping all the time - got quite a few tents myself. Never really liked caravans or campervans if that's what you mean Mad

Brilliant atmosphere, I'm not sure why - maybe it's just being outside - some part of your brain that remains from the caveman era triggers some peace of mind. Who knows? Anyway yeah. It seems strange to me that people HAVEN'T been camping before... you need to do it at least once.
driftingfe3s
Haven't been camping very often, but the times that I have went, I have enjoyed it. The last camping trip I had was for one of my college classes to go out in the feild and study some animals. It was great place and I was with fun people. Even though it rained at night and we were forced to walk a half mile to a intertidal zone with it sprinkling the next morning, it was great experience.
blackheart
Teenosaur wrote:
The last time I went camping was actually a 3 day hike, it was preparation for another hike earlier in the year. Since we were up in the mountains, it got below 0. I remember being soaking wet from the walk later in the day, I was shivering so much that I just couldn't get to sleep. My shoes, water, clothes, compass, hat, food and tent were frozen by the time we woke up, which made things incredibly hard to pack up. What I found funny was that the previous night we had left out this milk water mix in a huge pot, when I looked inside it, it was just a huge white ice block. I tipped it out on a plate and got some photo's of it.
This was about a month ago, ah, good times.

Teenosaur is actually my sister, and I did the same hike as she's done/is doing. First there's just a three or four day prep, and then the "real" hike is 33 days long (well, 2+ plus weeks hiking, 10 days rafting, the rest cycling).
Mine was from just north of Mt. Bulla down to 90 mile beach (in Victoria, Australia), although I'm not sure where Mad might be going if they run hers.

On mine one of the most extreme days was camped on the top of Mt Bonjerard (I'm not sure how it's spelled) on a helipad in the middle of the bush. I'd been collecting cans on a metal poll presumably from the flap on the back tray of a Ute and stuck it next to my tent. That night there was a huge lightening storm, while we were surrounded by clouds, and all I could think about was that damn poll! Haha, and the rain was that thick you couldn't see two feet ahead of you when you went to the loo. (Which made the river crossings hard the next day, if there hadn't been a number of 4Wdrivers around willing to set up cables we might have had to change our route).

So... I love camping. My family's gone away camping recreationally by beaches quite a bit, but I'm also a Scout so have camped competitively too (had to maintain the site, cook to certain standards, built facilities, etc).
Just being in a tent with someone while it's raining is great, the relaxed atmosphere is great, the smell of the air is great, cooking communally is great, everything is great lol.

However I'm in year 12 this year I can't remember the last time I went camping, maybe a couple months ago... can't wait till I've got the time to go away again.

driftingfe3s wrote:
Even though it rained at night and we were forced to walk a half mile to a intertidal zone with it sprinkling the next morning, it was great experience.

I've had it that cold and wet at night that my boots have frozen, and another time had to walk more than 20km with a 20kg pack on my back to the otherside of a steep valley (straight down, straight up lol).

=> Jess
pll
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
means that I put everything I'll need for a week or more in my backpack and hike everyday, miles away from my car or any other people. I love it.

I should and I will try someday.
Yourself with yourself... maybe some animals depending on where you are.

I've gone camping some times and it was fun! But it wasn't wild camping. It was on a camping field so it's not like true camping in the forest with some bears. But I really want to try and go in the forest far away and camp there for some days... It seems to be something fun.
I wonder how will I be able to live without internet for more than 3 days but...
Cool
BugBear
Haha I went camping last weekend. I also loved it as I didn't know most of the people I went camping with and got to know lots of interesting people.

I'll be going camping around 2 more times this summer vacation Smile.
gcaughill
KatanaSky wrote:
I went camping for the first time last week and it was AWESOME. I imagine camping is like one of those love or hate type things - and definitely something that everyone should try to do at least once in their life time.

I loved every part of the experience from driving the hour to the camp site, setting up the tents, to taking down the tents and driving back home. I loved just hanging out and talking with everyone and how no one gave a care what time it was. See, at home even on my days off I find myself constantly looking at the time, and trying to get things done. When we were camping we were just hanging out and just relaxing which was REALLY nice.

