FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

File "doesn't exist"

DjMilez
http://djmilez.frihost.net/forumposts/%20Testing!%20.php

That was created when I was testing out my flat file forum system. After I archived it, that file just refuses to be deleted. It says it doesn't exist =/
IceCreamTruck
Have you tried renaming the file? I see special characters in the name, and this could be causing issues. Rename the file to something else, if you can, like "simplename.html" and then delete it.

There is most likely a bug in some part of the system that doesn't like "spaces" in the file name or "!" exclamations. Microsoft has us all naming our files this way, but most of the "free" world doesn't use spaces in file names. Especially in web documents. The standard is to use "_" instead like in this example "File_Name_With_Underscores.html"

Does this work? You might also try scripting a delete file program using php, asp, VB, or perl. But that's a whole other can of worms.

Read up on what characters you should and shouldn't use in file names. I dunno, go to google or something. Avoid "!,.[]{}/\" and the like. You really should only be using letters and numbers in file names.
DjMilez
Well, PHP created that file because I posted a topic <.<

also
Quote:
Testing! .php could not be renamed to a.php

<.<[
SpellcasterDX
Try renaming the topic on your forums?
IceCreamTruck
DjMilez wrote:
Well, PHP created that file because I posted a topic <.<

also
Quote:
Testing! .php could not be renamed to a.php

<.<[

OK, I give up. You got me!! LOL, I see the problem, but I would do what I always do to solve it, but from this perspective I can't do what I'd normally do, and that is try anything and everything until the file is gone. Which would include, renaming/deleting, moving/renaming/deleting, I would try writing a script to do the job because I might be able to get some more control over the file name possibilities without going through normal OS restrictions, and I would try backing up everything on the computer and smashing it with a hammer (deleting files is all in the wrist!!).

Dare I ask why this file was automatically created and now must be deleted? How did this persistant file come to be? If you've already explained that then I'll just have to reread the topic. If it was automatically created then I would try using the program that created it to "uninstall" it, maybe...

Also, figure out why it was created and see if you can't write a fix for whatever program created it, assuming of course that it is open source.

One more...then I'm going to sleep. Try deleting the folder that contains the file using some program that either has a checkbox for delete all children of the folder (files and dirs), or one that says "are you sure you want to delete this folder. it's not empty." The reason I say this is some automatic software like "net2ftp" might use a strong directory delete command as apposed to a weak command that wouldn't delete a full folder (has children files/dirs inside). Programs that delete children files/dirs one by one before removing parent dirs also might give error on that file name that you have there.

OK, I go to sleep now.
DjMilez
SpellcasterDX wrote:

I can't, I never coded a moderation system plus the version that made the file is obsolete.
Also, deleting the folder doesn't work
IceCreamTruck
DjMilez wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:

I can't, I never coded a moderation system plus the version that made the file is obsolete.
Also, deleting the folder doesn't work

You are going to need a bigger hammer! Smile

Seriously, this problem has got me stumped. You need to consult and admin, and have them go in surgery style and remove this file that has become such a problem.

How bad does leaving it alone hurt? Is it really cramping your style?