FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gimp

jsd0505
Not for webdesign, but ingenious for free editing of images! Not to good functionality, but with the rigth plugins it works like shit!

http://www.gimp.org/
eznet
jsd0505 wrote:
Not for webdesign, but ingenious for free editing of images! Not to good functionality, but with the rigth plugins it works like shit!

I don't agree. I used to feel this way, but the more I have been in a Linux environment, the more I like The GIMP. I am sure that your comparisons are likely coming from prior exposure to Adobe Photoshop, which is definitely a top-notch piece of software, but it is also an expensive piece of software. It definately is an adjustment coming from Photoshop to The GIMP because a lot of the layout is different in The GIMP, but with some practice you can do nearly all the same stuff - it just takes relearning how.

Here is a couple of images I fixed/altered using GIMP:

jsd0505
WOW! nice work with those pictures!
Phil
I've been using the Windows versions of GIMP for a long time now.
I'm not the most graphically talented guy around, but the GIMP does everything I want it to nfor my sites.
And the Windows versions have become more and more stable with each one. Not to mention resources, both on-line and off-line have become more plentiful.
Bengt
I have used it a few times just to check it out. And I really dislike the graphical user interface it has.
It's not convenient for me Smile
leontius
Someone told me that when you master both Photoshop and GIMP, you know that GIMP is the more inferior. I am not even close to master any one of them, but I know that GIMP is e.g. slower than Photoshop overall and does not import Photoshop .psd perfectly (can't open a 50 MB .psd with 1 GB RAM and 1.5 GB swap - not enough memory).
zjosie729
I can't afford to buy photoshop, so I use gimp for ALL my design work.
bissoboa
I've heard from friends of mine that GIMP is good but still far away from Photoshop. But I would encurage all you using GIMP beacuse it is free to use for all people!
georgeodowd
I agree that the UI in Gimp is horrifying. It may be possible to replicate a respectable subset of Photoshop's functionalities if you've got the time it takes to figure it out...
But I'm of the opinion that UI is all too often underrated (e.g. the 'yeah, it's important, but not essential' school of thought). I'd argue that the price of Photoshop is far less than the that of the hair that will stay on your head, the wrinkles that won't mar your face, the infinite cups of coffee you'd otherwise go through...

Smile
habboonefm
i once used this but took up too much ram (memory)
Wuppie
I have the GIMP too but it's not easy to quickly work with it. I don't wanna create great images with it, but making simple things is hard if you don't really learn how to work with it.
zellfaze
georgeodowd wrote:
I agree that the UI in Gimp is horrifying. It may be possible to replicate a respectable subset of Photoshop's functionalities if you've got the time it takes to figure it out...
But I'm of the opinion that UI is all too often underrated (e.g. the 'yeah, it's important, but not essential' school of thought). I'd argue that the price of Photoshop is far less than the that of the hair that will stay on your head, the wrinkles that won't mar your face, the infinite cups of coffee you'd otherwise go through...

Smile

It has been pointed out time and time again that photoshop's UI is equally sucky.

Wuppie wrote:
I have the GIMP too but it's not easy to quickly work with it. I don't wanna create great images with it, but making simple things is hard if you don't really learn how to work with it.

I have to say you are right about needing a bit of time to learn it.

None the less, the GIMP is a powerful extensible image editor.
Libby
GIMP is the BEST. I guess if you learned to edit photos using a different program, the GIMP might be hard to adjust to, but I'd only used really simple programs before learning the GIMP, so for me it was an easy adjustment! I'm so grateful to all the people who work on that program, there's no way I could afford Photoshop, but this way I can still do all my graphics... Yay for the GIMP!