FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hi everyone, plz help me on building my very first website!

meadow1988
hi, i'm new to Frihost as well as website hosting, i would like to start learning about website, can any one give me a clue where to start? is there any other design software that is better than Front page? THank YOU!
andy26
Yea i totally recommend using NVU for starting off with its a brilliant free web page editor. i started off with front page and then dream weaver but i prefer this free editor NVU its brilliant! I wish i had the opportunity to begin with this program. its good if your not a big fan of lots of coding you can use overlays that you move into postion. just like a text box in front page, except NvU makes your website compatible with all browsers Download it from here http://www.nvu.com/

These are the sites iv made using it. www.andysserver.frih.net www.crazybunny.info monsterchops.co.uk
mscon
Try dreamweaver. It's easy. You can develop a webpage like you design on with Ms word. Try reading the help files. You will be able to develop a professional one. You will able to add dynamic content like flash without any effort
swizzy
for a start, i would recommend you Sams book series for HTML, and CSS. If you straight away want to pounce in for practicals, go for w3schools.

If you have enough knowledge about the basics of HTML, you can use a editor like dreamweaver...
{name here}
meadow1988 wrote:
hi, i'm new to Frihost as well as website hosting, i would like to start learning about website, can any one give me a clue where to start? is there any other design software that is better than Front page? THank YOU!

Front page is absolutely terrible. Practically anything else on the market is better, but I reccomend you go with Dreamweaver, or if you don't want to pay for web design software, then go with NVU.

If you want to go bare bones and hand-make very lean, clean, and complex web designs, you'll need to learn HTML, and CSS. Javascript is optional, but if you want to make AJAX sites, you need to learn it. My advice to you as you start out is to use your editor as a chance to learn how to code basic HTML, then learn to clean it, and then you'll end up doing better writing code by yourself in a simple text editor like Vim. Use Wikibooks or Tizag.com to learn them.

Also, you'll need an image editor. Fireworks has an excellent user interface and is very easy to use for web graphics. Photoshop and Pixel are also nice to use. But, if you don't want to pay for your web design software, you can use GIMP, which I personally don't like because of its shoddy multiple window interface, but it's free. It works good as a photoshop alternative, though.
rickinyorkshire
Yes, i too would recommend Dream weaver. Easy to set up, with included ftp tools so you can easily upload your web pages etc. Front page is too much of a bloat, including pointless code etc.

I'd say get to your local library and get one of those 'for dummies' books. It Might sound insulting but i find those series of books pretty good tbh for beginning something.

Good luck.
Dennise
I have an older version of Dreamweaver (DW3). I think the learning curve is not too steep.

Besides producing code easily, DW has lots of other "must-have" features like fast preview on multiple browsers together with a simple but effective FTP tool to upload your website files and keep them synchronized.

You can probably get a pre-owned copy of DW on ebay. Wink
katnicolas
you must have at least one friend that good at web design. It's more easy to have a personal tutorial.
NewAgeDesigns
Very Happy Dreamweaver is the best program for webdesign. I like the fact that you can preview your work while your making changes to your site.
Zackster
Here is my advice find a page that you like and look at it's code and then play with it until you get something good happening.

Get a basic html editor and use it, it will force you to pick up a few tricks.
JoshuAAR
I agree with everyone else. Have a play with both learning HTML coding and getting used to using dreamweaver.

I found this site a while ago that i thought was pretty helpfull Debbie T Designs

If your going to learn just try and make sure your not learning outdated stuff so you dont get bad habits early on. Go for Div's and CSS styling and you wont go wrong Smile [/url]
imagefree
JoshuAAR wrote:
I agree with everyone else. Have a play with both learning HTML coding and getting used to using dreamweaver.

I found this site a while ago that i thought was pretty helpfull Debbie T Designs

If your going to learn just try and make sure your not learning outdated stuff so you dont get bad habits early on. Go for Div's and CSS styling and you wont go wrong Smile [/url]

Frontpage is easy. You can design your webpage as if you were creating your MS word document.
Dreamweaver is Powerful, more professional and dynamic and can work with latest technologies (specially PHP).

NVU is useful too, (i used it for 2-3 days some time ago). The best thing about NVU is its free at all.

Choose whatever you prefer Friendliness, Power (and friendliness too), or Price.
GB
My advice is come up with the content first and figure out how to make it unique. This is what I tell everyone just starting out. Your content is going to be the most important thing you put together.
mgeek
meadow1988 wrote:

Here is where I began learning: Collectanea Informatica
mgeek
GB wrote:
My advice is come up with the content first and figure out how to make it unique. This is what I tell everyone just starting out. Your content is going to be the most important thing you put together.

I must agree
mgeek
meadow1988 wrote:

I found a YouTube video showing how one creates a webpage using Notepad. It can be useful to your. Go to this article.
GavinJaynes
Yeah as everyone said use Dreamweaver to build it and I would recommend Filezilla as an ftp client.
Really good and reliable.
the-blurb
GavinJaynes wrote:
Yeah as everyone said use Dreamweaver to build it and I would recommend Filezilla as an ftp client.
Really good and reliable.

