FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ORKUT Getting better...

indianinworld
When Orkut started, it was an OK "Community". But now it has grown a lot. Lot of features added to Google's Orkut.

Now i see that, right from User Interface design to external third party applications integrated with Google's Orkut, ORKUT is getting better and better.

One thing that has always been criticised about Google's Orkut was the insecurity between people's who are members. But now, the security feature has greatly been developed and incorporated such that the privacy of the logged in user is greately protected and the exchange of sensitive messages / images / information has been blocked to unnecessary SPAM'mers and other users whom one doesn't wish to share information can be blocked.

ALL THE MORE, Google is growing as a single brand largest entity !!!!!

GOOGLE - Biggest Internet Brand in the universe today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEEP SMILING !!! - KEEP LIVING !!!!!!!!!!

tidruG
To be honest, I don't look upon the option of adding third-party applications as a step in the right direction. Look what it's done to facebook. Pretty soon, there will be a few thousand gadgets and applications available whoring themselves out to your friends through your decision. I certainly don't look forward to it. A social networking site should limit itself to being a tool of communication between friends, not a place to spend time creating vampires, werewolves or throwing online water balloons at each other... but that's just my opinion anyway.
indianinworld
tidruG wrote:
To be honest, I don't look upon the option of adding third-party applications as a step in the right direction. Look what it's done to facebook. Pretty soon, there will be a few thousand gadgets and applications available whoring themselves out to your friends through your decision. I certainly don't look forward to it. A social networking site should limit itself to being a tool of communication between friends, not a place to spend time creating vampires, werewolves or throwing online water balloons at each other... but that's just my opinion anyway.

You are right !!!!

These things are just add-ons. Those who wish can add it. Else go on with what it has by default package. These are additional attracations - fancy stuffs to gain peoples attraction. As a matter of fact, most of the people fall for fancy stuffssssssss

Keep Smiling --- Keep Living !!!!

saratdear
I frankly don't mind adding those external applications, or "apps" as they call it. And the new themes look nice. But isn't Orkut kind of coping all this from other sites? The themes idea from Myspace, the apps idea from Facebook...have they really came up with something original?
tidruG
Is there anything original that ANYONE can come up with for social networking websites?
Like I said, I've briefly outlined their purpose in my previous post, they don't have much else to do, do they?
Magicman
tidruG wrote:
Is there anything original that ANYONE can come up with for social networking websites?
Like I said, I've briefly outlined their purpose in my previous post, they don't have much else to do, do they?

This is true, social networking sites only have one true purpose. There is also a limit to what features a site can add which is why many sites basically copy one another. However, having third party apps isn't too much of a bad thing although there are a lot of stupid ones.
justtj
tidruG wrote:

people have actually come up with more than a thousand social networking site...
the original one was friendster, myspace and facebook
Smile

orkut is just a newbie in the market...

and ya, there are a million more..
hi5, ibibo, zapak, zorpia etc... etc... etc...
tidruG
Quote:
orkut is just a newbie in the market...
Wikipedia says it was launched Jan 2004, a month before facebook. It just became a lot more popular recently after Google acquired it. Personally, I prefer orkut because it's comparatively much less cluttered than facebook with its millions of applications. Everyday I get invitations to add apps that I will never use and that most people have used just once (and sent invitations) and will never use again. I'm yet to come across a really good facebook app that I think is VERY highly useful.

As for orkut, I haven't added a single application yet, and I don't intend to.
hunnyhiteshseth
As other have already said, orkut is getting worse wth it.

I mean the basic reason I had chosen orkut was its simplicity... but that has been lost now. Mad
Srs2388
your right... myspace has that now it was much better before the applications.
the server load is increased.. so it has more down time.
I get so many comments from the applications.
It's crazy. I got 30 comments in a couple days ALL application invitations.
Indyan
Yeah. orkut is trying hard to catch up with the likes of Facebook.

I have added a few applications. Some of them are fun like the typeracer one.
Too many applications can create a nuisiance. That's why in the new design facebook will move all applications to a separate page (wont be in the profile page).
thadnation
personally, i like orkut. it has a nice, clean interface and adequately sized community.