FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox announcement !

FriBogdan
Firefox 3 wants to set the world record of the most downloaded software in it's first 24 hours!

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/ (You can register here to be reminded)

Sounds like a good deal, right? All you have to do is get Firefox 3 during Download Day to help set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours - it’s that easy. We're not asking you to swallow a sword or to balance 30 spoons on your face, although that would be kind of awesome.

dickyzin
Approximately when will Firefox 3 be released? In a few weeks or months? I can't wait to download it!
FriBogdan
I think Firefox RC already exists. I'm using it right now and many things are fixed and the usability was improved. But... it doesn't matter if you want it to download Firefox 3... just don't forget to download FIREFOX 3 AGAIN in that particular day

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-rc.html
Arseniy
And I will not download Firefox because I like Opera more and my computer can't suppor Firefox.
But that idea is really cool Smile I don't think that many Opera users would download it.
legion
Yeah, interesting idea to promote their software. And with so many users I'm sure they'll have the biggest number of downloads ever Cool

Ok, except if GTA 4 will be available for free download Laughing
FriBogdan
legion wrote:
Yeah, interesting idea to promote their software. And with so many users I'm sure they'll have the biggest number of downloads ever Cool

Ok, except if GTA 4 will be available for free download Laughing

Every user make use of the internet, but how many are playing games Smile) ? So... GTA 4 FREE will never reach the number of downloads that Firefox will.

Anyway... hm... probably it was not needed to announce a particular day for download. Look at the statistics... the number of people that upgraded to Firefox 2 in a short time is outstanding.
dude_xyx
I had lot of problems with Firefox 2 like bookmarking crashing , Memory problems But still I preferred Firefox to IE. FireFox 3 seems better than 2 in many ways only problem i have now is Plugins.
erlendhg
dude_xyx wrote:
I had lot of problems with Firefox 2 like bookmarking crashing , Memory problems But still I preferred Firefox to IE. FireFox 3 seems better than 2 in many ways only problem i have now is Plugins.

Yes, I prefer Firefox too. Not only because I think it works better, but also because Internet Explorer is full of HTML parsing bugs and bad behaviour. That makes it really frustrating to develop css html coding that looks the same way in all browsers.
vineeth
I am using Firefox 3.0 RC1. Even this is great... I am waiting for full version of Firefox 3.
legion
FriBogdan wrote:
Every user make use of the internet, but how many are playing games Smile) ? So... GTA 4 FREE will never reach the number of downloads that Firefox will.

I am dreaming Laughing
misterXY
l just creamed my pants, this is exciting!
misterXY
Its happening Thursday, June 17th!
Arseniy
There is already a topic about announcement: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-93985.html.
And I'll not download Firefox because of its connection speed, as I've said already.
Opera rules! Razz
silverdown
Thanks , I am a Firefox user I wanted to download the beta but didn't want to be caught up in all the problems. I am glad there is a set date for an main release Smile
Josso
I really hope Mozilla has their bandwidth capabilities properly sorted Laughing
mattyj
Im in....been using Firefox 2 for a while now and really prefer it over Opera and IE and Netscape.... Smile
misterXY
Update:
Theres a 3.1 coming out too
http://lifehacker.com/396154/firefox-31-new-features-already-in-the-works
mehulved
What's the point in overloading their server? I am better thinking of waiting till it hits portage.
dude_xyx
So tomorrow is the big day ? or day after tomorrow ? I wonder this would overload their servers and at end many wouldn't able to download it or it would be slow.
mOrpheuS
Josso wrote:
I really hope Mozilla has their bandwidth capabilities properly sorted Laughing
dude_xyx wrote:
I wonder this would overload their servers and at end many wouldn't able to download it or it would be slow.

They don't really have to host the downloads on their own servers/network.
They would probably use a CDN for handling that kind of traffic.

p.s. - A "Download Day" ? Just when you thought you'd seen it all ... Neutral

Quote:
Firefox 3 wants to set the world record of the most downloaded software in it's first 24 hours
In my honest opinion, a misplaced effort.
kerryworkman
It's just another gimick, like sooo many others just trying to drum up interest in their product. I do like firefox and other mozilla products but having a download day is lame. Sad
silverdown
I just installed Firefox 3 however just a tip , it not compatible with a lot of things right yet. Most of my addons are disabled.
FriBogdan
Officially now is download day. So... let's make history Razz.

