FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OpenSolaris Live CD Review

Studio Madcrow
I just got my OpenSolaris Live CD and I must say that I'm impressed. For a supposedly server OS, Solaris certainly seems to deliver a powerful and attractive user experience. The default theme is just lovely (it kind of looks like a more elegant take on Vista) and the hardware support is quite good: it found and set up all my computer´s hardware including sound, my Nvidia 3D card (which it supports with full 3D support out of the box) and even detected and set up my wireless card...

Of course, nothing´s perfect: the network can be a bit slow, the USB key detection doesn´t QUITE work yet (it find the keys when I insert them, but wont mount them) and I really miss the availablity of multiple virtual full-screen consoles from Linux, but overall, itś a nice showing and quite fast (for a live CD) making OpenSolaris a good choice for a ¨take it with you ¨Unix environment¨
sheedatali
Aren't they using Gnome as the default desktop? Good to hear that Solaris has 3D support out of the box. To be honest since the driver is Open Source it is not really hard to port it over, just depends on how lazy the developers are for a specific platform.
mehulved
sheedatali wrote:
Aren't they using Gnome as the default desktop?

Yes GNOME is the default Desktop Environment

I did try the live cd. Unfortunately, it doesn't have drivers for me either network cards. I did find a driver for one of them though, but when I proceeded to install it on my system, it didn't work out.
They have recommended leaving 10 GB of space for OpenSolaris, I rather gave it 20GB but still midway through the installation, somewhere around 35%, I get no space left on device error Sad
Studio Madcrow
sheedatali wrote:
Aren't they using Gnome as the default desktop? Good to hear that Solaris has 3D support out of the box. To be honest since the driver is Open Source it is not really hard to port it over, just depends on how lazy the developers are for a specific platform.

Yes they use Gnome, but they have a Custom skin for it that looks very nice. The Nvidia 3D drivers AREN'T open source, btw. That means that Sun actually somehow managed to convince Nvidiia to port their proprietary driver...
sheedatali
Studio Madcrow wrote:
The Nvidia 3D drivers AREN'T open source, btw. That means that Sun actually somehow managed to convince Nvidiia to port their proprietary driver...

Is it? I was always under the impression that NVIDIA had release the source code but did not published it under GNU licence. What a shame as Nvidia make money from hardware not by selling the software, they should really release drivers to FOSS as this will make life so easy for millions of people who use their hardware on _Nix platforms.
surdy
Ohh it looks nice.
i somehow missed this news, just saw it here and googled it.
I'll surely have a look at it Very Happy
thanks
Flarkis
Wow...im currently on linux right now but i have never really tried solaris before...might give it a try now. And from all the reviews i have heard everyone said hardware support was horrible.
Studio Madcrow
Flarkis wrote:
Wow...im currently on linux right now but i have never really tried solaris before...might give it a try now. And from all the reviews i have heard everyone said hardware support was horrible.

It struck me as pretty similar, but a little rougher in a few places and a little smoother in a few... It should be interesting to see if Sun can get into the Desktop game or if their attempts will fail and they will be doomed to be a server OS forever...
teko
Personally I hope they can, I work with it everyday but have always used linux on the desktop. The open-solaris distribution is just too big! I played around with it when it first came out but maybe its time to give it another chance or at least see how the OpenSolaris distributions such as nexenta etc are getting along
cod3rbro
I'm trying to get opensolaris by delivery, thank for this info Smile
teko
good luck with it!