When was the last time you went camping? When/where did you go? What was it like? Do you like camping or would you like to go, why or why not? What are your favorite/least favorite things about camping?

In regards to the posts question, I went camping last in 2005 with my father. I am not sure why I have not been camping since then.... maybe due to scheduling factors. Maybe I should go again this fall, usually we go to Algonquin Park, one of the great gems in Ontario. It is huge and if you go after Labour Day weekend, most of the rowdie drunkards are gone and it is much more peaceful.

Plus all the great canoeing, hiking and other fun activities... wait, maybe I should go camping now... no, it is raining, I think I will stay inside.
Fatality
I don't remember exactly, but my family and I have always been fond of camping and usually plan several trips for a summer. Some small 2-3 nigh camp trips where we stay in the state parks or state forests. We have gone to the Black Hills, SD a few times, and just a few years ago when to Washington, D.C. Since I'm in college now I'm not able to go on as many camping trips as I used to in high school. I haven't gone on any this year yet, but hopefully I'll be able to go sometime this summer.
Haelyn
I actually went camping last weekend! Very Happy

It was a blast. Had a great time. We didn't bring any of the newer 'gadgets' that basically turn camping into a joke/hoax. We used the fire pit, which we used for all cooking, and making of tea. No electric outlets, no gas or propane grills. Even had to start a fire in the rain (which we managed!)

It is much more fun camping when you are actually camping, instead of just bringing your house to see a couple trees.

Cheers!
joostvane
Last time I went camping was with my secondary school (3th grade, 15 years old) in the winter in northern Italy, the alpes.

It wasn't really camping but we spend the night in some sort of mountain hut. It was freezing and there was no heating. Nobody slept! It was a experience I will never forgot and those who wanna do it: don't doubt about it, just do it. Very Happy
missdixy
I have never been camping Mad
Someday maybe. I've always wanted to..
ashen
Hm... It was long time ago. The last time was when I'm still on the Elementary School, I was the leader of my camping group. Even we were very young but we can made the tent manually and cooked food to eat manually too (we collect branch or small tree part o make a fire, but the foods taste are very horrible... XD ) without any help from our teacher.
Too bad, when the night come there was an unexpected hard rain. Our tent was too thin to hold the falling water and it leaked inside of the tent. But we were too busy with our dream and didn't notice that. Lol! Laughing
But it was fun, I want to do that again. Very Happy
Wolf1918
I love camping but it's been years since I've been able to go. Last time I went though it was kind of rough. It rained a lot, it was very muddy and I wasn't prepared for it. I didn't have proper boots and trying to walk in sneakers in deep mud is a pain.

This camping trip, like all my camping trips, was a tent camping trip. I've never had an RV (maybe some day but that's not what I really call camping.) We had a little 3 or 4 man dome tent. One of those ones you can't stand up in. Sleeping bags on the floor and all. Fortunately, the tent had a floor, it didn't leak and we stayed dry, at least while inside the tent.

One of my friend's got their car stuck in the mud and we all tried to help push him out. Once the car actually started to move one of the guys pushing ended up face down in the mud. It was just like a scene from a comedy movie ... except at the time it wasn't exactly funny. Very Happy

Chad
Magicman
I've had some bad experiences while camping, including the tent being filled with hundreds of mosquitoes. Aside from those few times, I've always found camping to be pretty fun. The last time I went was at the end of last summer.
hlavco
Last time I went camping was way too long ago. We went on a canoe trip up the Hudson River, camping out anywhere we could find over four or five nights. It was a lot of fun, but really tiring. This summer I want to take my friends on a camping trip, but I need to find a job first so I can afford gas and food for the trip.
Drawingguy
I went camping once, when I was about 7, with my parents, and to tell the truth, it was not a fun experience at all. There wasn't much to do where we were, and the mosquitoes...oh, the mosquitoes. I'm from Trinidad, in the Caribbean, where mosquitoes are really, really common, but I can't describe how unfun those mosquitoes were.
Sphaerenkern
I went camping for years... It's quite interesting to have a different comfort and setting up your "home". Camping with little igloo-tents is somehow funny, but camping with some huge tents is feeling too much like living in a house, I guess.
Anyway, I prefer staying in a hotel or something, but I don't hate camping.
Donutey
Boundary waters wilderness area in northern Minnesota is an awesome place to go. Just bring/rent a very light canoe because it's much more awesome because with just a short portage you there's suddenly an entire new area opened up to you.

