FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Coding ~ Poetry ?





yushaayush
Well.. i think coding can be compared to nothing but poetry... its so simple yet so complicated !! so beautiful yet so nice!! lolz.z.. Cool Razz Very Happy
Keran
I've never thought about coding like this, but I've got to say, that sometimes the code I write is as hard to understand as poetry. So yeah, maybe at some level, coding can be compared to poetry, because it somehow makes our ideas come true via a program we create... I wonder what other people will say about this.
SpellcasterDX
I never thought of that. That's very clever, and definitely very true. Everyone codes their own way, they each have their own way of doing things/programming/writing up scripts. It shows their skill and indiviuality. So, yes, I agree coding is like poetry. Except with a lot of "{}," "()," and "//." lol.
nilsmo
Let's see.. poetry is a "a form of art in which language is used for its aesthetic and evocative qualities." Well, when I program, I do use a language, but I don't code something for aesthetic qualities, but to make it work. Most programmers just do that, and also try to make their code reasonably legible, but don't code "artistically."
carlospro7
interesting point of view. I don't really think of programmers as artists, most probably don't have artistic abilities (I'm a programmer, but maybe I'm speaking for myself), but code compared to poetry--i can see what you mean.
Liu
I work as a software developer for a living - I wouldn't necessarily compare it to poetry, however I do think it's like an art. Most have put it as a science/art of problem solving.
mOrpheuS
"Code is Poetry" - isn't that what the slogan says in the page footer at http://wordpress.org ?

(isn't it ironic that wordpress is often criticized for being a rather poorly written and bloated piece of code ?)
yushaayush
mOrpheuS wrote:
"Code is Poetry" - isn't that what the slogan says in the page footer at http://wordpress.org ?

(isn't it ironic that wordpress is often criticized for being a rather poorly written and bloated piece of code ?)


well i never said the quote is my original !! Shocked Shocked did i??Surprised Surprised
its just a topic of discussion!! Confused Confused
saratdear
mOrpheuS wrote:
"Code is Poetry" - isn't that what the slogan says in the page footer at http://wordpress.org ?

(isn't it ironic that wordpress is often criticized for being a rather poorly written and bloated piece of code ?)

Um...where is Wordpress criticized to be a poorly written and bloated piece of code? I use it, and I hardly find any problems. Confused I guess it depends on each one's opinion.

Anyway, comparing code with poetry depends on each one's viewpoint, too. It could be like poetry when it is written for pleasure, like a hobby, rather than for job, for example. And I suppose you could just as well create a piece of code by mugging up how it is done, but you couldn't do the same thing with poetry.

Just my 2 cents. Smile
James007
yushaayush wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:
"Code is Poetry" - isn't that what the slogan says in the page footer at http://wordpress.org ?

(isn't it ironic that wordpress is often criticized for being a rather poorly written and bloated piece of code ?)


well i never said the quote is my original !! Shocked Shocked did i??Surprised Surprised
its just a topic of discussion!! Confused Confused

Easy tiger, he was just mentioning it.

By the way, I think you could and should have mentioned the fact that "Code is poetry" is a Wordpress quote. That's the way these forums work, we value the fact you mention external sources.

And not all code is poetry, my code is a rock song.
yushaayush
James007 wrote:
yushaayush wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:
"Code is Poetry" - isn't that what the slogan says in the page footer at http://wordpress.org ?

(isn't it ironic that wordpress is often criticized for being a rather poorly written and bloated piece of code ?)


well i never said the quote is my original !! Shocked Shocked did i??Surprised Surprised
its just a topic of discussion!! Confused Confused

Easy tiger, he was just mentioning it.

By the way, I think you could and should have mentioned the fact that "Code is poetry" is a Wordpress quote. That's the way these forums work, we value the fact you mention external sources.

And not all code is poetry, my code is a rock song.


yeah.. i should have.. if i knew only..
it was like.. me and my friend were talking.. Smile .. so he just mentioned about it.. so i wrote here... now i asked him and he is telling me now that he took it from there!! Razz Cool Cool..
Rock song?? lolz.. mines just the 7syllables... ha ha...
Nameless
Hmm ... no, not really. The most important things about code are logic and syntax. The most important things about poetry are imagery and emotion.

