FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reward wiki contributors based on the amount of contribution

leontius
I am planning to create a wiki, but I want to reward the contributors by displaying their names in wiki pages. The best way to order the names is obviously by the amount of contributions they gave ("points" from now on), but calculating the points is surprisingly hard. Just see some approaches I have thought about for a while:

* just list all users that have added/changed some content in the page: users would hunt for typos or add some words to get points!
* count the number of edits users have done: users would abuse by breaking large edits to smaller ones (and indirectly penalizing users not doing that). This applies to an extension of mediawiki (I forgot the name).
* count the diff made by users (lines/sentences/words they have added, changed, or removed): solves the above issue, but users would abuse by copying content somewhere, deleting it, and adding it again.
* count the diff, and remember deleted content so when they add it up again they won't get any points: solves the above issue, but what should we do if someone moved content to other pages? Should we store the deletions per content or per user?

If we store the deletions per content, we are pretty much powerless over moving content: users will get point in the original page (for deleting) and in the new page (for adding content). Storing the deletion per user seems to be nice... That leaves the last question, how do we determine the points for pages that have content moved from other pages?

I'm beginning to think that this is very complicated. Is there anybody who knows other, better (simpler, more elegant) approaches?