FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Are people turning into wimps?





Afaceinthematrix
I seriously think that people are turning into the biggest freakin' wimps ever. For instance, I would never buy bottled water. Something about buying water to drink has always befuddled me. Plus, those bottles are bad for the environment. I buy a bottled water about once a year. And I use that bottle for a year. Once it's finished, I find a drinking fountain and I refill it. Plastic is durable and those bottles last about a year before they start leaking. I was telling this to someone who goes through about 2 or 3 bottles a day (which I see as a terrible waste) and she thought that drinking "tap" water was disgusting. To make it worse, everyone around was agreeing with her. So I started to look around at people, and I saw that everybody is drinking bottled water. So I brought up camping. I've spent a huge portion of my life backpacking in the wilderness (especially in places like Canada, where there are huge forests with many lakes and no people) and that I drink water right out of the lake. They also thought that was disgusting.

The next incident was about showers. The average American showers for about 15 minutes a day. I find that to be extremely wasteful. Why would you need to shower every single day, considering the average American gets little to no exercise? If you're sitting around on your lazy butt, I'm sure that a shower every other day wouldn't hurt you. Besides, why do you need more than 2 minutes in the shower? How long does it take to put soap on your body? Most people found that disgusting.

So it led me to thinking about something. Are Americans simply extremely wasteful or are people simply evolving into wimps? For the vast majority of human history, we have not had bottled water and daily 15 minute showers. As technology advances, are we simply getting wimpier to the point that we can't fathom drinking "tap water" (which by the way, tap water in America is extremely clean) or not taking a 15 minute shower every day? Which do you think? Are people getting wimpier, more wasteful, or both? I'd go with both.
ocalhoun
You shouldn't drink bottled water at all, and you especially shouldn't drink out of refilled bottles. Buy a glass lined bottle, or at least one that is made of high-quality plastic! The low quality plastic of those bottles degrades over time and releases toxic chemicals into the water, especially in old bottles or when exposed to sunlight. Many of the cheaper brands are filled with tap water anyway.

I also have drank out of streams and lakes, in fact the best tasting water I ever tasted came from a mountain river; it had so much minerals and stuff in it that it tasted a little sweet. In my grandma's cabin in North Carolina we drank, bathed, and flushed the toilet with fresh mountain spring water, which poured from a spring higher up the mountain down to a reservoir then to the cabin.

People certainly are wimps these days, as evidenced by the person here who recently said walking 10 miles was a very long way. They should try running it, then walking wouldn't seem hard at all! It does disgust me occasionally when I see blatant evidence of it. Wimpier and more wasteful? Certainly both, at least in America. Even I was wimpy, and basic training pointed that out to me very clearly, while fixing it.
Afaceinthematrix
Really? I shouldn't drink out of bottles? What if I bought one of those high-quality water bottles that you usually attach to bikes? And I'd also agree about some of the best water coming from mountains. As someone who's spent months of his life in places where people hardly ever go, I can tell you that the water out of huge lakes in rivers taste much better than any bottled water. And yeah, ten miles isn't a lot to walk. I'll admit that I'd have difficulty in running the entire thing, but walking would be no problem. It shouldn't take more than 3 hours or so.
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Really? I shouldn't drink out of bottles? What if I bought one of those high-quality water bottles that you usually attach to bikes?


It is probably made of high quality plastic, so it will emit fewer toxic chemicals, but it is best to get one that is glass or metal lined. They emit a little bit of chemicals too (more so the metal than the glass), but those are not toxic.
Afaceinthematrix
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll look into that. I'll try to find something better.
GoldWyvern
I find bottled water to be extraordinarily useful at work, as then I have a choice. I could either replace my fluids, refilling the bottle at the water tap, or fill it with a variety of 'for bottled water' mixtures that are premeasured. In essence, I have several drinks in one - and trust me, I need them.

I don't recycle cause the bottle invariably ends up under a load or someone's tire, it's difficult to keep it in one place in a shipping yard.

