FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

True Basic

snowboardalliance
Ok, I'm taking a basic class in High School and in class we will use true basic. Anyone who knows about True basic: If I download the trial at home, does it work the same except it will exit every 15 minutes? And after 15 minutes, I can just open it up again right? I'm hoping I'll have a use for the USB drive I got.
ironyCurtain
Why, oh why would anyone teach a class in BASIC anymore. There are a bazillion other languages that will better prepare you for programming in more commonly used languages. I'm thinking Python would be a great choice, as it enforces indentation, is object-oriented like so many other great languages (C++, Java, etc.), is simple (automated garbage collection) not to mention how easy it is to jump right into GUI development.

As far as your trial thing--that sounds pointless if it closes every 15 minutes. True BASIC... is that a certain brand of BASIC or what? Near as I can tell your class has more or less suckered you into either purchasing their software or putting up with some ridiculous crap.

It's not your fault... but I'm sorry.
snowboardalliance
nevermind, I found one that is free and works

Yeah, computer programming I at my school is basic, but the next class I can take after is C++ so w/e, I get a blow off class now.
ironyCurtain
That's good, I suppose. At least your school offers programming classes. My high school offered no computer classes whatsoever, besides a keyboarding class. It was ridiculous. I was on my own, which was fine with me because I tend to learn better than way anyways, but once I finally got to experience some real instruction at a community college my senior year (python and then C class) I realized how great they can be if you have a good teacher.

I'm distrustful of any sort of BASIC though... I started out using QuickBasic when I was about 10 and I think it has actually made it harder for me in learning languages later.

I'm studying a book on Java right now, preparing to enter the second Java programming course at University of Washington (skipped the first because of transfer credit). This could be interesting.

Just curious, how are you liking TrueBASIC's syntax and capabilities?
snowboardalliance
ironyCurtain wrote:
That's good, I suppose. At least your school offers programming classes. My high school offered no computer classes whatsoever, besides a keyboarding class. It was ridiculous. I was on my own, which was fine with me because I tend to learn better than way anyways, but once I finally got to experience some real instruction at a community college my senior year (python and then C class) I realized how great they can be if you have a good teacher.

I'm distrustful of any sort of BASIC though... I started out using QuickBasic when I was about 10 and I think it has actually made it harder for me in learning languages later.

I'm studying a book on Java right now, preparing to enter the second Java programming course at University of Washington (skipped the first because of transfer credit). This could be interesting.

Just curious, how are you liking TrueBASIC's syntax and capabilities?

True Basic pretty much sucks. I already knew it mostly because of TI-83+ basic (which I taught myself). But the syntax isn't that great. Like assigning variables is "LET variable = value" and it's pretty limited. I'm learning php on my own slowly though.