FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Vista

webpagist81884
I wouldn't be surprised to see vista get replaced by a new microsoft os. Takes too much resources even after doing a lot of tweaking.
csoftdev
yeah i agree. especially those so called access control thingy is really annoying.
it uses huge amount of resources
surdy
looking at amount of money Microsoft has put in for it and the amount of muscle its been using to promote vista. I don't think so microsoft is going to give up on it so soon . They'll try to make more people adopt vista. Anyways there new OS Windows 7 is still not even near completion right now.
FunDa
I got an email forward with what appears to be screenshots of Windows 7 ! Looks just like Vista - they don't show whether the access control thingie is less irritating in this version.

If the Access Control thingie really gets on your nerves (and on your processor power), just disble it from the control panel
Turn off User Access Control (UAC) Trust me, one click saves a billion headaches. Shocked
surdy
yeah the UAC can be easily disabled. thats what i did. But then i have to be careful about what i do on my system, i have to be very sure i don't take any steps harmful for it (anyways thats not a concern as i hardly use vista now)

and those screenshots ..i have seen them They are fake
b4r4t
On first Windows 7 was introducted as new system, with whole new architecture and new kernel ... but new articles about Windows 7 are dementing it Sad
Micro$oft guys sayd that Windows 7 will be only evolution from Vista ...
We will know that in 2010 ...

By the way - they replacing Vista verry fast ... I think that they know, that Vista just ... sux Smile
lastelement0
Vista i feel is the Next Generation ME. That thing was just plain awful. So many issues with it it's not even funny.

However I'm avoiding this mess all together since I have switched over to Ubuntu. I'm much happier and nowhere near as frustrated Smile
cvkien
since the demand is high, it is reasonable that MS keep creating or i can say upgrading the system every time until they come out with new idea of creating a new os. Windows vista is a starting os for future version of os. like windows 95 that come with windows 98, and then windows 2000 an.d ME then replace with windows xp, and now windows vista like before replace by windows 7 after 2 or 3 years just like what had happened before
weableandbob
in my opinion, vista is horrible. It has a lot of known compatibility issues with programs I use, and there are uncountable other errors.
surdy
weableandbob wrote:
in my opinion, vista is horrible. It has a lot of known compatibility issues with programs I use, and there are uncountable other errors.

haha true true very true [Razz] .. i still hate my Laptop provider for not giving me an option of XP or no OS
arieo
thanks god i still keep my XP install on my laptop then..:d:d:d
hahahaha
Fatality
It seems like all I hear is things that are wrong with Vista. I am yet to use it and I'm probably going to keep it that way. I like some of the features I've seen in vista, but not worth the hassle and resources it hogs.
marsupilami
arieo wrote:
thanks god i still keep my XP install on my laptop then..:d:d:d
hahahaha

I find myself caught in the Vista trap. Quite apart from the pain of having to reinstall XP, I do like Vista.

It's slick, it's fast, it is very user-friendly. I like its applications - for example, Windows Picture Gallery, which could become a serious competitor to my favourite image browser, Faststone.

However, there are still plenty of wrinkles. The Windows "sidebar" may look nicer than Google desktop, but it crashes regularly and infuriates me because its "gadgets" can not be customised.

I know that my system has all the raw resources needed to run the Aero desktop easily under heavy multitasking... after running the Advisor utility, I'm a good deal less confident that Vista will handle my hardware. I was also warned that some of my software might not be compatible. There was nothing on the list that would concern me personally or interfere with my forthcoming reviews, but I was quite surprised to find Windows Messenger included.