We setup camp on a little island campsite that consisted of one fire pit and a hole in the ground toilet. Spent most of the time exploring via canoe or hiking and unsuccessfully fishing Rolling Eyes (I'm used to fishing in the southern US so we completely failed...)
Thumpercats
I havent gone camping in about five years now.

I love to go camping and want to go camping sometime this augest!
hlavco
I love camping. One of my favorite feelings in the world is being outside bright and early in the morning, when it's still kinda dark and everything's quiet. Problem is, I hate actually getting out of bed at any time before ten or eleven o'clock. But when you're camping you just sorta naturally wake up that early. Either that or my father wakes us up because we have to be outta there to make good time on our trip before we have to stop and pitch our tents somewhere else.
norbert1
but seriously, camping is fun, because it brings you back to the basics of living. When you just travel and stop at the end of the day to find a camping place and does not take your complete household with you it is fun. Also prevent going to a campsite where your nabours would go to, but set your tent up next to the people of another culture to learn. Also it can be fun for your children, but it depends what your children like, so for some it is a dread,
bow_death4
its just fun to go sometimes but there isnt an option for that lol
jhamz
when I was high school... It so fun.. I really enjoy it... Very Happy
psycosquirrel
Last time I went was April.

I'm going again in a week and two days!

Me and my girlfriend are going to a park in Florida called Rocky Bayou. It's really cheap to stay there ($8 a night), and is right near Destin and Fort Walton beach.
biljap
I don’t even remember when the last time I went camping was. I was long time ago…
But I am sure of one thing – if you choose a right place and good company (friends, family), it can be something really fun!

I look at my brother and see how happy he and his friends are when they camp during summer, close to the river! It just like they went to vacation!
Though sudden rain can make problem, that’s true Wink
goutha
76% of you guys love camping.

I think that it's a biased result Smile not sure that 76% of english speaking population around the world likes camping.

For me, I Love It !
ForceRun
We use to go all the time when I was a kid. But not so much when it is my choice.
I hate campers i live behind a big camping place(= people pies in your strawberry plantage and having sex in your garage.) argh Evil or Very Mad
miquelxx
I went camping last year and it was very nice i love camping i like to be in contact with the nature
Crinoid
And for car-less people?
I did some approximation of camping, for weekends, with payment for the roof over head (it can't be named hotel, plywood houses without batrooms and camp kitchen one for all, no service at all).
It was nice: seeing trees, sky, water, no city noise. But I strongly prefer the different climatic zone, but there it should be full vacation package with services included, even if shelters are of the same quality. But in between stop stations, it's walking on mountains with backpack, with a group of similar equipped people, watching environment, different from usual plants and animals, and reaching the ultimate goal of trip - sea. Love that!

It all stops, when the children come (or situation changes). All resources and time are tied elsewhere. This is why I marked the poll: not interested Confused It was nice to make a memory trip, though.
Afaceinthematrix
Donutey wrote:
Boundary waters wilderness area in northern Minnesota is an awesome place to go. Just bring/rent a very light canoe because it's much more awesome because with just a short portage you there's suddenly an entire new area opened up to you.

We setup camp on a little island campsite that consisted of one fire pit and a hole in the ground toilet. Spent most of the time exploring via canoe or hiking and unsuccessfully fishing :roll: (I'm used to fishing in the southern US so we completely failed...)

Unsuccessful fishing? Wow! I've been to boundary waters wilderness area in Minnesota (and Canada - although I couldn't tell the difference between the two countries because the trees and lakes looked the same) and I caught huge fish. I caught huge northern pikes and bass. I went canoed 80-90 miles. That trip was fun.
PatTheGreat42
I tried to go camping last weekend, but the campground was full, so we set up the tent in the hotel room and pretended.
Rico
Not long enough.