FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Importing databases

truespeed
I don't seem to be able to import a database into phpmyadmin,i tried to upload a database for wordpress,yet it timed out,and said an error had occured,i tried again by sql inject,but it still wouldnt have it.

The database i was trying to upload was from another host so i thought maybe there was something in the code,so i then tried to re-upload the one i i had just created on here,only for it to come up with errors again. strange. maybe its a timing out issue,but creating 10 tables with little info on them should't time you out all the time.
tidruG
Maybe there's a mismatch in terms of the version of MySQL? Or perhaps you should check the encoding.
Bondings
How big is the database? There might also be an option to upload a gzipped database, maybe that one might work.
rvec
if the database is too big you could use this: http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php
that'll dump the database in chunks so it won't time out.
takashiro
I always import database by Mysql Management on DirectAdmin. That's much faster and easier.
truespeed
tidruG wrote:
Maybe there's a mismatch in terms of the version of MySQL? Or perhaps you should check the encoding.

I think that was it,i had to change..in every table...

Code:
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=3 ;

to..example

Code:
) TYPE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=3 ;

Im not sure if im supposed to do this,but it worked.

PS: the domain i am using,isnt showing up on my domains list in direct admin?
IceCreamTruck
He said SQL not MySQL...

I think the change you made is a compatibility thing between SQL and MySQL or so it looks.

Some databases are not compatible with eachother. Different language used to get MySQL to do what SQL will do, and sometimes MySQL won't do it at all. You are lucky if you were able to make this kind of transition.

What you did, I think, is take out the statements that were not MySQL compatible. You did it the hard way, congrats!!

Just make sure that the default character set for the database is something like "latin1" and you'll be fine. If you don't have any problems, then you don't have to do this at all...I'm just trying to let you know how to fix the parts that you excluded. If you are using it and you get weird characters instead of what you are expecting, then you might need to go in and tell the database latin1 is default character set. You would have had a lot more troubles if you were doing this in some asian dialect. But because you are using latin1 characters anyway then you won't even know the difference.
truespeed
IceCreamTruck wrote:
He said SQL not MySQL...

I think the change you made is a compatibility thing between SQL and MySQL or so it looks.

Some databases are not compatible with eachother. Different language used to get MySQL to do what SQL will do, and sometimes MySQL won't do it at all. You are lucky if you were able to make this kind of transition.

What you did, I think, is take out the statements that were not MySQL compatible. You did it the hard way, congrats!!

Just make sure that the default character set for the database is something like "latin1" and you'll be fine. If you don't have any problems, then you don't have to do this at all...I'm just trying to let you know how to fix the parts that you excluded. If you are using it and you get weird characters instead of what you are expecting, then you might need to go in and tell the database latin1 is default character set. You would have had a lot more troubles if you were doing this in some asian dialect. But because you are using latin1 characters anyway then you won't even know the difference.

I don't understand databases,i try to avoid phpmyadmin as much as possible,all i did here was do a fresh install of wordpress,export the database,and look to see what was different with the one i wanted to upload,and it was just the same line of code in each table,once changed,the new database imported fine.
IceCreamTruck
truespeed wrote:
I don't understand databases,i try to avoid phpmyadmin as much as possible,all i did here was do a fresh install of wordpress,export the database,and look to see what was different with the one i wanted to upload,and it was just the same line of code in each table,once changed,the new database imported fine.

Well, you figured out the compatibility difference between the two databases and manually made the change. Hence, the "Hard Way," was accomplished. I'd assume that there is litterally some program out there that would make these subtile changes for you after you told it from what database to what kind of database you were making the transfer, and some might considder that the "Easy Way" but you saved yourself a lot of time by thinking like a programmer.

This makes your smarter than your average bear, BooBoo!!

I'm happy that you had such and easy time of the whole transition. I keep running accross people with unsolvable problems. Not fun!

truespeed wrote:
i try to avoid phpmyadmin as much as possible.

You understand more about databases than you think. phpmyadmin is not the way to go. I think you'd actually like programming. I hate graphical interfaces when it comes to true data manipulation and database management. UIs are slow...I script just about everything I need that isn't already written for me elsewhere.