FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wow.

stiffler
Hey there, I have just got hosting from Frihost, and am quite overwhelmed with the amount of options that are available to me for use on this website.

My main question is what should I use? I am not familiar with any of the scripting stuff(php, css, etc...) but I am willing to take some time to learn them. I have a small amount of html experience, but thats about it.

What I plan to do on my website is have a small bulletin board for friends and family, be able to let my friends and family upload photos to the site for viewing by others. As well as my own family's little personal stuff.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have spent quite a bit of time already looking at the various options, but I really dont know what I should be using.

Thanks.
mathiaus
Well most (99.9%) of forums are run using php/mysql so your likely to use them. I suggest using phpbb or smf.
The the images you could use a gallery or something similar or code your own script to do what you want. If you were to do this I again would use php/mysql (easiest option)
For layouts and things html is good (only option!) but you should learn css as well to benefit it better.

Hope that helps
Matt
mrbace
Yeah I agree, also try to code your website itself in PHP, a lot more functional then HTML Wink Good luck with your site!
JaeCee
In the cPanel, there's a link to 'Fantastico'. It's tool to quickly install boards, news management, blogs, etc ..

Go in there, select phpBB or SMF, and you can quick and painlessly install a bulletin board.
stiffler
Alrighty, thanks for all the tips. I'll see what I can make of this stuff. Shocked
budazz
but at least you have to learn those things like php mysql, so you can debug the board...in case Very Happy
stiffler
budazz wrote:
but at least you have to learn those things like php mysql, so you can debug the board...in case Very Happy

Yeah, I plan on educating myself somewhat on this. I have spent a few hours reading begginners php/mysql and the like. I have never really been much of a coder, so its all mostly a jumble of words right now.

To make things simpler, I have gotten ahold of a decent template(not yet uploaded), and will start from there.

I have 1 big question nagging me though:

How can I make my site so that when a person logs in on the main page or the phpBB, they are logged in on both? Or is this automatically done?

See, my idea is I want to have public and a private forum(s). As well as an Image Upload area that will send images to a Gallery for the private forum users.

Thanks!!!!
digibluez
Forum is too much for such a site.How about a blogger its more easier to handel and dont require lots of costumezing.http://www.blogger.com/
I just recently decided myself to do so-Forums are for big communitys a blogger is more for home personal use,and it gives a different feeling than forums.But anyway you know better what you want.
sprinqles
Its really important to learn HTML, even just the basics. The easiest HTML is tutorial is from Lissa Explains It All. Its actually a tutorial for kids so its really easy to understand and you won't get bored. Smile hehehe

It is easy to get a free template but its kinda hard to modify it if you only know a little about HTML so its bes to arm yourself with alot of HTML knowledge. I've done the same thing before but I just ended up getting frustrated and it was such a waste of time.

Since you want other to upload pictures as well try installing a Photogallery, you may use Coppermine or Gallery. Just install it through Fantastico. Others can log-in and out, add comments, upload their own pictures but make sure that the file size won't be too big or else it will cost you a lot of space. You just have to add a link in your website that will lead to your Photo Gallery. Smile

I hope that helps! Start from something simple first, then gradually explore creating webpages with php or css or java, etc. It helps alot to know the basic first, which is HTML. Smile

Lissa Explains It All- http://www.lissaexplains.com/
royke5
I have a site made with frontpage. The subject are my pigeons so I'm posting to earn my poitns so I can put my site online thx to Frihost!
asiddle423
you can create a forum by clicking on the bulletin board which is located on the cpanel. this sets up the php forum for you. it has options set for you to change everything on it including the forum layout, user activation, etc.

basically this pre-made forum does everything for you
dragonflame
Not sure if this has been mentioned in the other posts, but it hasnt for this thread. www.w3schools.com is a very good place to start learning and testing small pieces of code that you can put together.
budazz
digibluez wrote:
Forum is too much for such a site.How about a blogger its more easier to handel and dont require lots of costumezing.http://www.blogger.com/
I just recently decided myself to do so-Forums are for big communitys a blogger is more for home personal use,and it gives a different feeling than forums.But anyway you know better what you want.

i think he wants to create a forum... Cool
supjapscrapper
budazz wrote:
digibluez wrote:

i think he wants to create a forum... Cool

I thin a blog might be an excellent idea for the use that he has expressed wanting to do for the website.

apart from that, use the fantastico and just read the descriptions about the tools that you can install in one click. There are many many. You'll find image galleries managers that are of excellent quality.

hav fun!
Ashims
The most direct way to get what you are looking for is to install phpbb, then install a gallery module into it. I've got a gallery module somewhere that adds general galleries, and then each user has an amount of space to upload fotos to their personal gallery. Its simple and effective.

To achieve the public/private forum is easy... when you create a new forum in the phpbb admin page, you just set the permissions so that only a certian user group can use them. You also create user groups from the admin page too... at the bottom of the menu or something.

just incase you want it the photo album/gallery plugin is called "Smartor Photo Album" and is available... uhm....

here --> http://smartor.is-root.com/

Hope that helps you a bit... if you have any more specific questions about PHPBB or any of this stuff post em and I'll be glad to answer. You might also like to check out the phpBB Website. Their forums are full of guides and things... thousands of pages of the stuff. Should help alot ^_^.

Cheers.
Ash.
m_furquan36
I would suggest you DO create a PHPBB forum using the Frihost Cpanel, and Link it to the PHPBB forums, just to add a little extra touch to the introduction to your site, make a snazzy flash animation of sumthing. Make sure you blend the theme of yuor PHPBB forum with your main page so that ur visitors dont think theyve gone to the wrong place!!! Also, remember to sign up for AdSense, by goog,e a WONDERFUL way of earning if you plan on exposing your site a massive user base!!! Good luck with ur website!