FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can I Keep My Secret Data Hidden by Removing Drives

shkhanal
There are many times you wish to hide some data on your computer so that a common user or guests should not be informed and be unable to access them. You'd like some paragraphs not visible, some files hidden and even some drives away from the regular eyes on your computer and you wish to maintain secrecy but recorded. Solutions might range to three different levels of hiding:

Data Level Hiding (Hiding text, paragraphs, pages)
    File Level Hiding
    Drive Level Hiding

Regarding some text, paragraphs to hide you can apply the features provided on your application programs such that hide text on 'font' dialog box of Ms-Word; hide cell, row, column commands on Ms-Excel and so on. You can force protection by applying password to protect them.

Regarding some files to hide on your system, you can use Hidden file attribute or property of Windows Explorer. Right click the file icon and choose 'Properties', on resulting dialog box enable the 'Hidden' check box then click OK. But the files hidden this way can be revealed by turning on 'Show hidden files and folders' option on 'Folder Options' menu. Some third party tools are available if you wish to protect the secrecy with password.

Today, what I am going to discuss here is hiding drives. Suppose you have a hard disk installed with two partitions namely C and D drives. You want to store your critical and secret contents on D drive and wish this drive be not listed anywhere. Proceed following steps and enjoy!

Open Group Policy
    Choose 'Run' from Start Menu
    Type 'gpedit.msc' on Run dialog box
    Navigate to the Local Computer Policy >> User Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> Windows Explorer
    On the right pane double click 'Hide these specified drives in My Computer
    On resulting dialog box mark the 'Enabled' radio button
    From 'Pick one of the following combination' drop down list choose 'D drive only'.
    Click 'Apply'
    Open My Computer to check if the drive is hidden. Good! its gone.

Note: To restore the drives you can disable this option or choose 'Do not restrict drives' option
    Click OK to close this dialog box.
So, the drive where your secret data are stored is hidden. Nobody can browse it through my computer window or from file >> open dialog box of any applications. But still, be informed that, you can still access this drive by typing the path on address bar or Run dialog box. If you wish to restrict access to this drive enforce another option 'Prevent access to drives from My Computer option too!

Happy Computing Wink
silverdown
I suggest you get a U3 sandisk flash drive that allows you to password protect it or download trucrypt.org (trucrypt program) because your are able to add virtual drives that are encrypted and only accessible with the correct password.
ocalhoun
My weapon of choice for this is TrueCrypt

It makes a dummy file with any extension you want, which looks like an ordinary file, but can be mounted as an internal hard drive. This file includes two drives. When you make it, you give two passwords. One password is for the decoy, which will bring up benign data if you are forced to give up the password, the other password is for the data you actually want to hide. That way you have plausible deniability, and you can make a show of full disclosure while still hiding the important stuff.
silverdown
ocalhoun wrote:
My weapon of choice for this is TrueCrypt

It makes a dummy file with any extension you want, which looks like an ordinary file, but can be mounted as an internal hard drive. This file includes two drives. When you make it, you give two passwords. One password is for the decoy, which will bring up benign data if you are forced to give up the password, the other password is for the data you actually want to hide. That way you have plausible deniability, and you can make a show of full disclosure while still hiding the important stuff.

Only a court order will get me to give up my passwords, but they will be stunned to find that only that I really hide are my development software for my site, software I am working on (Teen kid next door uses my computer for homework, he knows what I am doing & tries to peak at the progress and claims can crack my passwords. yet he can't find my the unmounted Truecrypt drive that is hidden on the desktop.) and photo-shop software images. I really got nothing to hide, other things like important are kept on a 4 GB us Sandisk flash drive which is with me at all times.