FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How about Philippines?

nigam
great beach like boracay, you will like it here.
GB
It sounds great, but getting there is so expensive!
nigam
It is not that expensive here especially in Boracay beach here in the Philippines. The food were great, the filipinos were hospitable and the ambience is really cool, a lot of visitors are coming from different countries like U.S., Europe. Koreans, Japanese. If you are there in Boracay you can see many nationalities which are having fun the heat of the sun and the cool breeze of the air in the beach. I just remembered my moment when I was there. We are having so much fun. Hope I can go back there a soon as possible, but for now, i need to make some savings for the trip.
jwellsy
Can you describe where that beach is compared to Manila, Subic City, Olongapo or even the Muslim rebels?
nigam
It can't be compared because it's way to far. The beaches in manila if you rate it from 1-10 it's just 8 but in boracay you could rate the beach to 10, also here in cebu which is my home town I can rate the beaches here from 8-9, you can stay in 5 star hotel like Shangrila Mactan or Hilton Hotel.
nigam
Oh forgot to answer about the muslim rebel. actually that really far away places like in zamboanga. in Boracay or in Cebu it's just a quite place where you can have a peace of mind while you in the vacation.
aspeckinc
Boracay is very, very beautiful, if your thinking about expenses for the trip to boracay, there are many alternatives to be found there, the island has some cheaper alternatives to the expensive restaurants and hotels found in the beachside. for example, some canteens that also serve quality food can be found in their marketplace which is called "talipapa", while some bungalow houses can also be rented for a fraction of the hotel prices which can be found in backalleys which are also safe. As for Muslim rebels, there aren't any muslim rebels in boracay because the place they are based in is quite far from the island paradise.
Coclus
Never been there.
nesmiranda
javascript:emoticon('Cool')
Cool

Philippines is blessed with beautiful and splendid beaches and lakes.

If you intend to visit and discover the Philippines, find a Filipino in your area and develop friendship. Filipinos loved to have friends and acquaintances and who knows, he or she may invite to you to visit the place and get free accommodations. They are natural and born hospitable.

Filipino are lovable and smiling people. Love to entertain and play host. Discover Philippines and enjoy a memorable and wonderful experience.
pinkie
i love the phillipines.
it's so hot there tho'.
nigam
Some parts of Boracay beach has been destroyed due to typhoon Frank. I just hope it will regain back the beauty of the beach...
nesmiranda
If planning to visit the Philippines, try discovering education while enjoying the sun and beaches. Korean and Japanese are making good in their English while having fun on so many tourist spots in the country.
gcaughill
The plane tickets there are expensive for North Americans and Europeans, but the prices in the country are generally very cheap except in Manila. So if you go there, you should leave Manila and go to one of the smaller cities/beach resorts/towns. It will be a much more enjoyable experience for you.

The people there are very friendly, but then again I am biased since I will soon be marrying someone originally from the Philippines.
mrcool
Exactly! Filipinos are born to be hospitable people...try to visit Philippines, you will know how true it is...you will never waste your money...im pretty sure you will love to come back again once you stepped down from the plane and see our beautiful white sand beaches like Boracay!
pebbleworm
jwellsy wrote:
Can you describe where that beach is compared to Manila, Subic City, Olongapo or even the Muslim rebels?

Boracay is located somewhere in the center of the Philippine archipelago, far from Manila and Subic and people in Boracay doesn't even care about Muslim rebels, that part of the Philippines is soooooo far away.

But you don't wanna go to Boracay, it's too full of tourists and the water is full shit, real shit like e.coli. Check out Palawan instead. But it was there that some tourists were snatched by a local variety of the al qaeda network. The possibility of it occurring again si not probable but adds to the excitement. Smile

BTW, Filipinos were not born hospitable. Our history is too full of wars, war-like tribes, and head hunters for us to ever carry any hospitable genes. And don't forget the Muslim and Communist rebels. But we've been trained to be hospitable since the 1900's and it seems to be working well. Smile
nesmiranda
Manila is a crowded city but provide excitement and adventure for tourist. If you choose a good guide, chances are you will discover bargain shop and very good entertainment at down to earth price.