As for showering, it takes me at LEAST 20 minutes to get all the grime off per day. Or would you rather I get the bed dirty?
mathiaus
You started off with a small rant which was ok, but then you just went off the rails.


I'll comment on the bottle situation.

Bottled water comes in a small handy sized bottle, with a convenient sports cap (of which there are several designs, so long as you don't have to unscrew the lid). People like these and can't buy them on their own. Bottled water also typically claims to be better than tap water. It is filtered through rock and contains tons of different minerals etc etc. Two reasons people buy them.
I personally buy bottled water, though like many (I hope), I do reuse them. The problem with this is (not that they leak), reusing the sports cap or in fact the bottle for a long time, is unhealthy. By this I mean simply rinsing them both is pointless due to build up of germs, general dirt etc. They do need to be replaced fairly often, say every week or maybe two (NOT every year!). Also read ocalhounds point above!
There are of course places where bottled water is a necessity. Places where the natural water is generally crap. I'm not just talking about third world counties either. You said American tap water is very clean. It may be where you are, but like everywhere, it will vary wildly all over the country. Not everyone will have 'good' water.

Does drinking bottled water make someone a wimp? I don't think so. In the majority of cases, it will be a convenience thing and they could cope without. I think the people you have spoken to are a rich as anyone without loads of money drinks tap water often. Speak to more common people and you'll see a more normal picture.



Showers... Whether you do work all day or not, you're likely to sweat at some point in the day, especially the larger you are. Bathing is important for simple hygiene. In the general world, people expect those around them to not smell. Therefore its important to help be healthy and to not have people staying away from you.
There are again many who will need to wash at least once every day. I for example am a hayfever sufferer. I wash before bed so I don't get pollen from hair on my pillow and then spend the night breathing it in and waking up to sneeze. People with OCD as well. Are you going to tell them off for wasting water?
15 minutes really isn't that long. I assume you take 5 or less if you complain at that.

I would say that people in general are wasteful, though I don't think your shower scenario is at all, a good example of this.
andy26
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I seriously think that people are turning into the biggest freakin' wimps ever. For instance, I would never buy bottled water. Something about buying water to drink has always befuddled me. Plus, those bottles are bad for the environment. I buy a bottled water about once a year. And I use that bottle for a year. Once it's finished, I find a drinking fountain and I refill it. Plastic is durable and those bottles last about a year before they start leaking. I was telling this to someone who goes through about 2 or 3 bottles a day (which I see as a terrible waste) and she thought that drinking "tap" water was disgusting. To make it worse, everyone around was agreeing with her. So I started to look around at people, and I saw that everybody is drinking bottled water. So I brought up camping. I've spent a huge portion of my life backpacking in the wilderness (especially in places like Canada, where there are huge forests with many lakes and no people) and that I drink water right out of the lake. They also thought that was disgusting.

The next incident was about showers. The average American showers for about 15 minutes a day. I find that to be extremely wasteful. Why would you need to shower every single day, considering the average American gets little to no exercise? If you're sitting around on your lazy butt, I'm sure that a shower every other day wouldn't hurt you. Besides, why do you need more than 2 minutes in the shower? How long does it take to put soap on your body? Most people found that disgusting.

So it led me to thinking about something. Are Americans simply extremely wasteful or are people simply evolving into wimps? For the vast majority of human history, we have not had bottled water and daily 15 minute showers. As technology advances, are we simply getting wimpier to the point that we can't fathom drinking "tap water" (which by the way, tap water in America is extremely clean) or not taking a 15 minute shower every day? Which do you think? Are people getting wimpier, more wasteful, or both? I'd go with both.


I think people are turning to wimps, and i would say america is one of the most wastefull countries in the world! and i dont buy bottled water unless i dont have a drink on me, i always reuse my bottles for at least a month but then no matter how much i clean it the water in the bottle tastes very odd and is undrinkable unless your really thirsty, i havent had the luck to drink straight from a clean stream but i have tasted water in british country sides which comes from a local resivouir and tastes much more lighter compared to the heavily chemicaly treated water you find in towns.
AftershockVibe
I can see your point with the bottled water and I agree with you but I really don't see where you're coming from with the shower rant.

