FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

linux on usb with J2EE

ThePolemistis
hi,

i need a linux OS that fits onto a USB (512mb hoepfully, but I have aslo a 2gig one). It needs to be able to run directly off USB and changes need to be onto USB.

I have tried dsl (damn small linux) but had difficulty installing the jdk on it.

I need an OS that I can install the Java EE 5 sdk (jdk+ glassfish server and stuff)

Does anyone know of an OS i can do this, or can anyone guide me on how to install it on a dsl?
sheedatali
You have loads of choices, Slax is probably the easiest one, you also have Puppy linux, or Damnsmallinux. They all support modules to be loaded while being in memory, Slax allows you to create a drive as a file which is mounted each time it runs, that way any changes you make to live OS, get save in that file, and reloaded at start. I believe puppy linux and DSL both have same capability but probably require bit more understanding of OS.
ThePolemistis
sheedatali wrote:
You have loads of choices, Slax is probably the easiest one, you also have Puppy linux, or Damnsmallinux. They all support modules to be loaded while being in memory, Slax allows you to create a drive as a file which is mounted each time it runs, that way any changes you make to live OS, get save in that file, and reloaded at start. I believe puppy linux and DSL both have same capability but probably require bit more understanding of OS.

Slax is amazingg... thanks Smile
nitepr
sheedatali wrote:

thanks ive been trying to get that on my flashdrive
nitepr
you can use mojo pac its windows xp on your flashdrive you dont have to restart your pc to run either and you can switch between it and host its sweet http://www.mojopac.com/
sheedatali
nitepr wrote:
you can use mojo pac its windows xp on your flashdrive you dont have to restart your pc to run either and you can switch between it and host its sweet http://www.mojopac.com/

OP specifically asked for Linux.[/b]
tdfranc
ThePolemistis wrote:
hi,

i need a linux OS that fits onto a USB (512mb hoepfully, but I have aslo a 2gig one). It needs to be able to run directly off USB and changes need to be onto USB.

I have tried dsl (damn small linux) but had difficulty installing the jdk on it.

I need an OS that I can install the Java EE 5 sdk (jdk+ glassfish server and stuff)

Does anyone know of an OS i can do this, or can anyone guide me on how to install it on a dsl?

Or you coul'd try Linux From Scratch,
you can make it as small as you want and have exactly all the things you need (not more or less, like in the most distros)

see: www.linuxfromscratch.org