FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Equal justice for all in America???

icecool
maybe not world news, but news in my world.

this is the story of cc, my lady darling living in pennsylvania, us of a.

17 years ago, cc had a daughter. the father was a tyrant, abusive, violent, on drink and drugs. cc's parents, after mentally and physically abusing her all her young life, thought her having the kid was the final punishment and shame brought onto the family and denied her any support, moral or financial, until even now. cc left the father of her daughter and won a custody battle incurring great expense. she also had to have a restraining order against him after some time of stalking and threatening actions. the father didn't pay maintenance for some years and finally a court order was issued - this was a federal order, not a state one - for him to pay, including backpay instalments. a 3 week warrant was attached to the court order meaning in effect that if he doesn't pay for 3 consecutive weeks he will be automatically arrested. cc and the kid moved to her parents for economic reasons. this all happened in new jersey ( nj ).

10 years ago cc, her daughter and her parents moved to pennsylvania ( pa ). at some stage the father moved to florida ( fl ). child support payments came through irregular but mostly within the 3 week warrant time. cc found a part time job, moved into her own small appartment with her daughter and did her best to give the kid a better childhood than she herself had - she is now top of her class in highschool, a budding artist and keen to go to college this year. cc is a talented but overworked and frustrated artist with a bfa in art, always scraping along the breadline with her part time job.

a stoty told and heard a million times all over the world - so normal in fact that it's nothing out of the ordinary to most of us.

then 12 weeks ago the child support payments stopped. this had happened before but they always resumed. when they didnt this time cc reported it to the relevant enforcement office. they checked her account, confirmed the situation and said lets wait a little, they may start again. well, they didn't. so just imagine you have your income cut in half, suddenly, not by your own doing. for 12 weeks. that's 3 months. and you're balancing anyway. with no med care because you only work part time. and college fees coming up for your kid.

so pa tells nj. nj request a court hearing!!!!!! i ask what for??? isn't he breaking the law??? it's a federal 3 week warrant. 3 weeks ago nj find out that he moved to fl. they tell pa. pa tells nj to tell fl about the situation. that's where we are now. all THAT took 3 weeks.

for me - and her - that's where the story stops being ordinary.

she was a victim of abuse and violence by that man.
the american justice system acknowledged this through the restraining order.
he was ordered by a court to pay for maintenance - his part of taking responsibility for the kid.
a federal warrant was issued should he default on his responsibility.
he has.
now through that warrant the system has taken on the responsibility of chasing him so as to avert financial hardship from cc and her kid.
THIS should not take 12 weeks - with electronic file transfer and email this can be done in a matter of days.
in the meantime her money and time is running out - you only can do so much juggling on HALF your normal income for 3 month.
now she - and possibly the kid - have become victims of the system that doesn't work.

and does anybody care???
or is even this part so ordinary to most of us that we just shrug our shoulders?

is this the great all american justice the great us of a is marketing as the best thing all over the world telling the rest of humanity that WE got it wrong and THEY got it right?

not from where i'm looking.
as i said.
liljp617
The system hasn't worked in a long time if ever. People have gotten used to it. So yeah, the majority of people simply shrug their shoulders and hope they don't get in the same position.
Moonspider
icecool wrote:

is this the great all american justice the great us of a is marketing as the best thing all over the world telling the rest of humanity that WE got it wrong and THEY got it right?

not from where i'm looking.
as i said.

The U.S. system of justice is not designed to punish the guilty. It's designed to insure that no innocent people are accidentally punished. As Blackstone said in 18th Century England, "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty people escape, than that one innocent suffer." It's stated in the U.S. as, "it is better than 10 (or 100) guilty people go free than one innocent person be imprisoned," or something to that effect.

I'm no lawyer, but cc's case also seems to be wrapped up in a lot of civil litigation, not a simple justice matter.

It is unfortunate for cc and her daughter. But the system is set up to favor the accused, not the victim.

Respectfully,
M
jwellsy
Quote:
17 years ago, cc had a daughter

When does the girl turn 18?
The father is not a lifetime meal ticket.

The daughter needs to get a job to go to college.
ROTC may help.
Jinx
not to sound heartless, or anything, because this story does tug at my heartstrings, but what she needs to do seems pretty simple to me.
Stop worrying about the past, what's done is done, and "oh, woe is me" doesn't pay the bills.
The situation as it stands right now is this: she's working a part time job, and she has money trouble. The solution is simple - Get a full time job.