Water just goes around in a big cycle through your pipes to the treatment plant, filtered then back again and (except in rare cases) you're not depriving anyone else of it. I'd rather have clean people than smelly people. God help the people who insist on washing their 4 cars every weekend Wink
Liu
You know, for some reason I imagine you to be one of those people I pass by on the street, or used to sit next to in class that just smelled of bad BO.

I drink bottled water because I don't like lead and any other sort of chemicals or material that may end up in there due to deteriorating pipes.

I shower twice a day because I have an active lifestyle where I run at least 3 miles a day.

While you may call me a wimp, I'd like to call you a smelly unkempt hippie.
ocalhoun
^Why not filter the water, then put it in a metal or glass lined bottle? Then you don't have lead or plastic in your water.

I think we're being a little too specific here; its not bottled water or taking showers that is a big deal. There are other ways in which people are wimpy. Not wanting to go out in the rain, even when it is just sprinkling, being afraid of lightning, being afraid to fly, or a dozen other phobias, expecting others to take care of their problems (lack of self-sufficiency), physical weakness, refusal to punish children in any way, being very picky about food, et cetera...
Afaceinthematrix
AftershockVibe wrote:

Water just goes around in a big cycle through your pipes to the treatment plant, filtered then back again


That requires a lot of energy.

Liu wrote:
You know, for some reason I imagine you to be one of those people I pass by on the street, or used to sit next to in class that just smelled of bad BO.



No, absolutely not. I bathe. But like I said, I don't see the point to taking a shower if I stayed inside all day watching every football game on television. If I go outside and sweat, or if I didn't shower the previous day, then yes, I will shower. But I don't spend 15 minutes in the shower. I take a quick 2-3 minute shower where I apply soap and shampoo and hurry and rinse it. I put on deodorant and cologne everyday, regardless if I go outside. I stay clean, but you don't have to spend 15-20 minutes in the shower everyday.

ocalhoun wrote:
^Why not filter the water, then put it in a metal or glass lined bottle? Then you don't have lead or plastic in your water.

I think we're being a little too specific here; its not bottled water or taking showers that is a big deal. There are other ways in which people are wimpy. Not wanting to go out in the rain, even when it is just sprinkling, being afraid of lightning, being afraid to fly, or a dozen other phobias, expecting others to take care of their problems (lack of self-sufficiency), physical weakness, refusal to punish children in any way, being very picky about food, et cetera...


I definitely agree right there. Many of those are good examples, especially about being picky about food. I've always been grateful that I can eat, and so I've never even fathomed not liking something. Sometimes I won't like something but I can eat it 2-3 times and train myself to like it. Another one is willpower. Especially in America where weight loss is the new big thing and Oprah dedicates half her shows to it. Why can't people eat healthier and go out running?
mOrpheuS
Toxins released by Plastic used in water bottles ? - http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_dioxins2.html and http://www.plasticsinfo.org/s_plasticsinfo/sec_level3_collapsed.asp?CID=657&DID=2594

Apparently, the constitution of plastics used for contact with food/water is well regulated, and I could find no reliable source reporting toxins present in/released by such plastics.


I'm not sure but I'd assume that tap water in most developed countries is potable - comparable to the bottled water.

Same cannot be said of the place I live. I have to get bottled water for drinking (the kind that you put on dispensers).
But at 25 litres each, and the fact that they are reused, these bottles are not really bad for the environment.

