FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone used a Sony Handycam with Vista?

DoctorBeaver
I can't get my Handycam to talk to my PC. For starters, I can't get the driver software to load.

I looked on the web and apparently the drivers are already in Vista but I have to use Firewire not USB. My Vista PC doesn't have a Firewire connector and I don't really want to have to buy 1.

Has anyone else come across this problem and is there a solution?
Donutey
Just buy a firewire card, they're pretty cheap, not to mention firewire 400 is faster than USB because the controller does most of the work, compared to USB 2.0 where most of the work is done by the CPU.

Just stay away from the cards with bad reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010073%201187112432&bop=And&Order=PRICE
DoctorBeaver
Thanks for the reply.

That's what I did in the end as, from what I can gather, Sony+Vista+USB is a no-no.
badai
usually all video camera need to use firewire because the video is transfer in real time, unless if the camera save the video as data, then you can use usb to copy the video.
Jaan
IT should work fine with USB, mine does, and i didn't have to install any drivers...