FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac vs. PC (in 3D- and Movie-Composing)

showarea
Hi,

i think to buy Mac, so i want be sure, thats a best choise.

what do you thing, is Mac or PC better for professional 3D and Movie creation?
It must have high performence and be userfrindly...
Boffel
Well, mac has final cut for video editing, but windows has premiere that I think is allot better.
(mac can also have premiere)

if you want to use codes for your 3d modells to create special effects +++ windows is always better at coding.

With windows bugs and problems is easy to solve because more people use it, and its easier to get help.

Mac is nice to look at, and the modelling is perhaps more relaxing like a hobby. On windows it feels like you doing hard work, because the layout is more serious.

Mac is faster, and its more cheap to get more gig.

Mac doesnt have "ctrl alt delete", so if your computer freeze you have to restart it, so you cant save projects in other programs then the program that is responsible for the freeze. In windows u can just close the program that freezes the pc and continue with the other programs.

I dont know, but I have always liked windows to do everything. Also mac cannot run exe. files without some ugly simulators. Just pick what you like most...
irishmark
Boffel wrote:
Well, mac has final cut for video editing, but windows has premiere that I think is allot better.

if you want to use codes for your 3d modells to create special effects +++ windows is always better at coding.

With windows bugs and problems is easy to solve because more people use it, and its easier to get help.

Mac is nice to look at, and the modelling is perhaps more relaxing like a hobby. On windows it feels like you doing hard work, because the layout is more serious.

Mac doesnt have "ctrl alt delete", so if your computer freeze you have to restart it, so you cant save projects in other programs then the program that is responsible for the freeze. In windows u can just close the program that freezes the pc and continue with the other programs.

I dont know, but I have always liked windows to do everything. Also mac cannot run exe. files without some ugly simulators. Just pick what you like most...

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF THIS! Sorry Boffle but your opinionson this cannot be taken seriously. You obviously have no real experience using Macs aganst PC's.

I work in a studio working on FCP on a Mac and Premier on a PC - Premier Pro is terrible in comparrisson. It just dones not work as well and it relies heavily on hardware accelaration that FCP simply doesnt need.

Macs are very diffren to PC's - they are Better. If y are not used to usinga Mac then it can be a little frustrating but the same functions are there - its just diffrent buttons.

"crt-alt-del" is not a function but "option-alt-esc" is the equivelant.

Mac's are better looking, better at their jobs, faster, less go wrong...i could go on.

Best solution is to have both. PC for administrative jobs and a Mac to do anything creative at all. remember yu can always buy 3d software on both platforms.
TheStig
I prefer Mac for my Graphic Design. The Mac is a more... arty machine, where as the PC is more Spreadsheets - it's not as creative and inspirational... if you get what I mean?

I like to use iMovie (which came with it) and Photoshop on it.
Alaskacameradude
Really, they are both fine. Both a Mac and a PC can make great videos/films and it isn't really about the computer, it is about the skill of the editor. That being said, I will give you a couple reasons why I favor a Mac.

1. Choice. This used to be the word spouted by PC users. After all, PC users had more programs they could use etc.... These days, more choice is offered by Macs. After all, if you load up your new intel Mac with a copy of Windows on one partition of your harddrive you can run ANY software, Windows or Mac based. And if you buy a PC, you CAN'T run Final Cut Pro. Mac's now run Windows using a variety of programs...Bootcamp, Parallels, and so on.

2. Marketability. If you want to work with others and make money doing this, you have to look at what others are using. Avid is probably the biggest NLE and Avid is a cross platform NLE (not that you have to worry about this, cause like I said in #1, if you have a Mac you can run a PC NLE). Final Cut Pro is probably the #2 NLE used out there, and it WON'T run on a PC! If you know FCP, you will be valuable sometimes, just because so many people use it!!!

3. Internet. Usually you don't want to connect your edit machine to the internet. You can get a virus or such. Mac's don't really have a problem with Viruses, because they are such a small percentage of the computer market, that hackers don't bother with making Mac viruses....there really aren't any out there.
thadnation
Boffel wrote:

ur an idiot. the crtl key is more or less replaced with the command key.