Small bottles (0.5-1 litres) are not only bad for the environment, they are expensive as well. Wink
fx-trading-education
About shower I don't think that one shower per day is too much even if maybe for the average american a standard day is bed - car- sitting at work - car - sitting in front of TV - bed.
I think that taking a shower a day is a good habit but 15 minutes seems quite long.
In my opinion 5 minutes looks long enoguh because most of the people shouldn't be so dirty.
GoldWyvern
I personally use a thin-walled type that is '100% biodegradable'. A nice step, but it can only be reused a few times before it collapses. But yeah, no toxins are released in this type either.
friuser
I don't get how these 3 points make a person a wimp. Plastic water bottles are just convenient for most people. Not everyone wants a steel or alumnium reusuable bottle to put water in as they aren't exactly light. I suppose people can use polycarbonate water bottles but they probably aren't recyclable. It's kinda like you are arguing for not using disposable items like diapers.

So you can shower for what 2 minutes from what you wrote? that makes you macho compared to everyone else?

Wasteful? so what? the economy is a disposable economy. Just look at what you need to buy and how they are packaged. Posting about water bottles and showers to prove wimpiness doesn't make sense.
Yantaal
i notice we are focussing on bottled water, and just water in general, but in the largehr scale of things, people seem to be terrifiedof germs.

When i was little i used to eat mud just to prove a point, sticks just because i could. Once I even ate a sandwhich that was stuck the bottom of my shoe just because i was dared to, not because i thought i was cool, but people act like they will die if a bit of dirt gets on their food. I dont make regular practise of these things, but parents are so worried about their children these days they dont get a chance to build an imune system, i know one woman who sterilises her kitchen scissors, washing them isnt enough, she full on sterilises them. I think people do worry to much.

But what can you do?

and as for water, i will drink from more or less any tap, and i do buy bottled water if am thirsty and need a container. otherwise i woudlnt waste money on water
PatTheGreat42
Maybe wimps are turning into people?
standready
mathiaus wrote:
Bottled water also typically claims to be better than tap water. It is filtered through rock and contains tons of different minerals etc etc.

Several of the bottled water companies are using city water "refiltered" not from springs as their labels make you think. They have acknowledged this.
I avoid buying water for several reasons. Water cost more than gas (fuel). The toxins released from the plastic and seeing all those bottles everywhere instead of being recycled as they should be.
I have a filter system for my tap water then as pointed out already, I have a glass lined bottle to fill.

As for shower, I may be in there for 15 minutes, but water does not run continally.
eday2010
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I seriously think that people are turning into the biggest freakin' wimps ever. For instance, I would never buy bottled water. Something about buying water to drink has always befuddled me. Plus, those bottles are bad for the environment.


The bottles aren't bad for the environment if they get recycled. Then you can argue how bad the actual recycling process is for the environment. But as long as your idiot friends don't throw the bottles into the trash or on the street and recycle them, they are bad for the enrvironment themselves.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I was telling this to someone who goes through about 2 or 3 bottles a day (which I see as a terrible waste) and she thought that drinking "tap" water was disgusting. To make it worse, everyone around was agreeing with her. So I started to look around at people, and I saw that everybody is drinking bottled water.


Do your idiot friends know that a lot of the bottled water is nothing more than "tap" water from a different municipality? Perhaps they should start actually reading the labels on stuff they eat and drink.
deanhills
I think we need to establish what the definition of a wimp is. Is a wimp someone who showers every day and drinks water out of plastic bottles? A tough person is someone who does not shower every day and drinks water out of a tap?

By that definition I have to be labelled a wimp. I drink several bottles of water a day and love anything to do with water, including a regular daily bath, shower, swim. I like the feeling of soap and water and feeling clean after a bath with fresh clean clothes. It is also nice to be surrounded by similar minded people who smell nice and fresh. So who cares, if I need to be called a wimp for enjoying water on a regular basis, so be it.

There has been a lot of press about different grades of plastic bottles and that the plastic bottles for water have been designed to last only once. From an environmentally friendly point of view possibly this is not such a good design and wasteful. For me it is convenient to buy bottles of water, and to carry them with me. Hopefully some one will come up with a different more environmentally friendly design of a container for carrying water. Maybe a solution for the plastic bottles could be special filtering equipment for tap water, and specially designed bottles that are light to carry, are environmentally friendly and can be cleaned and re-used easily.
eday2010
They already have filters for tap water. Brita makes a ton of them. But I think some of these wimps think it doesn't look "cool" if you are not drinking water out of a cheap plastic bottle you bought at a convenient store or newstand.
Vladalf
I haven't bought bottles for a long time because I have glass bottles and refill them. And about the showers, I don't shower so much but what's the problem? the water dosen't dissapear after you shower. It goes back in the nature. Only our money dissapears. Razz
-Vladalf
ocalhoun
Yantaal wrote:
i notice we are focussing on bottled water, and just water in general, but in the largehr scale of things, people seem to be terrifiedof germs.

