FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help! Need to make a site from scratch!

speeDemon
Ok, well by scratch I do not really mean scratch. I have already made many web pages which are linked together by hyperlinks, these .html files have also got flash content and Jpeg pictures which are also saved in the same folder.

I have made a Frihost account and got the name servers and all that. I also have bought a domain name with the extension .com. I also have Filezilla's latest version downloaded.

But after all this, the truth is that I know nothing about FTPs and I don't really have much knowledge about PHP, HTML, CGI etc. All I did was, that I made some pages in Dreamweaver 8 and now I want to upload my wiles to the WWW. What should I do?? I am an animator not Script writer! Surprised

I Don't really know how the whole system works, but my theory is that you buy a domain name which redirects people to a host, who, with the help of some kind of software gives the user the files they want to see, or lets say, it shows them the website. Is my theory correct? If not please tell me what is correct.

I also tried to connect through filezilla, I entered my ftp.mydomainname.frihost.net as the host, then I gave my password and user name. This is what its output is-

Status: Resolving IP-Address for ftp.mydomainname.frihost.net
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 2 of 50 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 09:04. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Response: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Command: USER username
Response: 331 User username OK. Password required
Command: PASS ********
Error: Could not connect to server

And then It does the whole thing again till about 3 times, then it says connection failed. Am I doing something wrong, or is their some error in the host? or filezilla?

Please help me! Sad
rvec
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:14 pm Post subject: Help! Need to make a site from scratch!
Ok, well by scratch I do not really mean scratch. I have already made many web pages which are linked together by hyperlinks, these .html files have also got flash content and Jpeg pictures which are also saved in the same folder.

Those files aren't needed in a forum. Better make a new folder and upload all the forum files in there.

Quote:
I Don't really know how the whole system works, but my theory is that you buy a domain name which redirects people to a host, who, with the help of some kind of software gives the user the files they want to see, or lets say, it shows them the website. Is my theory correct? If not please tell me what is correct.

you type in a domain name the pc sends a request to a dns server and gets the ip for the request. The your pc sends a http request to the ip. Apache on the server (at least on frihost) gets the request and finds the files it needs to send back. If these files are php files and php is installed it will "translate" the files to html first by letting them go through PHP (the installed program). Those HTML files are send back to your pc, and displayed in your browser.

Quote:
And then It does the whole thing again till about 3 times, then it says connection failed. Am I doing something wrong, or is their some error in the host? or filezilla?

I think you tried to connect on a wrong moment when something was down or something like that. Did you try this only once or also later (the server might be working again 10 min later).

The easiest way to get a forum up is to download and upload phpbb3.
A tutorial on how to isntall phpbb2 (old version) can be found here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-48865.html
A newer tutorial can probably be found on google, but most stuff is the same or easier than on phpBB2.
Bondings
There is a problem with some very recently created accounts, including yours. I'm currently recreating them. That might probably explain why you aren't able to access ftp (yet). It should be fixed soon, you'll get a pm with a new password.
speeDemon
Hey! thanks for replying rvec and bonding, but rvec I think you got me wrong somewhere.
I don't want to make a site on forums. I can't understand why you have written forums everywhere.. Do you mean something else by forums? Rolling Eyes

My definition for forums is, a site where people talk about things, reply back, add topics and stuff.
More importantly, is PHP mandatory? I don't really know anything about PHP. Can't I just use my normal HTML files?

And bonding, I really do wish that you fix the problem quickly, I appreciate your dedication, I really do wish that the problem is the same as you say, and that I can access my FTP pretty soon. I don't really know anything. Can you tell me a way by which I can make my home page.html file come up when someone types my domain name? And how do I link my .com domain name with my frihost hosting space???

Pls answer..! I am still confused, and all, now I am starting to think that all the effort I put into making the pages will go in vain. Confused

Thank you in advance
Bondings
speeDemon wrote:
Hey! thanks for replying rvec and bonding, but rvec I think you got me wrong somewhere.
I don't want to make a site on forums. I can't understand why you have written forums everywhere.. Do you mean something else by forums? Rolling Eyes

My definition for forums is, a site where people talk about things, reply back, add topics and stuff.
More importantly, is PHP mandatory? I don't really know anything about PHP. Can't I just use my normal HTML files?

And bonding, I really do wish that you fix the problem quickly, I appreciate your dedication, I really do wish that the problem is the same as you say, and that I can access my FTP pretty soon. I don't really know anything. Can you tell me a way by which I can make my home page.html file come up when someone types my domain name? And how do I link my .com domain name with my frihost hosting space???

Pls answer..! I am still confused, and all, now I am starting to think that all the effort I put into making the pages will go in vain. Confused

Thank you in advance

About the problem, it should be fixed now. Please check your pm and try it again with the new password. I hope it works now.

Of course you don't have to use php and you can normal html pages (or a combination).

Your files need to go somewhere in the public_html directory. The main file in a directory should be called index.php or (in your case) index.html.

For the domain, you need to point the nameservers (at your registrar) to the nameservers of the server you host it on. In your case that is "ns1.frihost.net" and "ns2.frihost.net". It needs a good while to propagate, at least 4 to 6 hours, up to a day.

On our side, the best way is to set it up as an addon domain. This will create a new directory in your public_html which will become the main directory of your website. You can also use <your subdomain>/<that_directory>/ to check it out if the domain isn't working yet.

I think cPanel also provides some nice tutorials about these and similar things.
rvec
oops Embarassed I misread that part. I thought you where talking about setting up a forum, But that must've been some other topic Confused .