FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Localhost on WAMP accessible on the LAN

pollux1er
Hi to every body. I'm building an application in php which is going to work on the Local Area Network. But I don't know how to make the folder of my application available on the network. What is the procedure to maki it possible.
LukeakaDanish
It should already be available.

Open command prompt, type in ipconfig, and use that to find you ip. You may want to set it as permanent.

Other computers on your network just type in your ip + : + the port you've assigned to LAMP to access your content.

That it! It'll only work while your computer is on and LAMP is running though...Very Happy
pollux1er
LukeakaDanish wrote:
It should already be available.

Open command prompt, type in ipconfig, and use that to find you ip. You may want to set it as permanent.

Other computers on your network just type in your ip + : + the port you've assigned to LAMP to access your content.

That it! It'll only work while your computer is on and LAMP is running though...Very Happy

I am working on windows, that is why i use WAMP. My preoccupation now is to know how do i set it permanet.
And one more thing, i don't know which port is assigned to WAMP (How may i know it?). I assume that the default port was 80, but when i typed it to another computer, the 403 error appears.

Be more explicit please.
Thank you.
LukeakaDanish
Hm..unless your firewall is blocking it, it should have worked...and yea, port80 is the default (at least thats what it is on my XAMPP install)

To set a default ip, right click your connection, -- propperties -- TCP/IP Connect -- propperties, and then set it in there.

Be sure to get all the numbers correct, they can be found out with the command ipconfig -all
pollux1er
You want me to set a default ip?
LukeakaDanish
pollux1er wrote:
My preoccupation now is to know how do i set it permanet.

I thought it was the IP you wanted to be set permanently.
pollux1er
On my Local network, Ip are activated by DHCP. My problem is to know the defaul port of WAMP on my machine.
LukeakaDanish
pollux1er wrote:
On my Local network, Ip are activated by DHCP. My problem is to know the defaul port of WAMP on my machine.

Go to localhost/ ...that should have some info for you...otherwise check the appache config..
pollux1er
I saw it. WAMP is really using tha port 80. I just made a left click on apache in the tray, the went to pache, then to install wervice. A prompt windows just went out and let me know that Apache is using the port 80.

But i also solved my problem. It was very simple. I just clicked on "Put it online". And it worked.

Thank for your help. Do you think i have to make my Ip static? Dou you think it can change one day because it is dynamic?
LukeakaDanish
pollux1er wrote:
I saw it. WAMP is really using tha port 80. I just made a left click on apache in the tray, the went to pache, then to install wervice. A prompt windows just went out and let me know that Apache is using the port 80.

But i also solved my problem. It was very simple. I just clicked on "Put it online". And it worked.

Thank for your help. Do you think i have to make my Ip static? Dou you think it can change one day because it is dynamic?

If your router gives out dynamic IP's, it will stop working if, for example the other computer is turned on first (gets given first IP in range), coz then you'll get the second IP in range.

So yea, if your relying on ip access to your server, set a static local ip - you'll get other advantages from that as well including but not limited to remote ftp / client-to-client bittorrent conn. / ability to host various games etc.
pollux1er
Thanks for the advice. I'll do.
Bockman
LukeakaDanish wrote:

If your router gives out dynamic IP's, it will stop working if, for example the other computer is turned on first (gets given first IP in range), coz then you'll get the second IP in range.

So yea, if your relying on ip access to your server, set a static local ip - you'll get other advantages from that as well including but not limited to remote ftp / client-to-client bittorrent conn. / ability to host various games etc.

Actually, most routers nowadays automatically try and maintain the same IP to each machine (and even old routers are able to adress a DHCP IP to a specific Mac address, but this is harder to setup).

But since you have a DHCP server, you are naturally also using the Routers DNS server and that means you are able to reach the machine by machine name instead of IP. For instance, if your computer is named "pollux" you will most likely be able to reach it using http://pollux (since WAMP is using default port 80, there's no need to use it on the address)
using this method, there won't be any problem with dynamic IP's because the router will always know what IP your machine is using. (given you use DHCP and DNS servers in the same router, that is)

Might be easier than setting up a fixed IP on your machine (and in the future having a possible IP conflict if the IP you set to your computer is also assigned to another PC by the DHCP server)

Be Well Cool
pollux1er
You are right. I tryed with the name and it also worked.
Nik5592
how do you make a static ip?
rvec
in your network you can just set that in networking settings. On the Internet you have to get one from your ISP.
sandep87
hello all

I am currently studying in a campus so the network is in the college head hands so i don't what type of network connection is used here.

I am using WAMP(Apache,MySql,Php). I don't know on which port the wamp server is running.
MY IP is 172.18.1.227

i developed a project and kept it in www folder of WAMP SERVER .

Now i want to access the project i created from another system in my hostel.

LAN is established in our hostel.

Waiting for your help
rvec
you have to put wanp online, I think there should be an option in the menu you get if you click on the wamp icon. Just type in the ip of the pc, and if you get nothing you should try to turn off all firewalls.
sandep87
i tried that also....
should the icon in the tray will turn into another color other than yellow if it is online?

i will try by switching off the firewall.
luisinhoc
sandep87 wrote:
i tried that also....
should the icon in the tray will turn into another color other than yellow if it is online?

i will try by switching off the firewall.

Yes when its all OK in wamp the icon turn green