FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem connecting to Frihost hosting

criminalcrap
Hello,

If i try to connect to my Fri hosting i get timed out..?
http://www.fullmetaljacket.frihost.net/
this is my hosting
but when i try to connect it with a proxy i CAN connect to it..
i had my hosting accepted Thursday and i could connect it then
but since friday night i cant connect anymore...
anyone know this problem?
and knows how to fix it?
IceCreamTruck
Try without the "www" this might help.

you can connect directly to http://fullmetaljacket.frihost.net/ and you should. Alot of people are still confused by the inclusion of "www" in web addresses.

"www" is just a subdomain. So is "fullmetaljacket." Using another level of subdomains like "www" or "net" or "love" suggests your website needs "sub" categories, but I'm guessing since you are new that you are missunderstanding how and why to use "www"

Sometimes large companies set up a new websites for the company with some new technology at "ww2" subdomain of their real domain like ww2.microsoft.com

This would allow them to keep both sites completely seporate because the DNS record for "ww2" could be pointed at a completely different server than "microsoft.com" or "www.microsoft.com" points at, but they do this because they need the seporate systems because they are not compitable with eachother.

I know you are wasting time with that call because you probably don't have "www" set up on the server. I'm not totally sure how it all works out in the real world, but the first thing that is processed is the domain, and your computer asks the DNS server in the sky where to find that, and it gets the FRIHOST name servers as the result, and it goes there. Then it asks the frihost name servers where to find "www"@fullmetaljacket, and the name servers say "error: can't find it" after a time out, and it sends you to fullmetaljacket.frihost.net instead.

Never complicate things more than you need to, cause you need to simplify in order to find bugs, or troubleshoot errors.

I'm not sure if the process works exactly as I described, but I know you SHOULD NOT use www unless you need.

Frihost bug: try to go to http://frihost.com/forums and you get an error. Goto http://www.frihost.com/forums and you don't get an error, and this is because they are missing a dns record or www was manually written in where it shouldn't be.

My frihosted websites don't have this issue: Goto http://AstroTwister.com/forum and it loads

Goto: http://www.AstroTwister.com/forum and it loads as well

I figure frihost is actually loosing a very small amount of traffic to this bug. I have told bondings about it. The biggest problem I see is that they continue to type "www." over and over when it's extra typing that is not nessesary. Compound this problem over 1000 pages, 500,000 users, and 3 years and you get a hell of a lot of "w"s typed that didn't need to be typed at all.
criminalcrap
Hmmm

i've tryed that but still i cant connect...
it keeps loading and loading and loading and says it cant find it..
with www and without www
the weird this is still that i CAN connect with proxy site to my hosting BUT i CANT connect direct...
IceCreamTruck
OK, next step...

Have you checked your browser settings to make sure that you aren't using a proxy there? Sometimes this will be setup by your ISP and they will be connecting you through some weird DNS server.

Here are a couple work arounds.

1st. Try to go to tools > internet options > connections (tab) and then click on "Lan Settings." Make sure these fields are blank, and then try it. If you have information here like some strange IP address, then your computer is using a proxy from your ISP and you need to write down this info and try to clear all the fields and then connect. If you really can't connect at that point, then re-enter your ISP proxy info.

2nd. Right click "My Network Places" and go to properties. Right click "local network" (primary connection) and go to properties. Scroll down to "Internet Protocol TCP/IP", select it and hit "Properties" button. If all the fields on the dialog page are blank for IP address, and DNS then click the radio next to "Use the following DNS Servers" and type
"4.2.2.1" in the first location
and "4.2.2.2" in the second.
These are microsoft's DNS servers and they are well maintained. This will make sure that you are not having DNS issues.

IF THERE IS INFO IN THE DNS BOXES THEN I SUGGEST YOU WRITE IT DOWN BEFORE REPLACING ANYTHING!!!

SOME ISPs WILL NOT LET YOU CONNECT BUT BY THEIR DNS SERVERS/PROXY

Try these two and we'll go from there. I'm just trying to narrow down what your problem might be. Try to take some notes on the process.
tidruG
I've faced this problem a few times. It's a screw-up by some ISPs whose DNS servers aren't quite doing their job properly. You might even be facing trouble accessing certain sites like http://themes.wordpress.net

A friend recommended I use OpenDNS. Basically, you just have to edit your connection settings to use their DNS servers rather than your ISP's. It's worked for me, and I have never changed back from OpenDNS so far.

The link is http://opendns.com/
IceCreamTruck
OpenDNS, wow, I guess I learn something new every day.

Microsoft's DNS servers (4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2) can't be beat in simplicity, or memorablity.

But if you fear the influence of a massive computer company or you have a linux system that absolutely refuses microsoft settings, then you should try OpenDNS. This joke sponsored by no one.
criminalcrap
i've tryed both..

