FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Dresden Files

zanzou
I started reading this series last summer, and not a lot of people seemed to be into it-- but over the course of the last year, I've noticed a HUGE increase in readers, and general interest.

I have no idea why, unless it's delayed popularity from the TV show or just plain old word of mouth.

:) Have any of you guys read the series? What are your thoughts?

(Try to keep it spoiler free.)
sondosia
I've read all of them except the most recent one, which I'm trying to save for a while so I don't have to wait too long afterwards for the next one to come out. =)

I really like them, particularly Butcher's writing style, though I've heard it criticized in reviews and such. The only thing I don't like is how characters really seem to come and go - entire books will go by without mention of a character who figured prominently in one of the previous books. And then, three books later, he/she will suddenly become a main character again. It just throws me off sometimes, and I'll spend entire books wondering where such and such character went.

Otherwise, though...I really love the series.
zanzou
sondosia wrote:
I've read all of them except the most recent one, which I'm trying to save for a while so I don't have to wait too long afterwards for the next one to come out. =)

I really like them, particularly Butcher's writing style, though I've heard it criticized in reviews and such. The only thing I don't like is how characters really seem to come and go - entire books will go by without mention of a character who figured prominently in one of the previous books. And then, three books later, he/she will suddenly become a main character again. It just throws me off sometimes, and I'll spend entire books wondering where such and such character went.

Otherwise, though...I really love the series.

I actually kind of like that-- Harry's the main character, and I like just seeing the people he sees in his life, and it's very realistic that people sort of come and go in your life like that, very present sometimes, very absent others.

I'm only about half way through the series so far, so maybe my opinion will change, but it hasn't bothered me so far.
zanzou
Sooo, I just finished the entire series. ^^;; I kind of tore through the books I had left to read.

(Spoilery comments start here...)

(space space)

(and then some more space)

I really, really enjoyed them all. Still loving the characters, the plot, everything. Bob is very cool, and a war T-Rex will be awesome from this day until eternity.

I found the idea of soulfire to be almost unbelievably interesting/cool. :) I'm not sure what he's going to do with it, but I am looking forward to it. I love the relationship dynamics between Harry and.. well, lots of people. Thomas, Murphy, Ramirez, Ebenezer McCoy, Mab... it really just makes me squirm with joy. :D

Random thought on Mab and Greymalkin... I was wondering if it could have been some sort of payment? She made a deal with someone to lose heir voice, but she could get around it by having one of her servants speak for her... :) I'm just really curious about what's been going around in the Faerie courts, I can't wait until we actually know. XD It's been a few books now already that we've been wondering, after all.

(no more spoilers)

(blah blah no more)

(space)

I wish I knew more people personally who had read this series-- I only know one person, even though I know it's quite popular.
missdixy
In December of 2006 and ex boyfriend of mine gave me the first book of this series. I tried to read it but honestly just couldn't get that into it. Maybe it's because he gave it to me and he really annoys me and I didn't think anything he could recommend could actually be good haha. The book is still in my bookcase. I did not know they made a show after it. Maybe I will give it another shot since people are saying suc good things about it on here!
zanzou
missdixy wrote:
In December of 2006 and ex boyfriend of mine gave me the first book of this series. I tried to read it but honestly just couldn't get that into it. Maybe it's because he gave it to me and he really annoys me and I didn't think anything he could recommend could actually be good haha. The book is still in my bookcase. I did not know they made a show after it. Maybe I will give it another shot since people are saying suc good things about it on here!

They did make a show, but by all sources I've heard from, it was terrible and deserved to be cancelled.

:D I'm glad you're giving it another shot!
Hogwarts
Easily one of my favorite series; Jim Butcher is a fantastic author Smile

Dixy, I strongly recommend you read the novels. The first one isn't as acclaimed as the rest of the series, but it sets a firm foundation for what is to come Smile

zanzou, the series isn't even half finished yet. So get reading! It's become really interesting at this point Smile