Speaking as somebody who has both coded and written poetry, they're nothing like each other.
SamiTheBerber
I think that nice code can be art. Poetry also can be art. So code can be poetry Confused

I personally think, that well-written code is very nice Smile
MrBlueSky
I agree with Nameless. Also, with poetry, you start with some ideas or inspiration and you don't know where you end. With coding you know where you want to end: a working program which does what you want it to do.

Here is a Perl-poem:

Code:

#!/usr/bin/perl

APPEAL:

listen (please, please);

    open yourself, wide;
   join (you, me),
    connect (us,together),

tell me.

do something if distressed;

   @dawn, dance;
   @evening, sing;
   read (books,$poems,stories) until peaceful;
   study if able;

   write me if-you-please;

sort your feelings, reset goals, seek (friends, family, anyone);

       do*not*die (like this)
       if sin abounds;

keys (hidden), open (locks, doors), tell secrets;
    do not, I-beg-you, close them, yet.

            accept (yourself, changes),
            bind (grief, despair);

    require truth, goodness if-you-will, each moment;

select (always), length(of-days)

# listen (a perl poem)
# Sharon Hopkins
# rev. June 19, 1995


Unfortunaly, it will only parse in Perl 5 after commenting out this line:

Code:

    do not, I-beg-you, close them, yet.


Another one:

Code:

sleep, close together,
sort of sin each spring & wait;
50% die
SamiTheBerber
Nice perl poem Smile
yushaayush
MrBlueSky wrote:
I agree with Nameless. Also, with poetry, you start with some ideas or inspiration and you don't know where you end. With coding you know where you want to end: a working program which does what you want it to do.

Here is a Perl-poem:

Code:

#!/usr/bin/perl

APPEAL:

listen (please, please);

    open yourself, wide;
   join (you, me),
    connect (us,together),

tell me.

do something if distressed;

   @dawn, dance;
   @evening, sing;
   read (books,$poems,stories) until peaceful;
   study if able;

   write me if-you-please;

sort your feelings, reset goals, seek (friends, family, anyone);

       do*not*die (like this)
       if sin abounds;

keys (hidden), open (locks, doors), tell secrets;
    do not, I-beg-you, close them, yet.

            accept (yourself, changes),
            bind (grief, despair);

    require truth, goodness if-you-will, each moment;

select (always), length(of-days)

# listen (a perl poem)
# Sharon Hopkins
# rev. June 19, 1995


Unfortunaly, it will only parse in Perl 5 after commenting out this line:

Code:

    do not, I-beg-you, close them, yet.


Another one:

Code:

sleep, close together,
sort of sin each spring & wait;
50% die



man where did u get this!!!! did u write it?? awesome!!!! Shocked Very Happy
MrBlueSky
yushaayush wrote:
man where did u get this!!!! did u write it?? awesome!!!! Shocked Very Happy


No, I certainly did not write it Very Happy The first one is from Sharon Hopkins and has been published in the Economist and the Guardian. The second is anonymous. They are both in "Programming Perl"
yushaayush
MrBlueSky wrote:
yushaayush wrote:
man where did u get this!!!! did u write it?? awesome!!!! Shocked Very Happy


No, I certainly did not write it Very Happy The first one is from Sharon Hopkins and has been published in the Economist and the Guardian. The second is anonymous. They are both in "Programming Perl"


talking about perl...i dunno perl..i wanna know.. is it prevalent now?? still useful? do people still use it??
what is the main use of it?
mOrpheuS
yushaayush wrote:
well i never said the quote is my original !! Shocked Shocked did i??Surprised Surprised
its just a topic of discussion!! Confused Confused

Why the defensive stance ? No one was attacking you ... Neutral

saratdear wrote:
Um...where is Wordpress criticized to be a poorly written and bloated piece of code? I use it, and I hardly find any problems. I guess it depends on each one's opinion.

http://www.google.com/search?q=wordpress+%22cpu+usage%22
http://www.google.com/search?q=wordpress+%22dig+effect%22

A fresh wordpress installation, no plugins enabled/installed, uses more than 9 MB of PHP memory for generating the index page. That's bloated, in my opinion.
(For comparison - SMF uses about 3 MB)

The "news" that you see in the wordpress admin dashboard (updated via RSS) is stored in the "options" table ! Combine that with the fact that the whole "options" table is loaded into memory everytime a page is generated - any page at all !
That's poor design, in my opinion.
(The options table can run into megabytes over time - about 95% of it being filled by the dashboard news items)