Discover now!
PhiGamm
i loved boracay. the sand was white the water, clear blue, you can get a massage on the beach they have a lot of different activities for you it was incredible. the only negative thing i can say was all the food was cooked in cocanut oil and i hate cocanuts Sad
ptfrances
I would like to visit Philippines. It has to be a wonderful country
Wink
mrcool
ptfrances wrote:
I would like to visit Philippines. It has to be a wonderful country
Wink

Indeed.It is...you should visit our very own country.You will be surprised with our pride which are beautiful tourists spots and white sand beaches here in the Philippines.
cete
It sounds great, but getting there is so expensive!
sketteksalfa
You never should miss Boracay when travelling to Philippines. You will see the Boracay sand that you have never seen from other beaches in the world. Boracay has a large stretch of white sand which is very cool even on a hot summer.
keane
You should also try going to Palawan. I've been there for vacation last week and it was worth the visit.
The Underground River is amazing! No wonder it's number one in the New 7 Wonders of Nature.

Also, an island tour in El Nido is refreshing. You get to visit different islands in El Nido and discover nature's hidden beauty. It was just wonderful. You'll be surprised because these islands have hidden beaches and lagoons! From afar you'll think that the island is just a stockpile of stones, but the real beauty of nature can be found "literally" inside.

There was also this really small white sand beach located in the middle of the sea. It's enough to fit about 10-15 people standing on that really small beach. Palawan is really worth the visit! It's the Philippine's last frontier, as they call it. Smile
paskifire
there's so many beaches around philippines. Boracay, Puerto Gallera, El Nido.. etc.. with the people's hospitality and warm welcome, you'll have no regrets. Very Happy
sciencegto
Is there any water transport from Sabah, Malaysia to Philippines?
Fataliteam
Yeah try visiting philippines not only boracay its not the only tourist spot in phil
nigam
i think there's no boat from malaysia to philippines....
paskifire
use the plane Laughing
hamza1122
I love their range of fruits there and you definitely sweat alot when you're there. Good for the skin? Laughing
CHARMZ7
I'm Filipino, and I am born and raised in America, with a handful of visits to my parents' homeland. I love it there, I have not been to Boracay yet, but I've been to Subic Bay, which is mediocre but still awesome being on vacation in a different country. I just love acculturation Smile
tingkagol
I hate everything about Manila, Subic, and some of the other overpopulated areas in Luzon.

Go to Boracay and you'll forget about ever having any memories of Subic Bay.
lucian0127
I really missed visiting boracay...
jigoku05
paskifire wrote:
there's so many beaches around philippines. Boracay, Puerto Gallera, El Nido.. etc.. with the people's hospitality and warm welcome, you'll have no regrets. Very Happy

I've never been to the philippines but I would love to go. Would you be my tour guide if ever?
tinajacobs
Explore the Philippines! If you have yet to see the Philippines, then embark now to what promises to be a trip to paradise! Feel the breeze of summer at white-sand beaches deemed as among the world's finest; be fascinated at the spectacular view of Baguio and Tagaytay; and take a dip in the refreshing waters of modern resort facilities.
nigam
summer is almost over here....we really had fun.....'til next time.....
jilbs
is this a boracay thread or Philippines thread? Very Happy
nigam
jilbs wrote:
is this a boracay thread or Philippines thread? Very Happy

its a Philippine thread jilbs....but you can't ignore those people who would love to mentioned boracay since it is truly a paradise but hey, not only boracay but its one of our tourist spots in the Philippines...there are lots of beautiful beaches where you can find here in Cebu. Bohol beaches is also beautiful like a paradise too...
macky
nigam wrote:

one of my favorite place to go to... the place that is so relaxing... Cool
deanhills
I'm thinking of going on a vacation to the Philippines, to explore places to settle in. If there are any people who follow this thread, and who are from the Philippines, which are the areas where expats usually invest in properties in the Philippines?
paolord
I'm filipino and from Bicol. I maybe a little biased here but the Bicol Region is a nice place to go to in the Philippines. It has CWC (Camarines Sur Water Sports Complex), Lake Buhi, Mayon Volcano, the whale sharks. There are also rebels present here but if you're in the cities, then you're relatively safe. There's also Embarcadero de Legazpi, a waterfront development in Legazpi City, which could be a good investment for developers.
Alerrandre
my cousin told me it is a nice place to go.

Good Luck !!!
tingkagol
deanhills wrote:
I'm thinking of going on a vacation to the Philippines, to explore places to settle in. If there are any people who follow this thread, and who are from the Philippines, which are the areas where expats usually invest in properties in the Philippines?

Really? You plan to settle in southeast asia?

I don't really follow the 'expat trail' but it actually depends on what you want. If you want white sand beaches, diving, and the whole island vibe, then there's lots to choose from- a huge majority of it I probably don't know about.

paolord wrote:
It has CWC (Camarines Sur Water Sports Complex)

I've heard good things about Camarines Sur- mostly about how amazing diving with whale sharks is. My brother had a vacation there earlier this year, and he says whale sharks are huge and incredibly intimidating the first time you see them in the deep waters.

Sorsogon is also a place where there are whale sharks- at least that's what I learned from Youtube.

This picture best describes his experience (taken from the net):
rogue_skydragon
I would definitely want to check out some of the beach-side cities of the Philippines. I am a Filipino-American guy, and the last time I went to the islands was almost 15 years ago. So going back sometime soon would definitely be a treat, as I assume much has changed in the country. The spectacular views at El Nido and Palawan would perhaps be my first destinations on the islands.
tingkagol
rogue_skydragon wrote:
I would definitely want to check out some of the beach-side cities of the Philippines. I am a Filipino-American guy, and the last time I went to the islands was almost 15 years ago. So going back sometime soon would definitely be a treat, as I assume much has changed in the country. The spectacular views at El Nido and Palawan would perhaps be my first destinations on the islands.

I haven't been to El Nido, but I've been to Coron- which is still in Palawan. You have to 'island-hop' there since there's not much to do when you're just in town. Majestic rock spires protruding from the crystal clear waters are abundant there. There's a part of the trip where everyone just fell silent, in awe of the cathedral of rock formations and the crystal clear water.... everything was just visually pleasing. We also found an uninhabited beach to have our lunch and lounge for bit as well. One of the best island-hopping experiences I've had.
rogue_skydragon
tingkagol wrote:

I haven't been to El Nido, but I've been to Coron- which is still in Palawan. You have to 'island-hop' there since there's not much to do when you're just in town. Majestic rock spires protruding from the crystal clear waters are abundant there. There's a part of the trip where everyone just fell silent, in awe of the cathedral of rock formations and the crystal clear water.... everything was just visually pleasing. We also found an uninhabited beach to have our lunch and lounge for bit as well. One of the best island-hopping experiences I've had.

That sounds amazing, tingkagol. I've never even heard of Coron, but I'll have to check it out. I'm really interested in having my own 'island-hopping' adventure and taking some cool pictures of the rock formations protruding from the water.
antibeat
Diver from the Phillippines here. Let me just say Coron, El Nido - the whole Palawan area is pretty awesome IF your a diver. For parties, Boracay is deff. one of the best places to be - Prefer Palawan though
tingkagol
antibeat wrote:
Diver from the Phillippines here. Let me just say Coron, El Nido - the whole Palawan area is pretty awesome IF your a diver. For parties, Boracay is deff. one of the best places to be - Prefer Palawan though

I wish I knew how to dive. Smile

But yeah, if all you want is partying by the white sand beaches, best go to Boracay. It's the best beach in the Philippines, definitely (and probably in all of Asia Smile ). Palawan (El Nido, Coron, etc) is more for folks who want a quiet vacation, diving, etc.