Times are tough for everyone, but the only way to get through tough times is to look for a solution, not to wait for someone else to do it for you.

You are right, it's not fair the way she was treated. The government made her a promise, and they haven't carried through on it. It sucks, big time. But aside from organizing a revolution and setting up a government that works the way we think it ought to, it's not going to change. And even going to those extremes aren't going to help your friend here and now.

The daughter, if she's top of her class, should be able to find scholarships or other financial aid.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's time she stops being a victim and does what she needs to to control her life, instead of letting her past run things.
deanhills
Quote:
The U.S. system of justice is not designed to punish the guilty. It's designed to insure that no innocent people are accidentally punished. As Blackstone said in 18th Century England, "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty people escape, than that one innocent suffer." It's stated in the U.S. as, "it is better than 10 (or 100) guilty people go free than one innocent person be imprisoned," or something to that effect.

This was a very good explanation of the US Legal System. Thanks for it. Always thought about it. This is a rather sad story Amazing how this sense of justice can sometimes completely take over a person's life. Think I agree with other people who posted that possibly at one point you need to cut through the chase, "time out" and move on. But who knows, maybe the abuse has become self-perpetuating and feeding on itself. Possibly this family needs lots of counselling, and maybe this is unavailable, they cannot visualize it, perhaps feel hopeless, looks like hardship to me along the lines of the sins of the fathers visiting the children and their children. Neverending spiral of misery.
icecool
just a follow on after 3 months.

first thanks to all who have posted.

some good news.
her daughter has been accepted into a top college under the best possible terms. it's a big step for both of them - to be apart after 18 years - so both are going through some adjustments just now.

and some bad news.
well.... not unexpected but still.....

it's now 7 months and she is still waiting for the authorities to act and get her the child support which is due to her. the amount outstanding is over 4000 bucks - on top of the old support hhe never paid.

she has exhausted all available lines of credit to her and will have to start defaulting on some payments like rent and a loan she took out some years ago to pay fer her daughters dentristry.

i myself have writted to the PA governor, the lieutenant-governor, the Pennsylvania governors conference on women and a selection of 15 PA senators, pulled from the senats website and starting with the most senior ones identified there. I had 2 auto-replies so far and the mail to SENATOR MADIGAN, who is her rep in the senate, has been deleted without even being read.

her car is falling to pieces and if she loses that she will also lose her job.

she has been put onto foodstamps but they don't buy toilet paper toothpaste and stuff like that.

she is trying very hard not to despair. she is a honest woman and feels bad about not being able to meet her obligations. her believe in the system is totally shattered. she fears eviction if she is not able to pay her rent. she is questioning her faith - why is being GOOD rewarded like this?

she is trying very hard not to be a victim.
all i can give her is my love, respect and understanding.
but this still doesn't pay the bills.

and yet still - she has the spirit to produce this:

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-0Zdo0o82YrbxBSpCuMxB7ID4CVQezIzctws-?cq=1&l=11&u=15&mx=125&lmt=5

cheers
Libby
That's too bad for your friend, I guess the government thinks potheads and peaceful protesters and random black people are the "criminals" they should be concentrating on right now. Skipping out on child support may actually endanger the victims' wellbeing or even their lives but that's not important at all to the cops. Mad
ocalhoun
Moonspider wrote:

the system is set up to favor the accused, not the victim.

Except when accused of rape or child abuse/molestation, of course.
icecool
ocalhoun wrote:
Moonspider wrote:

the system is set up to favor the accused, not the victim.

Except when accused of rape or child abuse/molestation, of course.

so what is withholding of financial assistance to your child? there are more ways of abuse than the just physical agressive violent kind.
any person that "abuses" any kind of power they have over another fall into the same category.
paul_indo
The American system sure isn't perfect, but it is way better than in most countries of the world.

I agree with the view that as the kid is nearly 18 years old maybe it's just time to move on and forget the abusive bastard.
spring567
I don't think America as good as news report.
atul2242
Proves that the best systems are not perfect.
why do our governments put all their eggs in one systems ....
when it fails the market crash could crush many.