FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows included in MacBook pro?

jsd0505
Planning to buy a MacBook pro, and I'm wondering if it's a Windows-license included for the virtual desktop-function?
teko
I dont fully understand what you mean, but if you΄re buying a macbook pro you get OS X included, if you want to run windows on it you will need a seperate windows license to run windows on a mac

I hope that answers your question if not let me know otherwise I can try again
jdpd
jsd0505 wrote:
Planning to buy a MacBook pro, and I'm wondering if it's a Windows-license included for the virtual desktop-function?

I think i know what your saying. If u are planning on using a Virtual Windows emulator for MacOS you will need to purchase a full windows copy too. Or if you want you can save money and just buy windows and use Bootcamp which comes with Leopard to boot a full noise windows version
thetinyclam
Lol, why even bother with a virtual desktop, it'll just slow down your computer, and the whole point of getting a mac is OSX anyway. I mean if you really want, just get Vista/XP and install an OSX mod. Here is the best Windows to OSX converter: http://www.flyakiteosx.com/ Enjoy!
Ankhanu
MacOS doesn't come with a Windows lisence... it comes with the BootCamp software, which allows you to install Windows (or Linux) as a second OS on your system. You still need your own copy of the OS you want to install, however. They just make it easier to do.

You can also use a virtual console, like Parallels desktop, which will run another OS on a virtual machine on the Mac while MacOS is operating. Parallels will also allow you to drag and drop files between the two OSes, which can be pretty handy.

In either case, you're not given a Windows OS to use, you have to provide your own... but it is designed to easily run it.
eekieskywalker
yea, u ve to buy windows urself...
but why windows, mac os can do everything in a better manner.... it rocks!!
swizzy
jsd0505 wrote:

You can run windows and mac natively (ie. dual boot) with Boot Camp, and you can run windows and mac parallely (i.e. virtualization) with VmWare/Parallels

Both will require you to buy the windows licenses separately
mehulved
Why would Apple sell you competitors products, even if you pay them for it? Just doesn't make any business sense, does it?
Definitely Apple won't sell you windows, licensed or unlincensed with their computer.
So, no Macbooks don't come with windows, you have to get a licensed copy separately or pirate if you wish to.
ProfessorY91
Quote:
You can run windows and mac natively (ie. dual boot) with Boot Camp, and you can run windows and mac parallely (i.e. virtualization) with VmWare/Parallels

Both will require you to buy the windows licenses separately

This reply makes the most sense. FYI if you have a WinXP CD you should have no problems installing, with bootcamp. You may need to change the date (temporarily) for BootCamp to run if you do not have OS X Leopard. Like if you have Tiger, or something earlier. Your partitioned HD must be about minimum 10 GB for windows as well. Those two things were the only two surprises that I came across when using BootCamp. Also, dont forget to create the driver CD when it asks for it.... I'm saying way too much too fast anyways. Maybe use the How To on Apple's page.
swizzy
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Also, dont forget to create the driver CD when it asks for it.... I'm saying way too much too fast anyways. Maybe use the How To on Apple's page.

hmm... nowadays you dont need to burn the disc, simply insert mac osx install dvd 1 and it shows up as a CD in windows systems, it has the windows drivers.