FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

JustShout!

helraizer
Hey all,

I've been working on this project for a while now, it was originally called 'MyChat' or 'MyChatbox' but it was more along the lines of a shoutbox, than a chatbox so it has been named 'JustShout!'.

The entire concept of it is an image based shoutbox. Usual/traditional shoutboxes are hosted on the user's website and can only be viewed on that one page on that one site, this is 'portable' in a sense; you can link to it in any site/forum.

This isn't the first image-based shoutbox, HOWEVER, it is the first image-based shoutbox with emoticons (that I know of) Very Happy

For instance, these following images are hosted on my site but can be viewed here.

- full sized - a working example can be found on my myspace page here

-or-

- JustShout! mini

At the moment the following things have been implimented:

~Pagination - users can now view older and newer messages in each shoutbox
~Filter search function - users can view posts from a specific user.
~Emoticons are now working in the chatbox.
~Anti-flood system introduced; users can only post two comments consecutively until someone else posts after them, or until 1 hour passes
~Logged in users can now delete unwanted posts from (clean) their own shoutbox
~People who post in a shoutbox can now edit and/or delete their posts up to 72 hours after posting.
~New shoutbox background introduced, making fonts easier to read.
~The poster has a choice from 6 colours and 6 fonts

Coming soon:
~User CP:
-users will be able to make their shoutbox different dimensions.
-users will be able to make a personalised censor list to filter posts with words they may find offensive.

So, what do you guys (and gals) think?

Can you think of any other cool tools and 'things' I could impliment to make it better/more accessible/'cooler'? Would it be worth the effort to try and animate the gif emoticons within the shoutbox?

Want your own JustShout! shoutbox? Click here Very Happy

Sam
Arseniy
WOOOOW
That's really cool!!!
I'm using that one in my sig now, as you can see Smile
I love that thing!!!
EDIT: Oops, you should really fix that image links, because nothing seems to work now... Confused
helraizer
Arseniy wrote:
WOOOOW
That's really cool!!!
I'm using that one in my sig now, as you can see Smile
I love that thing!!!
EDIT: Oops, you should really fix that image links, because nothing seems to work now... Confused

Cool Very Happy

Ooh, how do you mean about the image links? I don't think you're allowed [img] signatures on this forum. Maybe renders it slightly pointless. xD

The BBCode in the 'installation guide' works perfectly. I think it's just this forums. Sad

In the forum itself:

Comment me!
Arseniy
Oh, I've fixed it already. I needed to write capital letter 'A' instead of small one Smile
So thank you for that thing, really nice! Great job!
helraizer
Cool Smile Very Happy Glad it works!! Very Happy

I shall now implement smilies on the Just Shout! mini.

phpBB won't mind me using their emoticons Razz

EDIT: done Very Happy

Do you reckon it'd be worth it to animate the gif emoticons within the shoutbox?
Arseniy
No, you shouldn't, because of very large size of gif in such way. For example, limit in sigs here, in Frihost, 50 kilobytes. And I don't think, that that shoutbox will have smaller size.
So just leave it as it is Smile
helraizer
Arseniy wrote:
No, you shouldn't, because of very large size of gif in such way. For example, limit in sigs here, in Frihost, 50 kilobytes. And I don't think, that that shoutbox will have smaller size.
So just leave it as it is Smile

I don't think the size'll be a problem. At the moment both of ours are ~8.9kb. Giving leeway for another 40kb Razz

If you think I should leave, I shall.
ttdrox
Cool. Except, When I clicked on the link it multiplied and wouldn't stop so I had to shut my computer off manually. Other then that pretty cool site and like the name, Just Shout! Very Happy Gets me every time! Laughing
helraizer
ttdrox wrote:
Cool. Except, When I clicked on the link it multiplied and wouldn't stop so I had to shut my computer off manually. Other then that pretty cool site and like the name, Just Shout! Very Happy Gets me every time! Laughing

How do you mean about multiplying? Could you tell me which link?

Just introduced another background to choose from on registration.

The original black background and now a white background. The black one features the font colours: White, Aqua, Yellow, Orange and Green; the white one features: Black, Purple, Blue, Dark Green and Deep red.

What do you think to the new background choice?

When I have made the user CP I will allow users to upload their own backgrounds to the shoutbox. Very Happy
ttdrox
^
Quote:
working example can be found on my myspace page here

When I clicked on "here" to view your myspace page it multiplied and wouldn't stop. Thanks.
helraizer
ttdrox wrote:
^
Quote:
working example can be found on my myspace page here

When I clicked on "here" to view your myspace page it multiplied and wouldn't stop. Thanks.

That's very odd. Though I don't believe it's a bug on here. It didn't do it for me so I think it have just been a one off on your machine. Ah well thanks for letting me know.

Just out of interest, which background do you prefer? Black or white? Smile

Out of people I've asked it's white : black - 6 : 1 respectively.
helraizer
This one is something I've uploaded from the UserCP.

What do you think to that sort of idea?

Sam
helraizer
The user control panel for the full size JustShout! is up and running.

An example of some standard and custom backgrounds:

As you can see, you can also change the size of your chatbox. Anything between 50x60 (if you really wanted anything quite so small), to 999x999. The image you upload will be converted to a png file and then set to 20% transparency for the background; that way the light colours will always show up.

What do you think?
helraizer

JustAsk! - Question box. You can ask a question at the top of the image and have your friends answer it. Could be "Are you coming to my birthday party" or "Do you like cheese" - basically, it could be anything.

JustSay! - Discussion box. You can post a topic, just like on a forum, and have people discuss said topic.

Users can also name their shoutboxes.

What do you guys think to that idea? At the moment you can only have one custom background per user; you can have up to 6 shoutboxes, so you can have 1 black shoutbox, 1 white shoutbox and 4 custom shoutboxes (or any number of each, up to 6 in total) but all the custom ones will have the same background. For now.

Sam