FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are domains available after you stop paying for them?

loyal
Peace.

I bought a domain for my site a year ago from godaddy. I didn't pay for another year, and now my domain's been unactivated for a set period (60 days or something) and during this time, if i want to buy it again, i'll be charged 80$ extra because they need to "reactivate" it.

The thing is, if i leave my domain until after this period, and then try to buy it, will it be available to me or will it turn into one of those numerous sites that are just search engines powered by domain registrars?

(If you're going to ask why i didn't pay for the domain when i had the chance, it's because i paid someone to use their credit card, due to the fact that i don't have one, to renew it for me, and they stole my money...grrr...ah well).

So, do you think i'll be able to buy the domain again?

Thanks.
LukeakaDanish
Those search engine sites aren't run by the registrars - they are run by bulk registrants (who register any domain name that seems interesting).

The problem is that your domain probably will seem interesting to them - as your visitors might check back - and thereby help the bulk registrants. I'm quite certain you will be able to register it yourself - but you'll have to be FAST - register it as soon as its available.

$80 is an insane amount of money in this business. Don't pay that.
Bondings
If you are lucky enough, it will become available again after a while. If not, it will become a parked domain with ads hoping for visitors to come and click on them or someone to buy the domain.
loyal
Sorry about the slow reply. I've had exams.

akadanish wrote:
Those search engine sites aren't run by the registrars - they are run by bulk registrants (who register any domain name that seems interesting).

Oh. But expired domains turned into one of those search engines.

Quote:

The problem is that your domain probably will seem interesting to them - as your visitors might check back - and thereby help the bulk registrants. I'm quite certain you will be able to register it yourself - but you'll have to be FAST - register it as soon as its available.

$80 is an insane amount of money in this business. Don't pay that.

Of course not.

bondings wrote:
If you are lucky enough, it will become available again after a while. If not, it will become a parked domain with ads hoping for visitors to come and click on them or someone to buy the domain.

Yeah hopefully, i'll be able to buy it quickly when it comes available.
Faraz
Well, if your domain/website was popular, then it might not be available soon. I got one of my domains expire in 2004, and now they keep renewing it every year. =/
loyal
Faraz wrote:
Well, if your domain/website was popular, then it might not be available soon. I got one of my domains expire in 2004, and now they keep renewing it every year. =/

I think it's pretty stupid. I don't understand why a domain registrar would register all the popular domains. Surely, popular domains would get MORE hits with real content on them (not rubbish search engines).

hmmm...

Peace.
zhaoying
it is not available for 3 moths after it expires.
So you have 3 moths to pay for it ,
kitsrock
if your domain was pretty popular with lots of visitors, i would highly recommend paying the reactivation fee. there are people going around looking for good expiring domains, and if your domain is really worth it, they will use a third party that will snatch the domain for them. sadly, you can't compete with those third parties and their massive resources, and certain registrars offer them first dibs on such domains.

i know it really sucks, but it's better than paying $200 to get your domain back from those people.
dude_xyx
your domain will avaliable to register again after 90 days since the expire date. But Godaddy usually put it into a auction first. If no one buys then they release it to public. So if you domain name is not a valuable one you might be lucky to get it back. You can use the domain backorder system of them but still you get it only if no one buy it at auction.
loyal
Peace.

Here's what's happened. I contacted godaddy and asked about what happens to expired domains. I must have mentioned that i wanted my domain cancelling because my domain was quickly cancelled ahead of its date. Now it's in redemption period, where godaddy hope i'll pay their 80 dollar reactivation fee. I'd rather not..I'd rather just wait thirty days for the status to change to pending delete, then wait five days for it to become available again. I'll buy it for a non-outrageous price lol.

This time i'll be using namecheap to register my desired domain name. I did a bit of investigating and all registrars have bad stories about them. But namecheap seems to have the least, and it's cheap! Free whois protection for a year!

Thanks all for your advice. I should have my domain in my possession again in about a month. I'll try to remember to report back then.

Thanks!