FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bass strings

Ankhanu
Hey bass (guitar) players. I'm tossing out the ol' question of what strings you play on your bass, and why do you choose them?

I have three basses, and use different strings on each of them, so I'll mention each in turn.
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass - DR Black Beauties .045-.105 gauge. These are a coated string, black coat over steel. I was kinda surprised by these strings, as the tone was quite responsive, despite being coated; lots of snap with bright trebles and round low end and mids are just about right. The coating makes them pretty durable; I've been playing the same set for about 2 years now.

Yamaha BBN5 (5-string) - Fender Medium 5s. Basic stainless steel string. I haven't tested too many brands of strings for the 5, but the Fenders are relatively cheap (~$45) for a 5 pack, but offer fairly solid tone with a long life. The B is relatively tight and responsive, avoiding bland floppy notes.

Fretless (cobbled together from spare parts) - d'Addario Chromes flatwound (med. gauge). Nice and mellow with round lows and good mid expression. They're nice and smooth under the fingers. I haven't tried any other flatwounds yet, so I can't say if they're a preference or not.
Ankhanu
A string I've been wanting to test on my fretless is Rotosound 88 Tru Bass black nylon strings. I've heard good things about them and that they produce a "woodier" tone than most strings, closer to a double bass. Anyone have experience with them?