Another good point on how people are turning into wimps.

"Safety first" may be a good way to approach dangerous activities, but it is not a good way to live your entire life!
[FuN]goku
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

The next incident was about showers. The average American showers for about 15 minutes a day. I find that to be extremely wasteful. Why would you need to shower every single day, considering the average American gets little to no exercise? If you're sitting around on your lazy butt, I'm sure that a shower every other day wouldn't hurt you. Besides, why do you need more than 2 minutes in the shower? How long does it take to put soap on your body? Most people found that disgusting.

So it led me to thinking about something. Are Americans simply extremely wasteful or are people simply evolving into wimps? For the vast majority of human history, we have not had bottled water and daily 15 minute showers. As technology advances, are we simply getting wimpier to the point that we can't fathom drinking "tap water" (which by the way, tap water in America is extremely clean) or not taking a 15 minute shower every day? Which do you think? Are people getting wimpier, more wasteful, or both? I'd go with both.


First off, i'm not American Razz , Second, i sweat alot every day, so if i dont have a shower every day then, its disgusting, and third, i have long hair so it takes me longer to wash my hair, put conditioner in it, and then i gotta slap on some body wash. Usually takes 10 minutes tops.

As for the bottled water, i do agree with you in some way, i used to have 2 bottles i'd just fill up every day. Well, i used to keep one with a bit of water in the freezer, so it would keep the water cold when i filled it up, so i'd have one in the freezer, and one with me at schooll, and then i'd just refill it while at school, but when i reached jr. high, i stopped, because the school water was unfit for consumption, i forget what was in it, but meh.
Zuex
Liu wrote:
You know, for some reason I imagine you to be one of those people I pass by on the street, or used to sit next to in class that just smelled of bad BO.

I drink bottled water because I don't like lead and any other sort of chemicals or material that may end up in there due to deteriorating pipes.

I shower twice a day because I have an active lifestyle where I run at least 3 miles a day.

While you may call me a wimp, I'd like to call you a smelly unkempt hippie.


Firstly LOL.
Secondly my views are the same as yours.
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
I think we need to establish what the definition of a wimp is. Is a wimp someone who showers every day and drinks water out of plastic bottles? A tough person is someone who does not shower every day and drinks water out of a tap?


No, you completely missed my point. I said that I called these people a wimp because the found it disgusting that I drink that "tap water." You aren't a wimp if you drink bottled water, although I might call you wasteful, but that doesn't necessarily make you a wimp. Showering every day also doesn't necessarily make you a wimp. My point is, is that I said that if I stay inside all day and never go out, or never even get dressed because I'm watching 10 football games that day on the tv, then I won't shower because there's no reason to. I'll shower if I go out. My point was that people that find that completely disgusting because they freak out when a dust particle gets on them are wimps.
SpellcasterDX
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I think we need to establish what the definition of a wimp is. Is a wimp someone who showers every day and drinks water out of plastic bottles? A tough person is someone who does not shower every day and drinks water out of a tap?


No, you completely missed my point. I said that I called these people a wimp because the found it disgusting that I drink that "tap water." You aren't a wimp if you drink bottled water, although I might call you wasteful, but that doesn't necessarily make you a wimp. Showering every day also doesn't necessarily make you a wimp. My point is, is that I said that if I stay inside all day and never go out, or never even get dressed because I'm watching 10 football games that day on the tv, then I won't shower because there's no reason to. I'll shower if I go out. My point was that people that find that completely disgusting because they freak out when a dust particle gets on them are wimps.

