FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

p2p sharing globally

ocalhoun
I've been downloading a lot of torrent files recently (legaly of course ... *glances around*).
What impressed me was the sense of global community I got when I looked at all the peers and their countries of origin.
I was amazed to see people from all over the world all wanting to have and share the same files.
Some of the countries I see right now: Germany, Mexico, Columbia, Denmark, Croatia, Netherlands, UK, Romania, Poland, Norway, Switzerland, Argentina, Brazil, Italy, United Arab Emirates, Slovenia, Singapore, Sweden, Hungary, Malaysia, Greece, Canada, Australia, Tanzania, South Africa, and Japan.

Wow!

I just thought that was awesome, I keep thinking about what each of those other peers must be like and why they want to download that particular file.

Edit: I looked again, and now there is one from Israel and one from Serbia. This is great!
tidruG
I'm surprised there's no India on that list. Internet usage and accessibility has really grown here, so I would have expected India there. Anyway. I don't much use torrents, so I haven't really paid much attention to how many users I'm sharing the file with.

It could also possibly have something to do with what file you were downloading. If it's something that generally concerns people worldwide, then I wouldn't be surprised to see so many people from all other the world sharing that file.
missdixy
Yeah it's definitely gotten real big huh? Mad I remember a time when NO ONE in Mexico (or well, hardly any one) used torrents or knew what they were Mad oh my how times change
misterXY
I'm in Canada, and music downloading is allowed, even movies ONLY if you don't share it, BUT hehehe torrents l just don't share to other Canadians and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police can F**K off hehehe technicalities rule. Anyways when sites like Pirate Bay was shut down for like what, two three days? it's members sky rocketed and more people use it as well.

Remember before Kaza was the bad-ass kid on the block? Yes, closing it would close the downloading world... LMFAO!
DoctorBeaver
I think it's great that people from so many different countries can now communicate and share so easily.

I used to use a chatroom (now gone) and I regularly chatted with people from Australia, North and South America, the Far East and all across Europe. At one time we even had an Israeli and an Iraqi chatting together.

If used properly (and I stress PROPERLY), the web can be a marvelous way of learning about different peoples, different countries, and different cultures. It can bring people together in ways unimagineable even just a few years ago.

Use the web to learn about others and try to understand them rather than pointing guns at their heads because they're different.
ocalhoun
tidruG wrote:

It could also possibly have something to do with what file you were downloading. If it's something that generally concerns people worldwide, then I wouldn't be surprised to see so many people from all other the world sharing that file.

A wide variety of different files. Some software, some movies, some classical music. So no particular file should skew it off, though I notice that some of them get more international attention than others.

No India? Well, not right now at least, but I have seen it there on other occasions. I would never have guessed it, but the most common country there besides the US would actually be Brazil. Any insight as to why Brazilians seem to be the second best connected people around (at least as far as torrents go)?
coolclay
Thats pretty cool. I never knew you could see where peers are located when downloading torrent files. How do you do it? I use utorrent usually. Yea it is very amazing how many computers are hooked up to the internet it's really mind blowing. It would be fun to see what would happen if the whole internet went down. If terrorists really wanted to do some damage they would work on that. But I'd imagine most terrorists aren't that intelligent so I don't see that happening any time soon.
ocalhoun
^Bittorrent includes a feature that resolves the IP's of peers to their domain names, from which you can find out their country, which it will do automatically and display a little flag next to each one. For perhaps 3 out of 10 peers, it cannot resolve the domain, so you only have an IP.
misterXY
ocalhoun wrote:
^Bittorrent includes a feature that resolves the IP's of peers to their domain names, from which you can find out their country, which it will do automatically and display a little flag next to each one. For perhaps 3 out of 10 peers, it cannot resolve the domain, so you only have an IP.

then theres the homework to get an idea where there provider is at. Rogers in Canada refuses too allow companies to dig there hands into the customers downloading habits lol i'm stuck with Aliant which is owned by Bell.... bell sucks...
Supposed to be receiving 5mbps, but only getting average 3.1mbps!
****** you bell
ocalhoun
misterXY wrote:

Supposed to be receiving 5mbps, but only getting average 3.1mbps!
****** you bell

If it makes you feel any better, my connection ranges from 5kbps to 30kbps, and it is absolutely impossible for me to get anything faster anytime in the next 7 months or so. (that's k, not m!)