FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to determine if a topic should be closed?

mk12327
I was just wondering other than topics where the topic starter decides to close the topic, how do moderators determine when they should close and lock a particular topic? Because I noticed that there are many topics in Frihost forums that are already resolved but not closed. I understand that by not closing a topic, it allows other users to post additional info/question regarding something similar. However, there is a tendency for users to create a topic, get their solution and left the topic there as it is without asking for a closure.

My own personal interpretation would be to close topics that are very specific to a person's problems/question and leave general topics open. Another possibility would be to look at the "activeness" of a particular topic. I would love to hear from some moderators here since i'm not experience in moderating forums.
rvec
Some moderators like to close every topic that doesn't need extra posts (solved/answer given). I always like to think the users will let the topic go down by itself and only post new information if it is really helpful for other users with the same problem (new version of the software or other solution or new development) when they search on the forums (I like to think some users do Razz ).

So I only close topics if I know there is going to be spam or if I think no useful posts can be made ('how tall is the eiffel tower' needs only one answer not 10).

And ofcourse I close topics or delete (spamcan) topics that are against the rules or where the answer is in the FAQ/ToS/sticky/...
tidruG
Sometimes we close support threads because after they get resolved, other people still write replies, which are not required. Sometimes, the topic starter himself will let the mods know that his question has been answered and he'd like to close the thread. In some cases, we close the thread as requested.

Generally though, we don't really like closing topics. If a topic has outlived its purpose, it will automatically slide down the order and disappear.

The only other times we close threads are if they break the rules or spam, as Rvec said.