I also use Filezilla... FTP was always a hassle for me until I found this great software. Makes everything so much quicker and simple to do.

I think if you're just starting out, though, stay away from FTP.. in fact forget I ever mentioned it because the worst thing you can do when starting out is confuse yourself with all the different web making terms.

I would suggest finding yourself a website template that looks to be something you quite like and fits your content, someone mentioned Dreamweaver earlier, but any other software would be good to use at first. And work on one section at a time. Don't take on too much at once, and certainly don't make it any harder for yourself by trying to write your own html and so on, this is something you can work on as you get more knowledge. Start out by getting some software where you can see your webpage as you make it, and then once you've created it, look at your html code carefully and decipher what bits match each part of your design.. then try changing little things like colours and fonts before moving on to bigger things.
Xrave
Websites, hmm where to start?

1. Choose your website scheme
I am a Flash Designer, so I'd prefer to just make my site in a swf file and then embed it into a single html page, but obviously, that's not really going to help you. So, unfortunately, you'll have to do HTML Sites first.

HTML:

>- 1. Set a scheme: Start BRAINSTORMING! Examples of Brainstorm subjects below:
>>>>>Topic/Purpose>Ways of Presentation(in your case, HTML)>Color Scheme(like dark grey+lime)>Point of Website(there's no point making a site if its only function is, say, to introduce yourself)>Attractions!(Whether a game here or there embedded into a webpage)>Visitors(How can people find you? What can they find you for?)

>- 2. Start to plan:

First start off by making a navigational plan: like you want your homepage to link to 'About Me', 'My Work' and 'Store', and in 'About Me' page you might want to have a link to your email.

Then make the content plans for the page. I'll leave that up to you

>- 3. Start making it!
Then use a design software mentioned by other guys, Dreamweaver is great and don't even touch Frontpage. Make the page.

>- 4. Upgrades!

As you get more comfortable with your site, you don't want it to be all text and no images, so start adding in your own images, bear in mind that they'll have to fit in with your color-scheme, otherwise they'll look terrible.

You might want to use Adobe Fireworks or some other graphics application for images.

>- 5. Ads

Money! So interesting, eh? Add some Ads into your site can brighten up the page with a weird and annoying animation Wink though I personally dislike Ads, but strategically place those around your page can make the site look better. And you get income too.

>- 6. Promotion

Friends to advertise for you? Well the website needs to get out into the internet. But first make sure people have a reason for visiting your site.

Well, that's the 6 steps for setup of HTML websites from me. It's enough for beginners, believe me. You'd be very proud if you can upgrade the site to look nice!

Goodluck, and don't give up so easily now I typed all that for you! Wink

Xrave
furtasacra
mgeek wrote:
GB wrote:

I must agree

I second that agreement, and also strongly suggest going here:

http://www.w3schools.com/

Web page editors can save you a lot of time, but they don't always get everything the way you want, and you need to know html and css to tweak and fine-tune your design.
quasar
If you have time, do opt for quality. You will do good websites with Web publishers, but they will be better ones if you choose furtasacra advice.
ParsaAkbari
I suggest webplus

dreamweaver is kind of annoying since you cant move your images around freely.
Webplus is good for beginners and vetreans since it offers features like database ect ect
deanhills
Best learning is just by doing it. FrontPage is easy. Especially when you are beginning. Think I learned most when I was challenged and had to look up how to do specific things, such as for instance having an attachment open in a new window instead of a frame, or how to do a frame.

Also, by googling I learned a lot as there is an abundance of tips available on the Internet. I remember I first used Lycos, a Search Engine that provided Internet Hosting as well, to experiment and learned quite a bit that way too as it came with lots of FrontPage tips. If you should use a freebie Internet Host, remember to make sure that you are set up for FrontPage Extensions. Some Free Internet Hosts do not have that facility. With others you need to go into your set-up and will be prompted to activate it - as with Lycos. Otherwise you will have problems with publishing your Website and will need additional FTP software.
cavey
Do NOT use FrontPage. Microsoft does not make that program anymore. It makes lousy code so that it won't show right in your friends browser. Also less and less webhosts will support Frontpage Extensions.

I would recommend Dreamweaver. It does not cost much (but try a trial before you buy, to make sure you like it!). You can make your website both in design mode, and code mode.

Good luck!
deanhills
Thanks Cavey. Just learned something new. FrontPage is out. Good advice then to stay away from it. I probably will need to change to another software package as well. Will check out Dreamweaver as suggested.
wylieconlon
w3schools.com offers comprehensive tutorials for HTML and CSS, which is where I recommend that you start. You can create a basic page first, then use CSS to make it look good.

Think of it this way: HTML is for your content, and CSS is for your style. Learn HTML first so you can create a basic page, then start making it look good with CSS.