"Today you'll make history with Firefox

Are you ready to make history? Are you ready to set a World Record? Today is Download Day. To become part of the official Guinness World Record you must download Firefox 3 by 17:00 UTC on June 18, 2008, or roughly 24 hours from now."
r4inm4ker
just downloaded it.. It feels smoother than before, the lag when switching between tabs has been disappeared, but sadly, some add-ons i use haven't been available, yet.
dude_xyx
How its going ? I guess the 24 hours are still not over. So i wonder how many have downloaded firefox 3 by now ? I just hope plugining will be compatible with Firefox 3 soon.
tdfranc
FriBogdan wrote:
Firefox 3 wants to set the world record of the most downloaded software in it's first 24 hours!

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/ (You can register here to be reminded)

Sounds like a good deal, right? All you have to do is get Firefox 3 during Download Day to help set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours - it’s that easy. We're not asking you to swallow a sword or to balance 30 spoons on your face, although that would be kind of awesome.

I already downloaded it,
and it is great!
It uses so much less memory, is a little bit faster, and is safer!!

It's PERFECT
Zuex
I'm using it now to post this comment lol, it owns, buttons suit vista, but not XP, dah well! Firefox 3 owns IE-7/8/9/10

Cool
gh0stface
I've downloaded it and noticed a much improved speed in rendering pages. The new address bar area is a welcome site.

The only thing I really really dislike is the "awesome bar" thing. Does anyone know how to disable it?
Fatality
I've used the beta for awhile and just downloaded the official release. I've been a big fan of FireFox for years. Great program.
marsupilami
Fatality wrote:
I've used the beta for awhile and just downloaded the official release. I've been a big fan of FireFox for years. Great program.

I agree with you, Firefox 3 works more releable, and stable, with such a great improvements (as I know more than 15000 modifications). Among of these modifications are : automatic warnings when users stray onto webpages booby-trapped with malicious code, "Smart Location Bar" that lets people return to places they have visited even if they have not bookmarked them or cannot remember the full web address.

WEB BROWSER STATS is :

Internet Explorer - 83.27%
Firefox - 13.76%
Apple Safari - 2.18%
Opera - 0.55%
Netscape - 0.14%
Source: OneStat

We can see that The Mozilla Firefox browser, which is increasingly being seen as the main competitor to Microsoft's Internet Explorer.
legion
gh0stface wrote:
I've downloaded it and noticed a much improved speed in rendering pages. The new address bar area is a welcome site.

The only thing I really really dislike is the "awesome bar" thing. Does anyone know how to disable it?

You can check this video from CNET. I didn't try to remove that bar, but it should work Smile

http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-50002641.html
dickyzin
I've downloaded Firefox 3 yesterday and it's great. I've noticed a lot of improvement in speed and performance. The look and feel is much better. However, some add-ins are still not compatible with this version. My favourite improvement is the speed and performance. It beats any other browsers out there although I have yet to experiment Internet Explorer 8.
loyal
I agree dickyzin. Firefox 3 seems to have improved alot from firefox 2.

Although, i must say i don't like the new bookmarking window. You can't move it, it's slow, and a bit weird. But i like the idea of tagging your bookmarks, and being able to search through them from the address bar.

Peace.
lethaltriad
8 million downloads already! world record lol. Definately my browser of choice, only use internet explorer sometimes if i need to have 2 different gmail accounts open at the same time
erlendhg
Amazing.
When I did install Ubuntu Hardy Heron, Firfox 3 Beta was a part of it, so I have sort of tried it already. It was really fantastic.
Now I am just sitting here installing the newly released full version. I am really looking forward to try it and use it.
ccube921
Firefox is a Web Developers dream it runs totally W3 standard while IE is really lenient and ends up screwing up your program I despise IE and love Firefox, they are great and fast with tons of easy add ons and who knows what, Im officially an adoloescent Frihoster YAY!!
bigt
Sorry, haven't downloaded it yet, but I will. I have always liked Firefox. 1. It's NOT IE. 2. It's NOT IE. and 3. It has a lot of user modifiable things that can be changed to personalize the browsing experience; add-ons, themes, etc. I've never really been a first adopter though. Has anybody heard about the bug in FF3 found in the last day or two?
bulek
I'm very satisfied of new version as well. There are many improvements at speed, reliability and memory usage. Really great work!
dickyzin
I'm using Firefox 3 on Vista now and it's awesome. I've also noticed that IE 7 works better on Vista than on XP for me. Maybe my XP was getting fat and slow.