1st. Try to go to tools > internet options > connections (tab) and then click on "Lan Settings." Make sure these fields are blank, and then try it. If you have information here like some strange IP address, then your computer is using a proxy from your ISP and you need to write down this info and try to clear all the fields and then connect. If you really can't connect at that point, then re-enter your ISP proxy info.

this first one is empty so i dont use any proxy's

2nd. Right click "My Network Places" and go to properties. Right click "local network" (primary connection) and go to properties. Scroll down to "Internet Protocol TCP/IP", select it and hit "Properties" button. If all the fields on the dialog page are blank for IP address, and DNS then click the radio next to "Use the following DNS Servers" and type
These are microsoft's DNS servers and they are well maintained. This will make sure that you are not having DNS issues.

this one was also empty.. now i tryed it with this 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and i still cant connect..

weird....
IceCreamTruck
criminalcrap wrote:
i've tryed both..

this first one is empty so i dont use any proxy's

Actually you might be getting "Automaticly" assigned a proxy by your ISP. Uncheck the box, here, and then disable/enable local network. This should refresh to none without that box checked.

criminalcrap wrote:

this one was also empty.. now i tryed it with this 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and i still cant connect..

weird....

ok, so I'm going to play around with it for a minute and tell you what I think. I'll see if I can't get any timeout errors while browsing your site. BRB!

OK, so now I'm back. I went to your site and I get the following in dutch: "Even offline A temporary jamming has appeared. This have been solved within some minutes! "

the actual dutch text "Even offline
Er is een tijdelijke storing opgetreden. Dit zal binnen enkele minuten zijn opgelost! "

I don't know what this means. Have you messed up your set up somehow by installing something that you don't know how to recover from? Have you been Hijacked?

All very interesting questions...

What does your site look like when you login? Everything look normal when you FTP in to your site?
criminalcrap
IceCreamTruck wrote:

OK, so now I'm back. I went to your site and I get the following in dutch: "Even offline A temporary jamming has appeared. This have been solved within some minutes! "

the actual dutch text "Even offline
Er is een tijdelijke storing opgetreden. Dit zal binnen enkele minuten zijn opgelost! "

I don't know what this means. Have you messed up your set up somehow by installing something that you don't know how to recover from? Have you been Hijacked?

All very interesting questions...

What does your site look like when you login? Everything look normal when you FTP in to your site?

this line :
"Even offline

that means:
"Temperary offline.. A temporary jamming has appeared. This have been solved within some minutes"

but he says that cause he cant connect to the DB (didn't upload the database stuff yet)..

the problem is i cant connect to my hosting/cpanel/ftp...
looks like im banned or something with everything attached to it..

it all happend after i changed my password...
in the meantime i was uploading my php scripts..
in the cpanel i pressed backspace sometimes to get back to main page..
when i did that sometimes i get "brute force attack" warning i got that 2x and now i cant connect to anything any more..

maybe this info helps..
IceCreamTruck
Yeah, I or you Should message Bondings concerning this issue. Sounds like you triggered a defence against attack.

Describe your troubles to Bondings, or another admin, and i'm sure that they will be able to help you. Talk about the bruteforce warnings...they will know what's happened.

Seems you have been blocked my friend!!!

TiDrug, can you help with this?!?!?!?!
tidruG
There seems to be some sort of a problem with the cPanel on Server 1. I'm not able to reach it myself. Luckily, Bondings was online at the time (he's online on my MSN Messenger right now). So I've brought it to his notice. I'll keep you updated.
IceCreamTruck
Wow, thanks TiDrug. That was quick.

Thanks for the update. Let me know how it goes.
Bondings
The problem was that the domain records frihost.net and www.frihost.net weren't set in the dns, causing them not to work. I added them back and they should work again once the dns settings are fully propagated. This doesn't/didn't affect the subdomains/domains, so you can/could still access cpanel by using the url with the ip address or a subdomain/domain.

If you are logged out due to the brute force prevention, then it's usually only for a specific time, I think. Maybe tomorrow it will work. The mysql shouldn't have anything to do with this as it's a different user/password normally. (assuming you use a user/password specifically for the database and not your global username/password which might also work in cpanel but would be blocked if the username is blocked)
BigGeek
You know, this might all be free, you know frihost webstie hosting, but I gotta tell you this is one of the most difficult processes I have been through, Building a Wordpress website on frihost is F*^%ing hard. Documentation is none, advice from users incomplete, supprot from admins not real helpful, websites down for days. WOW, and I thought becoming a Network Engineer was hard Laughing

OK so I can't get my website to resolve the names for blogspot.google.com, wordpress.org, and planet.wordpress.org, so none of the RSS feeds work.

I also cannot instal the Askimet key because the site tells me it can't reach the Askimet servers.

I send an email to the admin morpheus who posted in the Wordpress discussion about this problem. entries are almost 2 years old, and it is still a problem. I serch some more to find this post about Open DNS. I see no way to set these addresses for my website, it appears from the infor that this is for my home computers NOT my website.

Can you say frustrated? Can you say tired of searching and working to end up with no progress?

Because I sure can. I guess free hosting and free support is worth what you pay for it. Bummer, been a bad year, lots of friends died, my dog is gone, I'm trying to keep my head up and get something going for me, and this crap goes on.

Ever wonder shy folks don't publish on the web, maybe because it is so frustrating, the lack of help, and any help always has to be paid for. NONE FOR FREE!

Any help would be appreciated......PLEASE!
Bondings
@BigGeek, there is currently a problem with the server making it impossible to connect to other websites from your website. (it might work for cronjobs though)

A new server is already ordered and it should be working after the move.
evilryu530
im not sure if this has happed to my sites also.
but i havent been able to access for days. i can access directadmin but dont see my indexhtml files.
design.frih.net