FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

C:windows/system32/winsit.exe missing?

g1tnr32
yea so everytime i start up my computer i get these 2 popups.

C:windows/system32/winsit.exe missing?

and

C:windows/inf/other.exe

How can I fix this?
badai
remove it from your startup folder / registry.
g1tnr32
How do i do that?
AftershockVibe
Go to Start Menu > Run. Type in "msconfig' and go to the "startup" tab.

Look for the programs in the list, the column next to the name should tell you where it is being told to run. If it's within the registry (looks like HM_LOCAL....) then go to Start > Run. Type "regedit" and navigate to its location through the tree on the left, and delete it.

If it's a directory (looks like c:\...) navigate to it the normal way through Explorer and delete it.

Also, these programs were almost certainly viruses or spyware - make sure you have a scanner installed.
g1tnr32
All the commands say C:\.. or "C:\.. and the locations all begin with mostly HKLM\... or HKCU\...

What should i do?
badai
download this

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

install, run, click skip, press ctrl+M

now you can delete them easily.
AftershockVibe
If Badai's program is no use to you then you want my explanation from my last post which involved "regedit". Command is what it is running (which has already been deleted - hence your error messages) and the location is where it's being told to run from which is what you want to get rid of now.

The HKML and HKCU are abbreviations. eg. HKLM is the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree on the left hand side. It should be obvious when you look at it Smile
g1tnr32
How do I use the regedit way? The Eusing Free Registry program doesnt seem to work.
badai
what happen when you use it. can you download it? can you install it? can you run it? more information is better, or we all will just ignore you.
infinisa
Hello g1tnr32

It looks like you've got yourself some spyware!

See the Prevx site, which says:
What we know about WINSIT.EXE:
WINSIT.EXE
AUTOMATED MALWARE PROFILE, ANALYSIS, REMOVAL AND SIGNATURE INFORMATION:
DEFINITION OF: WINSIT.EXE

* Safety Rating: Known Malware, do not run
* Malware Family: Part of Malware group - Polynomial Code Exploit
* Determination: Automatically determined using Prevx centralized heuristics
* Malware Form: EXPLOIT

... and try downloading Prevx CSI and running it

I haven't tried it myself, but I expect it's OK
AftershockVibe
badai wrote:
what happen when you use it. can you download it? can you install it? can you run it? more information is better, or we all will just ignore you.

Also, I already posted how to use regedit. If you don't understand then say which part you're stuck at and I'll clarify.