FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Registry clean, then want shutdown

jsd0505
One week ago i cleaned up my registry, and after that my computer want turn of correctly. Could that have anything to do with the clean Question
eznet
It could, but there are a lot of thing that could be causing the problem. I am guessing you were having problems before you cleaned your registry (which is usually why people start trying to clean up)? What were those problems? Also, what tool did you use to clean your registry? I also would try loading up a task manager while shutting to see if I could catch a glimpse of any hanging applications - I am betting there is some program that is helping bring on this problem.
jsd0505
eznet wrote:
I am guessing you were having problems before you cleaned your registry (which is usually why people start trying to clean up)? What were those problems? Also, what tool did you use to clean your registry?

The problem wasn't there before. I cleaned my registry because my computer worked terrifying slow. Used Wise Registry Cleaner.
Indyan
Most decent registry cleaners create a backup and provides the option to restore deleted registry entries. Check if the tool you used has any such option.
If not then check and see if there are any available system restore points to restore your computer to the condition it was in before the registry cleanup.

And a tip for the future - dont use unknown registry cleaners. Stick to known safe ones like Tuneup Utilities.
Craeft
When you say it won't shut down correctly, in what way?

Does it hang at shutdown?
Does it give you an error?
Does it "bluescreen"?
Does it shut down ok but when you restart it takes you to boot up options?

I am assuming it's the first on that list, but better to be certain before trying to troubleshoot.
tdfranc
jsd0505 wrote:
One week ago i cleaned up my registry, and after that my computer want turn of correctly. Could that have anything to do with the clean Question

Don't mess with your registry,
although these programs seem fine and they try to be,
there could go something wrong,
I use to do it too, but after a while, I had these strange errors, and things just didn't work anymore.
The only thing I could do was reinstalling Windows.
From now on, I try not to mess with my registry again (I learned my lesson).
Diablosblizz
tdfranc wrote:
Don't mess with your registry,
although these programs seem fine and they try to be,
there could go something wrong,
I use to do it too, but after a while, I had these strange errors, and things just didn't work anymore.
The only thing I could do was reinstalling Windows.
From now on, I try not to mess with my registry again (I learned my lesson).

Actually, editing the registry can be a good thing. Most programs that you've uninstalled don't fully remove itself, leaving leftover files in the registry, application data, and even Program Files. They could also leave .DLL files in the system32 directory. So, editing the registry to remove these programs are perfectly fine as long as you know that they're uninstalled. (Not listed in the Add / Remove Programs) If you don't want to do it yourself then you could always use a program called "Revo Uninstaller." This program is free, and it searches your computer for leftover files and registry entries.
nTonio
Although as few have said there are many register editors, with backups, but playing with registrations is higher shelf of pc user. You have to be on 120 percent sure what mean and what das certain file and is there any possible influence on other files and their work. There are many books written just about regedit… it should give you an image of this matter complication.
billgertz
try doing a system restore.. Very Happy. this thread is almost a month and two weeks already. the thread started might have been able to fix his issue..

anyway, i agree with the tdfranc and Indyan. Avoid using un reviewed registry cleaners..
nTonio
billgertz wrote:
try doing a system restore.. Very Happy. this thread is almost a month and two weeks already. the thread started might have been able to fix his issue..

But you have forgotten what is the purpose of forums... it isn't just a answer and help for the guy, but it is a hint for everyone that in future will meet with similar problem. Maybe most of people do not have idea what the search engine is, but there are some.