If you're running Wordpress without a good caching plugin, and getting a significant amount of traffic - you're putting a lot of load on your server. Wink
Zuex
Lool, to a certain extent, coding is like poetry. Whereby we express through the result we recieve from our web browsers Laughing
saratdear
mOrpheuS wrote:
saratdear wrote:
Um...where is Wordpress criticized to be a poorly written and bloated piece of code? I use it, and I hardly find any problems. I guess it depends on each one's opinion.

http://www.google.com/search?q=wordpress+%22cpu+usage%22
http://www.google.com/search?q=wordpress+%22dig+effect%22

A fresh wordpress installation, no plugins enabled/installed, uses more than 9 MB of PHP memory for generating the index page. That's bloated, in my opinion.
(For comparison - SMF uses about 3 MB)

The "news" that you see in the wordpress admin dashboard (updated via RSS) is stored in the "options" table ! Combine that with the fact that the whole "options" table is loaded into memory everytime a page is generated - any page at all !
That's poor design, in my opinion.
(The options table can run into megabytes over time - about 95% of it being filled by the dashboard news items)

If you're running Wordpress without a good caching plugin, and getting a significant amount of traffic - you're putting a lot of load on your server. Wink


MBs of PHP memory as in the bandwidth or something else?

It is just a bit technical for me to figure out...Embarassed

BTW, your Avatar looks cute. Smile
mOrpheuS
saratdear wrote:
MBs of PHP memory as in the bandwidth or something else?

It is just a bit technical for me to figure out...Embarassed

MB of PHP memory as in the amount of RAM that the php process occupies on the server when generating the page.


saratdear wrote:
BTW, your Avatar looks cute. Smile

Calvin is cool ... not just cute Wink
Vladalf
Like coders, writers can say something in many different ways but coders allways know what they will do, writers on the other hand allways derive from the subject and say other ideas.
-Vladalf
eday2010
yushaayush wrote:
Well.. i think coding can be compared to nothing but poetry... its so simple yet so complicated !! so beautiful yet so nice!! lolz.z.. Cool Razz Very Happy


You really need to get out more and get away from the computer. That is one of the lamest and dorkiest things I have ever heard. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
yushaayush
eday2010 wrote:
yushaayush wrote:
Well.. i think coding can be compared to nothing but poetry... its so simple yet so complicated !! so beautiful yet so nice!! lolz.z.. Cool Razz Very Happy


You really need to get out more and get away from the computer. That is one of the lamest and dorkiest things I have ever heard. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


well man.. iam not the one to quote it!! wordpress did!! Razz Razz
MrBlueSky
eday2010 wrote:

You really need to get out more and get away from the computer. That is one of the lamest and dorkiest things I have ever heard. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


Why? If it wasn't for these 'dorks' sitting behind their computer, writing all these programs, you wouldn't have sites to post on. Razz
tidruG
Being a bit of a poet, I'd say that the most satisfaction from writing a poem comes from sitting back after you're done and admiring your poem. I guess the same applies to code sometimes. When you manage to make a piece of code do something exactly as you pictured it, and you go through it to make sure that you haven't overlooked anything, it gives you the same satisfaction. Also, when I was trying to learn PHP, I'd go through certain example programs which were really well-written. They'd just make me go - "Oh wow, that's fantastic. He's covered everything."

And finally, poetry is something you do with a passion and fall in love with. If you can do that with your code, that brings code even closer to poetry.

PS: I have 2 (or 3?) installations of Wordpress, but the memory and resources load it places on the server is really high. I'm now experimenting with other blogs/CMS. So far, TextPattern and Drupal seem like a good choice.
Nameless
SamiTheBerber wrote:
I think that nice code can be art. Poetry also can be art. So code can be poetry Confused


This is false logic. Two things can be subsets of one set without the two things being identical. (A square is a shape. A circle is a shape. But a square can not be a circle). Furthermore, I dispute your case that nice code can be art. Unless you are using a very broad definition of art (in which case your entire argument is meaningless anyway) there is little crossover between what is desirable between them (code: Efficiency, ease of understanding and chance. Art: beauty, but anything else is largely subjective - code, notso). [/Logic - the basis of code]

The only truth is
Not all things are subjective
But poetry laughs
[/Poetry]

If we're going to say poetry is 'like' code, then we can safely say that water is 'like' a hardcover book because bother are enjoyable when you're thirsty and bored. [/Overly adamant about this point.]

