FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

3G iPhone

ganesh
Steve Jobs announced the 3G iPhone today, and it is supposed to be available in about 22 countries by July 11th.

Additional features include 3G data connection instead of the previous EDGE, and now it is also having GPS!

Best of all, the price has been slashed to $199, but only with a 2 year contract. However, the ATT plan which makes the price $199 will give the user a hefty bill of more than $70 a month. So, ATT & Apple will be recouping the loss or subsidy they put on the iPhone price in the first place pretty soon!

What is your opinion on this new version of the iPhone? Are you tempted to buy one (if you already don't have it)? Or, is Steve Jobs again taking advantage of blind fanboy-ism to enrich his coffers further? Please put in your opinions in this thread!
pll
Well, I think it's something special. But I don't know why the "buzz" is so big about the iphone. I personnally am an apple fanboy but... I DON'T KNOW WHY!

The price cut of the iphone is sure nice, and the new features too! (I just bought an ipod touch for 300$ last month and THAT'S SAD I can't return it).

But why everybody on internet is talking about the iphone ?

Iphone 2.0, 3G, the new one... call it however you want ...... but it's ONLY A PHONE.

Well there is nothing new with it. We already saw touchscreen phones with GPS, wifi and 3G speeds(I'm thinking about the nokia N-95).
I only think that's because of the mysteries before Apple announces a new product. Remember one year before the first version came out ? The word iphone was already popular and everybody was curious to know what features it would have.

Well, I saw tons of speculations about the iphone 3g on the internet for the last 2-3 months (most of the time they were false{I saw a pic and it had a camera on the front?? Wow who imagined that it could have 2 cams on it... IT'S A PHONE. Also everything about the Ichat video conference features}).

I have to say that apple products are great (especially ipods/iphones) but why is there a so big "buzz" about it ?
rickinyorkshire
I think it's down to the design tbh, it worked a treat for the ipod etc.

I myself am looking on fleabay at the moment for a good deal on an iphone. The price should come down too soon.
surdy
IPhone 3G its all over the news. Everyone seems to be talking about just that for a couple of days now.

It surely looks like a great piece of equipment. Apple put everything that was missing in the older version into this one. 3G and enterprise services were the features i wanted most on Iphone.

This would surely make me go for IPhone instead of blackberry (which i had earlier thought of buying).

Thank God I waited for this and didn't go for blackberry or the older Iphone.

Its 10$ / month more but its great.

[qoute]I have to say that apple products are great (especially ipods/iphones) but why is there a so big "buzz" about it ?[/quote]
this is what they call marketing , and Steve Jobs surely knows how it is done Very Happy
misterXY
Well it's big in Canada with Fido & Rogers, both shity companies, are hosting it. Finally iPhone is coming to Canada
bjwok
i need a new phone badly (currently have a siemens A50 - the only phone i have EVER owned) and i will be getting a iPhone ASAP. Just trying to tie it in as my work phone at the moment... then it's goodbye to the siemens and goodbye 2GB iPod!
Seiji
I'm looking for a new phone also, Sprint has a new phone that was suppose to be like the iPhone and much cheaper but it doesn't have WiFi so that kinds of defeats the purpose. The 3G is only $199 but they get us with that $70/mo
smspno
I am planning to buy the iPhone just when it is available in Poland.
ganesh
The iPhone 3G data plan is an extra $30 per month compared to the previous plan!

And the original BOM (Bill of Materials) cost for the iPhone is only $174 apparently. Apple always makes a huge profit margin on its products. In my humble opinion, they have so many fanboys everywhere, that they can easily cut down on their marketing cost and take off 5 - 10% of their product pricing.

Edit: Came across this article as to why the iPhone is not as good as it sounds:

http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22279/52271-seven-reasons-new-iphone-sucks

(Comments are my own)

(1) Too expensive to own.: In the long run, apparently, the monthly fees more than cover the initial cost slash

(2) Can’t use the GPS like a GPS : Apparently the SDK policy is that real time route guidance is not allowed

(3) Can’t tether the iPhone to your laptop: If you want a 3G modem for your laptop, you can't use the iPhone.. but other phones can be! Talk about AT&T wanting to squeeze every last buck out of you!

(4) Still no cut and paste : Basic feature not available

(5) 2 MP camera: which can't even shoot video!

(6) No stereo Bluetooth : Can't replace your iPod! sorry about that, says Apple!

(7) The list goes on : No MMS, battery can't be replaced etc etc.

Do you still think the iPhone is worth the cost?
Guelila
First off, I dont live in the States so I don't really have a way to get one.
Second, Im very happy with my current iPhone, and I dont need to replace it with a 3G version of the same thing Confused

Plus, 3G services are relatively new down here (Chile) and the prices are way above what I would pay for 3G service..
pll
misterXY wrote:
Well it's big in Canada with Fido & Rogers, both shity companies, are hosting it. Finally iPhone is coming to Canada

Both shity companies ( well they are almost the same... Rogers is owning fido ).
Every cell phone company here in canada is shity.
There is a too big territory to cover and not much population on this territory.

hopefully the prices will go down soon...
neji
I'm afraid they will wait a bit.
Remember the past!

Dunno of it was for the iPod thouch or the iPhone but they lowered the prices after two months with 100$ and everyone was pissed off like hell. Didn't do them good.

Think they will wait a bit more. (half a year/a year?)

I bet on christmas/newyear period.
doppleganger
i would definitely want to own one, still wiating for it to be officially launched here in kuwait.

if any of u guys know abt it being launched in kuwait

pls notify me, i wanna buy one

i wanna buy one

i wanna buy one

i wanna buy one

i wanna buy one

i wanna buy one
neji
doppleganger wrote:
i would definitely want to own one, still wiating for it to be officially launched here in kuwait.

if any of u guys know abt it being launched in kuwait

pls notify me, i wanna buy one

i wanna buy one

i wanna buy one

i wanna buy one

i wanna buy one

i wanna buy one

If I was you, I would reserve one.

Here the shipping is terrible, every store has around 15 to 30 iPhones every 2 to 3 days.
80% 8GB's
15% 16GB Black
5% 16GB White

And there are ten people waiting outside every morning in the hope to receive one.
But then you have the reserved ones... Some shops do no reservations but they accept only people who sign in directly when taking a postpaid subscription.

In other words, it sux here =(
bjwok
same here in australia, shops only stocking minimal quantities. lots of people have missed out. i can't get mine before the 31st anyway, but i wonder why people are not buying direct from the carrier? you can just call optus (for example) and order one, might take a week or two, but it sure beats waiting at the stores!
driftingfe3s
My brother got one and I think its a nice phone despite all of it's negatives. Sure like ganesh said, you end up paying alot more becuase of the plan eventhought he phone is a low price, but other smart phones start at $500 only get more expensive from there, so it's basily the same. Either way the consumer looses Sad

I want to get the sony ericsson expera x1, but the thing will cost around $1000. I guess I'm going to have to choose another phone.
balend
The major new thing in the iPhone 3G is really software 2.0, which you can upgrade all current iPhones to. Ya you get 3G speed and a new form factor, which isn't all that different.
bjwok
i think 3G connectivity is enough of a reason on it' own isn't it?

for me, i have a siemens A50 and it's the only phone i have EVER had. as soon as virgin release their pricing i am comparing and buying!
nayloon
I don't need to use iphone. I think that itouch is good enough for me and ı use a handy with itouch
bjwok
do i need to state the obvious?

try making a phone call with a itouch and then come back to this thread champ.