FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting a job offer while you already have a job...

Have you taken a new job offer back to your current employer before?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

kody
So I've been with my current employer for just over 5 years now. I saw a posting the other week for a job that is right up my alley, for a company that I am very interested in, and for a position that would be "the next step" for my career.

I went for a few interviews, and yesterday I received an offer from the new company.

Has anyone had any experience in taking a new job offer back to your existing company, to see if they will try to beat the offer in order to keep you? What were your experiences like with this?

Do I "owe" my current employer a chance to keep me? What are the positives and negatives of taking the offer back to my current employer?

I could see a few things happening:
-They don't match the offer. Ok, fine, see you later...
-They match the offer. Well, the new position and company intrigue me more, so, fine, see you later...
-They come back with a significantly improved offer. Now what? Will it cause tension at the workplace going forward since you've "strong-armed" a better salary or position for yourself? Or does it show motivation or a go-getter attitude?

Curious what you all think!

Cheers!
mattyj
kody wrote:
So I've been with my current employer for just over 5 years now. I saw a posting the other week for a job that is right up my alley, for a company that I am very interested in, and for a position that would be "the next step" for my career.

I went for a few interviews, and yesterday I received an offer from the new company.

Has anyone had any experience in taking a new job offer back to your existing company, to see if they will try to beat the offer in order to keep you? What were your experiences like with this?

Do I "owe" my current employer a chance to keep me? What are the positives and negatives of taking the offer back to my current employer?

I could see a few things happening:
-They don't match the offer. Ok, fine, see you later...
-They match the offer. Well, the new position and company intrigue me more, so, fine, see you later...
-They come back with a significantly improved offer. Now what? Will it cause tension at the workplace going forward since you've "strong-armed" a better salary or position for yourself? Or does it show motivation or a go-getter attitude?

Curious what you all think!

Cheers!

I have been in this situation several times, and what i have always been told, is never stay with your current employer, even if they match your offer. Why? Because there was a reason you were looking at job ads...were you unhappy? did you want to take the next step in your career? If you stay with current employer even for more $$ that reason will still be there

I recently found a new job, had all the interviews and medicals and my boss got wind of it and offered to match what they offered but i declined

my advice would be take the new job, never be afraid of change
kody
Great advice! Thanks!
soljarag
I totally agree with mattyj, it seems like you are excited about the new company so I think you should take the new job

HOWEVER I would still give your current employer a chance to keep you. Don't go in there and just quit Smile You need to maintain the relationships you have
kody
How would you give them a chance to keep you? Would you have a predetermined raise amount that would keep you, or would you just be paying lip service and giving them a fake chance to keep you? In other words, would you be giving them a chance to keep you, but in reality there would be zero chance of you staying?