Why do you stereotype about that? You keep saying that. Not everybody stays home and watches football games all day. Most people have something called a job, and they go to it at least 5 times a week. (Approximately) Besides...showering is mere hygiene...whether you exercise/get out of the house or not.

Now, if you don't do anything all day, then well, yea, your showers can be quicker/less wasteful. I agree with you there.
webpagist81884
Yea americans do waste plenty. Drinking bottled water should only be used in hiking, while playing sports, or any other outdoor activity. Drinking bottled water at home is just asking for environmentalist to bash on you.
Afaceinthematrix
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I think we need to establish what the definition of a wimp is. Is a wimp someone who showers every day and drinks water out of plastic bottles? A tough person is someone who does not shower every day and drinks water out of a tap?


No, you completely missed my point. I said that I called these people a wimp because the found it disgusting that I drink that "tap water." You aren't a wimp if you drink bottled water, although I might call you wasteful, but that doesn't necessarily make you a wimp. Showering every day also doesn't necessarily make you a wimp. My point is, is that I said that if I stay inside all day and never go out, or never even get dressed because I'm watching 10 football games that day on the tv, then I won't shower because there's no reason to. I'll shower if I go out. My point was that people that find that completely disgusting because they freak out when a dust particle gets on them are wimps.

Why do you stereotype about that? You keep saying that. Not everybody stays home and watches football games all day. Most people have something called a job, and they go to it at least 5 times a week. (Approximately) Besides...showering is mere hygiene...whether you exercise/get out of the house or not.

Now, if you don't do anything all day, then well, yea, your showers can be quicker/less wasteful. I agree with you there.


I realize that most people have a job. I have a job, and I go to school. That's why I said, "if I stay inside all day..."

Many people don't work every single day...
themit
People aren't turning into wimps. They're just taking advantage of technology that has been provided, and, because showers, bottled water, the ability to sit around all day etc. is available, why wouldn't anyone take advantage of it? Any environmental damage will most likely not affect people around 40-50 years old now... the real global warming sets in later- so they couldn't care less. People's attitudes need to change- isn't it a proven fact that people who expose themselves to bacteria (eg. drinking from lakes) are less likely to have illnesses due to their immune system? People I know who are petrified by germs are sick every month. A better state of life could be achieved through better understanding.
fratellis
i agree...but by taking advantage of technology the obesity rate in america is going up...people would rather go to mcdonalds and buy a double cheeseburger than take a little time and make it themselves.
deanhills
Quote:
No, you completely missed my point. I said that I called these people a wimp because the found it disgusting that I drink that "tap water." You aren't a wimp if you drink bottled water, although I might call you wasteful, but that doesn't necessarily make you a wimp. Showering every day also doesn't necessarily make you a wimp. My point is, is that I said that if I stay inside all day and never go out, or never even get dressed because I'm watching 10 football games that day on the tv, then I won't shower because there's no reason to. I'll shower if I go out. My point was that people that find that completely disgusting because they freak out when a dust particle gets on them are wimps.


I looked up the definition of wimp and most of the definitions say that a wimp is someone weak, ineffectual, indecisive, insipid person.

There may be a set of good reasons why people have come to the conclusion that tap water can be disgusting. There are quite a number of people of that conviction. I am open minded about it, however if someone feels strongly about drinking tap water being disgusting that person is simply expressing criticism of what you are doing because of the conclusions that person had come to. The label of wimp does not fit here.
Futile
I agree with deanhills before you use a word try looking it up. I am one of those “wasteful” Americans that you so referenced in your opening thread. Yes I drink bottled water on occasion and I take showers everyday whether 2 minutes or 15, either way I am paying for both whether financially, spiritually or morally. I was in the Marine Corps for over 15 years and saw combat in Desert Strom the first time, Somalia, Burundi and Rwanda. I have eaten dirt on every continent in the world except Antarctica. I also have gone weeks without taking a shower and had to drink stuff you could not begin to fathom. I have had more than my share of 2 minute showers. If I choose to just stand there and let the water run off of me for 15 minutes then that is my prerogative. I may be a lot of things but a wimp is not one and you are more than welcome to step up to the plate and prove otherwise.
Do you stink? The answer to that question is no, according to you and it is possible to be very hygienic and not shower every day. So what is the problem? As someone already stated about 90% of bottled water is tap water anyway. Tell those idiots to read the label on the bottle that they are drinking from.
The Encarta Dictionary defines the word wimp as an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody regarded as weak, timid, unassertive or ineffectual.
My definition of a wimp, you, because you didn’t tell those individuals to kiss your clean 2 minute showering a@# and move on.
gcaughill
Hello,