lol, now i'm itching for some Bob Marley.
helenacampo
great alternative place for boracay is Cebu City the Queen city of the south...I'm sure you will love it here..
mgeek
This is a picture of me in Boracay.

codersfriend
I love it in Tagaytay,,, ..
it's cool there and you'll get a beautiful view of the Taal Volcano, the Smallest Vocano

And don't miss the Puerto Princesa Underground river which was candidate for the New7Wonders of Nature Smile
rohan5039
yeah Philippines is a pretty and beautiful place with pretty people, Every one should take a tour for Philippine for once. People will remember that country forever.
vidafenomenal
Philippines travel is all about enjoying the unique Philippine environment and the warmth and friendliness of the Filipino people.

You can just as easily spend some time in the bustling metropolis of Manila or relaxing under a palm tree on some of the finest beaches in the world.

The Philippines boasts some wonderful marine life, countryside, city, shopping malls and tourist spots. The country is also rich in cultural heritage including the UNESCO heritage site Banaue Rice Terraces in Ifugao.

The three main areas of the country are; Luzon in the north, Visayas in the center, and Mindanao in the south. The capital is Manila, which is on the island of Luzon. The area around Manila is also called the National Capital Region consisting of several cities including Quezon City. Cebu City is the primary city in the Visayas, which was the landing place of the Spanish explorer Ferdinand Magellan. Davao is the main city in Mindanao.
mgeek
Coron, Palawan is also a nice spot. The following pictures were taken by a friend who was there recently.

mgeek
Batangas is also a nice place. Apart from Taal, there is also Munting Buhangin. Here are some pics

deanhills
The beach sand looks immaculately clean. Like paradise. Very Happy
menino
I heard of Borocay many times from some of my Philipino friends, and saw pics of it, but none like these. Its amazingly beautiful.
Someone I know is going there to get married and honeymoon in Borocay, but I doubt I will be able to go then; hopefully, I will make it there someday though.

I love beaches, especially when they are clean and colorful and lively (and not too dangerous). Laughing .... like in the movie "the beach".
mgeek
deanhills wrote:
The beach sand looks immaculately clean. Like paradise. Very Happy

The least known beaches are the cleanest. Smile When they become popular, the pollution of civilization also sets in.
codersfriend
mgeek wrote:
Coron, Palawan is also a nice spot. The following pictures were taken by a friend who was there recently.

Oohh mangroves Smile

What's nice in the Philippines is the Filipino Hospitality
deanhills
codersfriend wrote:
What's nice in the Philippines is the Filipino Hospitality
Not only in the Philippines - Philippinos are hospitable everywhere in the world. Very Happy
FastDebrid
mgeek wrote:

I love this shot. It's very nice. Smile
FastDebrid
I'd like to visit the Philippines sometime. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it esp. because I have Filipino friends. I can't wait for the time when we can forget about the worries, travel there and just have fun! Very Happy
tingkagol
Over the weekend we had a short excursion at a nearby island/beach. It wasn't until the trip was over that I realized I badly need a real vacation.

Quote:
I'd like to visit the Philippines sometime. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it esp. because I have Filipino friends. I can't wait for the time when we can forget about the worries, travel there and just have fun!

Just keep focused on the beach / islands and I guarantee you're going to be leaving the country with great memories.
FastDebrid
tingkagol wrote:
Over the weekend we had a short excursion at a nearby island/beach. It wasn't until the trip was over that I realized I badly need a real vacation.

Quote:
I'd like to visit the Philippines sometime. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it esp. because I have Filipino friends. I can't wait for the time when we can forget about the worries, travel there and just have fun!

Just keep focused on the beach / islands and I guarantee you're going to be leaving the country with great memories.