I've had two Vista crashes so far - not a blue but a black screen - and that really shouldn't happen. I can't even remember my last XP crash.
smvh321
like windows vista.... but xp is better
MarzEz
vista is a total failure.
if you try to run any xp games, chances are they won't be compatible.
it asks you to confirm twice if you rename a folder.
and it hogs at least 512 mb of ram.
quite simply put: if you want a good OS for gaming, get XP.
however, all these new games only run with vista, so you need to go find a good emulator with none of the resource hogging crap.
however, Mac OS X did the same thing.
it won't run any "classic" programs, (after 10.3) it hogs resources too, and the people at apple decided to see if they could get multi-user working.
multi-user fails on OS X.
so vista isn't alone in the lack of compatibility and hogging of resources.
long story short: Vista sucks.
OS X sucks.
XP... passes.
so does mac os 9.2 though.
Personally, my favorite OS is Windows XP, with 98 a close second.
Ubuntu 8.04 is my third favourite, but i HATE vista and Mac OS X. which is quite ironic, because i am typing this on an OS X system.
snowynight
Micro$oft....
You know they are like a new car company, when they make a new car they will demand you to buy a new high way....
So Gates is rich. Anyway he's doing his bits for the charity.... But do we have any alternate choice?
MarzEz
Ubuntu.
Bengt
If they want to build a proper operating system. They should start from the ground and build it, and not making an evolution of vista.
cafefrog
Before switching to vista i did my homework and made sure that my software was compatible. There was a nifty website for that.

Overall I like it. Takes some times to figure it out, but other wise pretty good. No really issues.

I do hate that UAC though......
nkhot
i hate vista, i like xp!
MarzEz
i imagine there will be quite an uproar when M$ cuts XP support in 2010.
on the other hand, Automatic updates and service packs just hog bandwidth and mess up yur system files every 5 seconds.
only problem will be help and support, but i've never needed it. (not because windows never crashes, Quite the contrary, in fact. i started building my own computers years ago.)
jon_k
about a year ago i had bought a pc using vista i was vary mad at microsoft with the OS it was so bad having to dl new plugins for everything i went back to xp when i built my pc i hope vista does get replaced with something as reliable as XP
FunDa
MarzEz wrote:
i imagine there will be quite an uproar when M$ cuts XP support in 2010.
on the other hand, Automatic updates and service packs just hog bandwidth and mess up yur system files every 5 seconds.
only problem will be help and support, but i've never needed it. (not because windows never crashes, Quite the contrary, in fact. i started building my own computers years ago.)

Is Microsoft cutting XP support only in 2010. I thought they were going to do it this year. I saw an article where the folly of MS in destroying their only successful OS was made clear.

"Several Operating Systems have vied for the position that XP enjoyed, but none have made a dent in the large following that it has. Windows XP will die at the hands of a misguided killer none other than its mother Microsoft "
Helios
I actually like Vista. I heard the bad reviews, but still installed it. I have a pretty powerful PC, and Vista doesn't take much resources compared to what my hardware offers, and I enjoy the DX10 effects in games. Plus all the visual effects of the system are neat. Apart from that, I find some features quite useful - like the search feature and many others.
Actually, I think I like vista more than XP!
I say, if you have a fast PC, go with Vista.

Anyway, we shall see what MS has to offer as an upgrade, or evolution, of vista in the future.
norbert1
when XP was not working that good people would embrace Vista, like many did when Windows98 showed a lot of instability and lack of features.
Vista is not popular because for many there is no need to have another XP with some new colours and pay a lot of money again.
I think another fenomena is the coming of cheap, small and noisefree computers, which are perfect for internet and most applications and work well on Linux. Bying Vista for those cheap machines is not a good option not only because it is relative expensive, but mostly because it kills speed.
angelrateast
I dont think Vista is a total failure. I think its not what i could have been. It's abvious alot of people don't want to leave XP. I've had my problems as well with vista. One thing is the memory it takes wow. never enough. Also highly recommend middle to high end graffix card. To the XP people... Will you use XP forever? Windows 7 comes out in 2009- 10. I hear it runs mostly same graphics engina as vista. Also if you want to upgrade to 7 Vista need to be installed.
FunDa
A modded XP is much better than Vista.
Just install a good theme manager, a Launcher like Rocket Dock, maybe throw in a 3d desktop and it works very very well.

That is, it is not worth shelling out cash for buying Vista when a Windows XP with free software can look the same and work much better.

Just an opinion, feel free to differ.
adamsmith
Ive had vista(ultimate) now for around a month and i seen to have no problem with it yehh theres loads of popups which annoy you but there can be turned off