Interesting topic. Seems to have gotten some passions stirred up. Since wimp usually means "an insult re: weak, ineffectual, indecisive person" I can see why some people might get a bit angry if you describe an activity and then label the people who do it as wimps.

To move the conversation in a more fruitful place, I think no one has more to say about this subject then the great British writer C.S. Lewis.

Read his book "The Abolition of Men", particularly the part about 'men without chests.'

It is very insightful and an absolute joy to read like all his stuff.
ashish2005
As technology advances, people are certainly getting wimpier Very Happy but since the technology of my country is backward and is about atleast 10 years old we are less wimpier than those countries which have prospered in the world.

I rarely buy and drink bottled water. I only drink bottled water only if I need a bottle. I do not shower everyday (there is a lack of water in the place i live). So that proves I am no wimp Very Happy?
KronikSindrome
eehhh - maybe not the world, but the majority of people in the US are
SPOILED! And turned 'soft'. We got our tv dinners and bottled water.

People struggle to make money but not to truly SURVIVE. Trying to
survive tends to make one over look the little things. You're not worried
about where the water comes from when you're THIRSTY you're just
happy to have it. You don't care if your food has dirt in it if you're STARVING.
and that's just the basics.

As for being 'soft', I think that whole "How are you FEELING?", "We must
protect childrens feelings from being hurt", "we all have to be NICE mmmkay?",
stuff made a lot of people wimpy. Yeah, there's a lot of bad stuff in this world
but without experiencing some bad you can't learn to find or create any good.

Anyway...I'm going to go hang out at StarBucks with my laptop
and have politicaly correct conversations with some well showered people. Rolling Eyes Wink

side note....remmember coffee flavored coffee? that stuff was great.
Crinoid
Let try to figure out why they are doing that, and what the options are. Not contradicting or objecting, just working around the problem.

1. Did you try to drink from the lake that edges the 10 million people metropolis, just in one point, with many many more lesser cities around and on the other side of lake? Laughing
Even swimming is dangerous for a health. Unfortunately, most people are living in these conditions. With no choice to move in more healthy surroundings and being able to make a living.

2. Municipal water is treated with quite an amounts of fluoride, anti-rust chemicals, pH is elevated, chlorine, chloramine, goes through copper (!) and chlorinated polyvinyl chloride pipes. While it is good for annual reports, longevity of water supply system, makes it cheaper and even kills the germs, somehow I don't think that all of this makes it good for the health of people, who have to drink it.

I had no problem on another continent, but here I had to start using the carbonated bottled water (not so easy to find, by the way, at tolerable prices), just to being able to regulate digestion. Tried as long as I could use tap water and not carbonated water in bottles - this one was even worse, completely intolerable, different brands.

Contributing factor: did you notice, that meat, milk and many other things in supermarket, are not fouling without freezing for an unnatural amount of time? Why?

Again, while it makes the transportation and storage cheaper (without freezers), less energy consumption, allows prolong meat availability independent from "harvesting" season, easier to cut for consumer market and even mark it "fresh" (the 6 months old meat), I again don't think, that it is equally good for a consumer health. Most of us don't have a choice to use the preservatives free food.

I know one, who become vegan (strict vegetarian), tried hard myself, but thousands of years my ancestors were using another kind of food, and no amount of self-persuasion helps me be able to digest this food without side effects.