Thanks tingkagol! Very Happy
sayedfauzan
I've visited the Philippines for a month back in 2008. But most of my time was spend in downtown Manila. Kinda hate when I have to struggle to find places to watch Euro 2008 :p
But I love to go back Smile
johans
tingkagol wrote:
I hate everything about Manila, Subic, and some of the other overpopulated areas in Luzon.

Go to Boracay and you'll forget about ever having any memories of Subic Bay.

boracay is a nice place.. but i you will try Bohol very peaceful place compared to boracay.. so nature.. one of the best in Bohol is panglao island..food, accomodation, transportation is cheap.. chocolate hills, old church are amazing place to visit.
nickfyoung
nigam wrote:

I have a had a few trips to the Philippines. Seen a bit of Manila and Cebu and Davao down in Mindanao. My wife is from Davao and I prefer it there although maybe I am biased.
I like it for several reasons one of which is it is the only typhoon free area in the Philippines. It is sitting in the Davao Gulf with the highest mountain in the Philippines right behind it. This seems to deflect all the bad weather around it.
And speaking of the Davao Gulf, it is one of the best dive sites in the Philippines with lots of coral and coral canyons etc. There are also around 30 Japanese war ships sunken in the gulf from the last war. A diver's paradise.
If you are into bush walking you can climb Mt. Apo with a guide which is a three day trek. There are 1.5 million people in Davao so it has all the facilities that you will need as far as malls and world class hospitals.
It is also recognized as the safest city in the Philippines with one of the best police forces. For that reason it is a popular destination for expats to retire to and many have done already.
In Davao Gulf just a stone's throw offshore from the city is Samal Island. This the local home of white beaches and luxury resorts for vacations and is a popular destination for Filipinos and foreigners alike.
Recently attended a daughters wedding on Samal on the beach. The whole wedding party travelled there by boat from the city. Was a great day.
I am looking forward to getting back there soon.
busaboss
Philippines is a nice place. Very Happy
johans
nickfyoung wrote:
nigam wrote:

I have a had a few trips to the Philippines. Seen a bit of Manila and Cebu and Davao down in Mindanao. My wife is from Davao and I prefer it there although maybe I am biased.
I like it for several reasons one of which is it is the only typhoon free area in the Philippines. It is sitting in the Davao Gulf with the highest mountain in the Philippines right behind it. This seems to deflect all the bad weather around it.
And speaking of the Davao Gulf, it is one of the best dive sites in the Philippines with lots of coral and coral canyons etc. There are also around 30 Japanese war ships sunken in the gulf from the last war. A diver's paradise.
If you are into bush walking you can climb Mt. Apo with a guide which is a three day trek. There are 1.5 million people in Davao so it has all the facilities that you will need as far as malls and world class hospitals.
It is also recognized as the safest city in the Philippines with one of the best police forces. For that reason it is a popular destination for expats to retire to and many have done already.
In Davao Gulf just a stone's throw offshore from the city is Samal Island. This the local home of white beaches and luxury resorts for vacations and is a popular destination for Filipinos and foreigners alike.
Recently attended a daughters wedding on Samal on the beach. The whole wedding party travelled there by boat from the city. Was a great day.

I can remember Davao city in my old days.. I was working in davao as service Engineer, I agree with there private hospitals are good. Davao is a big place.. i am just wondering when i could go back to davao for short vacation.. Very Happy
mgeek
nickfyoung wrote:

Man, I'm from the Philippines but I haven't seen Davao yet!
nickfyoung
Davao gets a bad rap from a lot of Filipinos who have never been there because of the Muslim problems etc. That stuff is a long way from Davao city and the city is locked down and pretty secure.
Worth a trip one day, hop on the super ferry and check it out. Now has the lowest unemployment rate in the Philippines at around 5%. The city is really moving ahead.
nguyenvulong
Phillipin is supported by U.S. They're have a strategic geographic interior.
Phillipnese speaks English very well, I used to play chess with them sometimes, they're brilliant Smile
codersfriend
You should also check out the Mall of Asia in the Philippines.. the seaside is a nice place there
xvjuneau
And it's more fun in the Philippines.