[/Also, bored.]
Feroc1ty
I believe that coding is very far from poetry. Coding is so defined, it has to be exact. Although poetry goes with whatever flow you want it to go, there are no rules, no syntax.
GoldWyvern
Code in itself isn't poetry, but the way you write it is, as stated previously.

Like, myself, I always put things on separate lines and throw as many comments in there as possible. I line up every letter and always keep my blocks totally organized. Reading MY code is ascetically pleasing.

Of course, I only do that cause I have a horrible time remembering what I did the day before..
yushaayush
Well,personally even i don't think they both have much similar points. Code cant be understand by all. Only people who have a computer knowledge can understand it. Also, no one reads codes as they do poems.
erlendhg
Like many of you already have mentioned... Smile
It is indeed a beautiful way of thinking program coding.
I "work" as an amateur coder with my brother. His amateur skills got him a job at the Norwegian Tandberg famous for its radios (in the good ol' days) and now the world´s most advanced live internet communication systems.
eday2010
MrBlueSky wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

You really need to get out more and get away from the computer. That is one of the lamest and dorkiest things I have ever heard. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


Why? If it wasn't for these 'dorks' sitting behind their computer, writing all these programs, you wouldn't have sites to post on. Razz


Who cares? It's just a site. It's not important. I only post because I have a site hosted. If I didn't, I wouldn't post. No loss to me. There are plenty of real things to do that posting on some forum wouldn't be missed Smile
tidruG
FerocIty wrote:
Although poetry goes with whatever flow you want it to go, there are no rules, no syntax.
That's not true. Do a search on closed form poetry. There are some forms of poetry that not only define your rhyming sequence, but also the number of syllables in each line, like the iambic pentameter for example.
Nameless
eday2010 wrote:
Who cares? It's just a site. It's not important. I only post because I have a site hosted.


At the irony
I find myself L O L
The world laughs with you
eday2010
Nameless wrote:
eday2010 wrote:
Who cares? It's just a site. It's not important. I only post because I have a site hosted.


At the irony
I find myself L O L
The world laughs with you


Don't quit your day job (if you have one), or studies, unless it's a liberal arts major. That will be of no use to anyone ever.
MrBlueSky
eday2010 wrote:


Who cares? It's just a site. It's not important. I only post because I have a site hosted. If I didn't, I wouldn't post. No loss to me.


You mean the internet runs on air, and isn't running on software created by dorks, who likes to program?

Quote:

There are plenty of real things to do that posting on some forum wouldn't be missed Smile


That is true. But somehow I think that if the internet collapsed, because all dorks go play outside and run after pretty ladies, you would not be happy. If the internet wasn't important to you, you propably wouldn't feel the need to add an extra website to it.

Wink
chsxc
Idk, i wouldn't exactly say coding is simple. I think it can be like poetry in regards to all of a programs functions working in harmony to complete a task.
eday2010
MrBlueSky wrote:

That is true. But somehow I think that if the internet collapsed, because all dorks go play outside and run after pretty ladies, you would not be happy. If the internet wasn't important to you, you propably wouldn't feel the need to add an extra website to it.

Wink


I wouldn't be terribly upset. I'd miss some things about it, but overall, I wouldn't be terribly concerned. Not liek some people whose lives revolve around the internet and exist almost exclusively online. These losers and nerds would cry, whine, and some would kill themselves.

While I find the Internet annoying, I also work as a web devloper. Ironic, yes, but I got into it before the internet started to annoy me. And even if the internet collapses, governments and companies will still have internal networks. I add a website to the internet to use it as a place to practice trying new things and as a way to display what I can and can't do.

Actually, I don't find the internet annoying; it's the World Wide Web I find annoying. And it's not even that so much. It's the people who use it. Everyone wants everything right the F*** now, they act like idiots, saying stupid things they would never dare say in real life (cowards), and put way too much importance on websites like Facebook and MySpace when none of that matters one bit in the grand scheme of things.