Amalgam teeth fillings: same permanent contribution to the health.
City air, we are breathing, contribution to the health changes. Chemicals, including workplace and household - all this is changing us, with years passing.

Summary about bottled water:
It's good to have a different genetics and live in a clean place. Or just to be quite young, when all of the above hasn't accumulated in sufficient quantities yet. I'm beyond this point.

Showers:
I believe, that because of this additives to the food and water, the people are requiring daily washing, especially in hot heather, after heavy work or acute distress. Popularizing of the fast ways of showering and interruptible by choice water faucets could help.

Media promoted images, including advertisement, are promoting consumption too. It is become a norm to go through the public places with drink in a hand, eating while talking to another, not eating, person. Ahhh... All of this makes me sad.

By the way, most of people are not sitting all day long - just take a look around and think about service industry or manufacturing. It's quite curious to take a look at the real life of the most of people Rolling Eyes
tony
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I seriously think that people are turning into the biggest freakin' wimps ever. For instance, I would never buy bottled water. Something about buying water to drink has always befuddled me. Plus, those bottles are bad for the environment. I buy a bottled water about once a year. And I use that bottle for a year. Once it's finished, I find a drinking fountain and I refill it. Plastic is durable and those bottles last about a year before they start leaking. I was telling this to someone who goes through about 2 or 3 bottles a day (which I see as a terrible waste) and she thought that drinking "tap" water was disgusting. To make it worse, everyone around was agreeing with her. So I started to look around at people, and I saw that everybody is drinking bottled water. So I brought up camping. I've spent a huge portion of my life backpacking in the wilderness (especially in places like Canada, where there are huge forests with many lakes and no people) and that I drink water right out of the lake. They also thought that was disgusting.

The next incident was about showers. The average American showers for about 15 minutes a day. I find that to be extremely wasteful. Why would you need to shower every single day, considering the average American gets little to no exercise? If you're sitting around on your lazy butt, I'm sure that a shower every other day wouldn't hurt you. Besides, why do you need more than 2 minutes in the shower? How long does it take to put soap on your body? Most people found that disgusting.

So it led me to thinking about something. Are Americans simply extremely wasteful or are people simply evolving into wimps? For the vast majority of human history, we have not had bottled water and daily 15 minute showers. As technology advances, are we simply getting wimpier to the point that we can't fathom drinking "tap water" (which by the way, tap water in America is extremely clean) or not taking a 15 minute shower every day? Which do you think? Are people getting wimpier, more wasteful, or both? I'd go with both.


Haha; well I like bottled water. I don't go out and buy it but I typically prefer the taste to tap. What's more, supposedly, it is better for you. And so that is how I feel about it.

I believe everyone is entitled to their own ideas. Just how I feel Smile
PatTheGreat42
Hey buddy! I'm gonna come over there and, and, uh...

say something mean. You poop!
raine dragon
I drink bottled water while at school. I have to. The water in my appartment in Vermont has bacteria and ammonia in it that makes me ill.

Why not buy a filtration system you ask? Because the only sort that would actually remove that stuff costs $2,000, and I don't have that kind of money. I put the bottles in the recycling, and I fill bottles with tap water at work which is from a different water source to try to cut down on how many I have to use, but in the end, I'm a bit limited by my resources. ^^;
Thumpercats
As man evolves, they will become wimpier and lazier. There are people who don't even leave their homes anymore! I've seen some people who have a lawnmower that automatically moes their lawns!

I worked at a sprinkler company where we installed sprinkler systems. People would pay three thousad dollars so they dont have to water their waterbed!

It is just crazy!
medesignz
the wimps will rule the world
Related topics
Too much spam
Spam warnings...
flash
Spider-man 2
Now You Can See Ur Home
The Death of lol
Jessica Simpson's new video
5 of them
islam is...
The Greatest Game Series Known To Mankind
Urban Legends About the Iraq War
my site
books turning into movies- popularity
Many freeware turning into aggresive shit installers
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.