FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the best to run Windows live from CD or USB?

dickyzin
I would like to know what's the best way to run Microsoft Windows (doesn't matter what version yet) from a CD or a USB stick. I know with the Linux operating system there are distributions like Puppy Linux and Pen Drive Linux which are quite good. How can I achieve this with Windows? Is there a Windows distribution like Pen Drive Windows?
andy26
I am no expert on this but i think you would have to perform a windows instillation on your pen drive. there may be cracked versions that you can put on to a CD or pendrive but the only thing i can think of is installing it through the main setup onto your pen drive if it possible.
dickyzin
Thanks for your reply. I have actually seen an installation image with a cut down version of Windows XP. But I don't know how it is made or what it is called or where I can find it.
andy26
I'd say to look for it on a torrent search site. aslong as you use your own Serial Key i dont see a problem with downloading a windows disk.
csoftdev
windows is very resources hungry and running it from CD or USB stick is something that is not very reliable to me. Are you sure that is really what you want? I have tried many distros of linux live version to boot from either cd or usb and i still don't quite satisfy with them, so I doubted that I will ever try any live windows if there is any out there.
singh.gurjeet
You may be able o run Windows off of a USB, but not off a CD! The live-cd versions of Linux are specially crafed for that purpose, to not touch the hard-drive; neither read nor write (unless you really want it to)!.

I have not come across a Windows version that lets you do that. If you do find a way to run Windows from just a CD, please let me know, I'd like to use it and spread the info too.

Best regards
hunnyhiteshseth
You can easily run windows xp from a cd or usb drive. Just search for PEBuilder. No use of me copying pasting from its site. Laughing
dickyzin
This PEBuilder sounds quite good. I haven't tested it but it seems to say that it can run Windows from CD and DVD and even maybe USB Hard Drives. I'll try this out.
hunnyhiteshseth
Yeah its quite good. Already it supports most of the frequently used applications in 'live' form, still if you want you can also customize a non-supported application to run on it. You have to ,basically, write all usual registry entries manually and you can easily make any application 'live'
singh.gurjeet
<quote="hunnyhiteshseth">Yeah its quite good. Already it supports most of the frequently used applications in 'live' form, still if you want you can also customize a non-supported application to run on it. You have to ,basically, write all usual registry entries manually and you can easily make any application 'live'</quote>

Hmm... really interesting... Will have to give it a shot. I have an empty 48GB Lacie USB drive lying around, would be great to have Live Windows on that!
Agent ME
Why exactly would someone want to run Windows live from a disk anyway? Most computers already have it installed. I guess maybe for fixing machines / debugging, etc, but linux is much better suited to that and running live on disks.
hunnyhiteshseth
Agent ME wrote:
Why exactly would someone want to run Windows live from a disk anyway? Most computers already have it installed. I guess maybe for fixing machines / debugging, etc, but linux is much better suited to that and running live on disks.

First of all not all computers have windows installed, its just manufacturers who install windows and not give option for linux.

Secondly, if your main OS is linux and you sometimes need windows then instead of wasting one whole partition for it you can just burn a cd.

Its just like live CDs of ubuntu, or knoppix, or other linux flavors.
Studio Madcrow
None. No "Live CD" of Windows I've heard of has decent performance and none in existence is legal. Live CDs are a creation of the Linux world, where liberal licensing has made them possible. Attempt to do them on Windows are pretty much guarenteed to be not only illegal, but not to work very well either.
hunnyhiteshseth
Studio Madcrow wrote:
None. No "Live CD" of Windows I've heard of has decent performance and none in existence is legal. Live CDs are a creation of the Linux world, where liberal licensing has made them possible. Attempt to do them on Windows are pretty much guarenteed to be not only illegal, but not to work very well either.

Well technically, it is not always illegal. for example, if you run your live CD on your computer only, then its not illegal. Moreover, performance is not an issue if you are going to run windows occasionally only.
dickyzin
Windows does not allow Vista installations onto USB Hard Drives or flash drives. So I don't think it'll be suitable to run Vista on USB hard drives anyways since it requires 15GB of free Hard Disk space. Vista has also got a high system requirement compared to other operating systems.

I've tried the Linux distribution of Ubuntu on an external hard drive and also on a USB Flash Drive and it worked fine. It worked much better on the External USB Hard Drive. You can use it on different machines with ease.
hunnyhiteshseth
dickyzin wrote:
Windows does not allow Vista installations onto USB Hard Drives or flash drives. So I don't think it'll be suitable to run Vista on USB hard drives anyways since it requires 15GB of free Hard Disk space. Vista has also got a high system requirement compared to other operating systems.

I've tried the Linux distribution of Ubuntu on an external hard drive and also on a USB Flash Drive and it worked fine. It worked much better on the External USB Hard Drive. You can use it on different machines with ease.

Well I do not know about Vista but on Windows XP it surely works great!!
positive_vibes
As stated by other members PEBuilder is the way to go. You will need your own Windows installation CD to preform this task, you can make a preinstalled environment running XP boot from CD or USB pen drive. I followed this tutorial to make mine. There are many reasons one would want to do this, I made mine for computer repair and diagnostics. With an OS that can boot from CD or USB you can load it up with anti virus, anti spyware, diagnostics utils, drivers, formatting tools and just about anything else you would need to recover and repair. Not to mention it cuts out the annoyance of DOS tools as stated on Bart's page. Why spend hundreds at computer repair shops when you can become your own tech? I also liked to mess with the professors of my computer classes in CC, by running my pen XP with custom themes and programs. It wasn't easy to convince them that I wasn't messing with the school's computers, so I wouldn't recommend doing this.

As for the legalities, this does count as a Windows installation which requires an unused product key in order to be in compliance with the EULA. If you don't want to run Windows using this method, but like the idea of using this for repair utilities, I recommend creating a BartPE installation which doesn't require a Windows product key to be legal. It is built with the same method and will run off CD or USB, but doesn't have all the greatness of an operating system.
Nireck
You can download a 24 mb installation of Xp to a pen drive
just the only thing you have to do is as follows

1.- Unpack
2.- Execue petoUSB
3.- Insert the usb
4.- leave everything as default on petho ub
5.- select source path to BarthPe/pe and select the folder that was unzipped

Complete the isntallation!

enjoy

http://rapidshare.com/files/127749763/PORTXPUSBSMALL.rar
zellfaze
You could also use the Hiren Boot CD. That has a Live copy of Windows 98, for system recovery purposes.
hunnyhiteshseth
zellfaze wrote:
You could also use the Hiren Boot CD. That has a Live copy of Windows 98, for system recovery purposes.

But i guess he needs to make live cd of vista
dude_xyx
USB would be better than a CD. Specailly if you have a 4-8 GB usb.