If it wasn't for the losers who live their lives online, posting about stupid whiney crap, or nerdy useless nonsense (SonicRetro), and stupid kids (and adults) acting like callous uncaring a**holes towards everyone else, the internet and WWW would be fine.
sondosia
I think they're similar because with both, there are many different ways to write the poem or code, but the goal is to write it as elegantly as possible.
BugBear
Personally I don't think that way or do I think I could. Coding gets it's point across and has a result. Poetry is written by the author for his readers to find a meaning to it (or at least american poetry is imo). Very Happy
Nameless
eday2010 wrote:
Don't quit your day job (if you have one), or studies, unless it's a liberal arts major. That will be of no use to anyone ever.


See? ANOTHER difference between coding and poetry! Now we're getting somewhere. Laughing
tidruG
eday2010, the simple solution to your answer is to stay away from the things that annoy you, like social networking websites. No need to get worked up about it at all.

BugBear, I'm a member of this website where a lot of writers get together and showcase their writing and we critique each others' work. And honestly, I haven't seen any difference between poems based on nationalities. Poetry is highly subjective and depends on the poet irrespective of his nationality.
Utopia GFR
I can understand the comparison even though I believe that the level of abstraction is far more intense when you consider writing poetry.

When you code, you must/should think about producing a "coherent whole" and the application of it on a specific computing purpose.

Whereas in poetry, you can express your deepest thoughts in countless ways without bothering about text structure.

If your coding fails to work, your boss/company/friends/yourself could blame it on you whereas in poetry, apart from being understood by your readers, you normally don't have a 0-defect aim to pursue (unless you decide to enter poetry contests like I did in the past).

Nevertheless, poetry could be compared to coding because behind those seemingly easy lines to write, it sure is a complicated art to deal with especially if you give yourself into it 100%.

Speaking of poetry, you might check up the most popular online poetry community :
http://www.poetry.com (you can find some of my work under Ray Laurens).

Cya Smile

yushaayush wrote:
Well.. i think coding can be compared to nothing but poetry... its so simple yet so complicated !! so beautiful yet so nice!! lolz.z.. Cool Razz Very Happy
yushaayush
Utopia GFR wrote:

If your coding fails to work, your boss/company/friends/yourself could blame it on you whereas in poetry, apart from being understood by your readers, you normally don't have a 0-defect aim to pursue (unless you decide to enter poetry contests like I did in the past).




Also there are no big fat books available in shops to teach poetry. It comes from within.
Whereas we have to read these stupid books to {starters} learn how to code. But thereafter it also comes from within.
Zombie
some people write great code, they organize it well and it is simple yet effective. Others end up with a jumbled mess. The same goes for poetry.
Utopia GFR
Couldn't agree more.

I found this interesting website though :
http://learn-poetry.com/index.php

Still, I'd prefer writing things the way I feel with no "guidelines" whatsoever.

yushaayush wrote:
Utopia GFR wrote:

If your coding fails to work, your boss/company/friends/yourself could blame it on you whereas in poetry, apart from being understood by your readers, you normally don't have a 0-defect aim to pursue (unless you decide to enter poetry contests like I did in the past).


Also there are no big fat books available in shops to teach poetry. It comes from within.
Whereas we have to read these stupid books to {starters} learn how to code. But thereafter it also comes from within.
aswapathy
Poetry? I've never seen programming as poetry, but I do see it as art. I think it defines its own heading. I remember the spaghetti code of the Fortran days, the structuring that began with C, and the I love the power of Python and Php. A well structured piece of code is truly a work of art.
Nameless
Art is the most awful and subjective term ever that ANYTHING can be called for ANY reason and you can't argue against it. Let's avoid that kind of comparison, please. Laughing

Zombie wrote:
some people write great code, they organize it well and it is simple yet effective. Others end up with a jumbled mess. The same goes for poetry.


And some people cook good stir fries that are simple, yet effective, while others end up with a jumbled mess. So they must be pretty similiar too.

[/Now going by my alter ego as the Persevering Protector of Poetry Person. Alliteration, and away!]
tempdbs
Utopia GFR wrote:

I found this interesting website though :
http://learn-poetry.com/index.php


It's still under going thru....! Looks still in creeping mode...
Thumpercats
lol, I really don't think coding is the equivalent to poetry. I do belive however everone can take pride in their own unique coding schemes!
kotterlyn
It makes me extremely nostalgic for Metal Gear Solid Two: Sons of Liberty.
If anyone remembers on the tanker when you were taking the pictures, then all the coding on the green screen.
Yeah. My life story, right there.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.