FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Art & Music programs in schools

criticaldensity
Some time ago, schools began to cut art and music programs because of lacking budgets.

Please donate to help keep these programs around.
These are VITAL and should not be so easily dismissed.

mhopus.org

HT Foundation
wistom
well ,i see the site, but i so sorry.
gonzo
Athletics for the FEW should be cut before arts for the MANY are cut. Such should be preeminently obvious to MOST. Sadly this is not the case.

Confused
thadnation
i beg to differ. arts can be explored on ones own whereas sports often require a team. also where I come from, sports benefit way more kids than music programs. that's not to say they're not important, but musical education is an accessory.
Melacos
If we're sticking to the idea that schools are letting go of arts/music, the problem with this is just as big as it would've been if sports had been the victim. This in terms of availability at least. I'm not saying that the two phenomena are of the same qualitative kind, and that they contribute to the same stimulants in terms of fx better childrens learning in other fields. Rather it's more simple, and as Thadnation mentions, it is about availability. Where I don't agree though, is in the point that sports demands a team, whereas music does not. Music without a 'team', is like playing ball against a wall.
Donutey
gonzo wrote:
Athletics for the FEW should be cut before arts for the MANY are cut. Such should be preeminently obvious to MOST. Sadly this is not the case.

Confused

I agree. The problem (at least at the high school level) is that there are many "required" electives so that many students don't have the opportunity to take art/music classes.
DoctorBeaver
I posted here recently about the lack of music education in UK schools. I think it is such a shame that kids are being deprived of the opportunity to try playing an instrument without having to go to the expense of buying 1. For many the cost is prohibitive & there is no guarantee that they would have a talent for that particular instrument; but they may have for something different. Being able to try many different instruments at little or no cost opens up many possibilities.

There are many orchestral instruments that kids have probably never even heard of but that, given the opportunity to try, they would like the sound of, enjoy playing, and continue studying.

I believe that sport in general is still fairly well supported in our schools but, like most other school activities, could always do with more money for facilities. Whether athletics rather than football is supported at schools, I am not sure.

Of course, the question of facilities is an important one. A large area is needed for athletics and many inner city schools do not have access to sports centres with a running track or pole vault. Music, on the other hand, takes no more than a room even if a number of kids are being taught simultaneously.

Then there is the question of sports/athletics coaches or music teachers. There are undoubtedly far fewer music teachers around today than when I was young. I don't know the situation with regard sports coaches.

So, which should be the priority? I, as a musician of sorts, would opt for music as I believe it is a great way for kids to express themselves. But any activity that holds a youngster's interest and stops them just hanging around on the streets and getting into trouble would have my full support.
standready
gonzo wrote:

Confused

I agree. Sports programs should go first.
Ghost Rider103
Are art classes really beginning to disappear?

I know the school in the town I live in is in serious debt, and is in question whether they will be here in the next two years or not. I know they have an art class, and as far as I know they still do have it. I'm going to have to ask around and see if they do still have it. I know they have been cutting teachers, but I know the art teacher they have is still there. So I'm assuming the class is there as well.

Saying that, I think teachers should go before cutting any art class. Laughing Which is what the school here did. They had multiple English classes, now they got rid of a few and just made each class bigger instead of having multiple periods for the same thing.
kriszara
For many schools it is a question of time as well as money. The schools have to achieve minimum scores on the standardized tests so the teachers spend all of their time reviewing the information that will be on the test.
Art, music even social studies get pushed into the "If we have time on Friday" category.
deanhills
Something does feel a little bit out of whack here. All those movie people who are billionnaires and millionnaires, and schools teaching music and the arts not making it? As difficult to understand as big IT companies turning out billionnaires and millionnaires and some schools having lack of IT equipment.

Just does not make any sense. If not money, someone needs to get up somewhere and see how the schools with music and art teaching could be better organized and utilized.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
and some schools having lack of IT equipment.

Not so sure about that one... a lot of times schools are adding in fancy new computer labs that they don't really need, especially when there's better things the money (and space) could go towards.

That is usually what happens when the budget runs surplus, rare as that is. Oh, we've got extra money... what should we do? Join the digital age! Give the students a head start in the future! Buy computers! ... (Never 'Hire the art teacher an assistant!' or 'Do something about those shabby old band uniforms!' that's for sure!)
missdixy
If I had the means to, I would donate. Unfortunately I am a poor college student, but this is definitely something I feel quite strongly about...
Crazy_Canuck
I don't think it should be a choice between sports and arts programs. If we, as societies, are concerned with raising healthy, well-rounded citizens, both of these programs are important and should be nurtured from as early an age as possible.

Sports activities -- team and individual -- build physical wellness and a lifelong appreciation for active living that benefits societies in the form of overall better health and wellness and disease prevention in later years. Team sports additionally build cooperation, conflict resolution, teamwork and leadership skills.

Arts activities -- music, writing, visual arts -- build creativity, innovation, analytical and constructive criticism skills and overall thinking and reasoning skills. Performance arts, in particular, additionally build self-esteem and the study of all arts/humanities instill cultural awareness among both the artists and their audiences. A society without an appreciation for the arts and support for them is one that devalues itself and its culture.
TurtleShell
Agreed. Although I was never myself interested in sports, and my first inclination is to support the arts (I played clarinet for eight years, and majored in studio art for my bachelor's), but sports are equally important. We should raise our children to be cultured and fit and to operate with a team.
speeDemon
Well, we dont really have those kind of problems here, probably because we dont really have many facilities to be paid for by the school. We have large grounds usually for football, or cricket. At the time of athletic events, the ground is changed into a race track.. no gym, no swimming pool, though.
In case of arts and music, all we ever had to study in music, were the lyrics of some hymns, that too only till 5th grade! in case of art, we just used to make a painting file, with paintings on various topics... or at the most, we would be given a summer project on art, to make something creative.. all this only till 8th grade..

We do have the city's best auditorium though... many shows have been organised there... and each year we have about 3-4 cultural events, in which kids participate in songs, dances, bands etc..
Dean_The_Great
The loss of arts and music programs here, especially at the elementary school level is catastrophic. Kids are not being exposed to music or drama until they are 14 years old, after most of their mega development stages. It's sad and it desperately needs to change.
ProfessorY91
I respectfully disagree with the usefulness of such programs. I think on this one I'll keep my opinions to myself and all, but if I were to prioritize the essential-to-fund programs in schools today, Art and Music would definitely be at the bottom. Reasoning being relative usefulness of such a program in the long run as compared to other more relevant subjects, i.e. Math and Science.
deanhills
ProfessorY91 wrote:
I respectfully disagree with the usefulness of such programs. I think on this one I'll keep my opinions to myself and all, but if I were to prioritize the essential-to-fund programs in schools today, Art and Music would definitely be at the bottom. Reasoning being relative usefulness of such a program in the long run as compared to other more relevant subjects, i.e. Math and Science.
Although I agree that the teaching of math and science should be given a priority over art and music, I won't put art and music at the bottom of the list. Since serious teaching and coaching in art and music cost a lot of money, probably there should be dedicated private schools specializing in art and music with some subvention from Government, i.e. concentrate the art and music teaching in certain schools instead of too little and underfunded art and music teaching in too many schools.

In addition, I wish they could do more for math and physics at schools, by perhaps having academies of volunteer teachers available to help teach students on an extra curricular basis. Since there is a severe shortage of good science and math teachers at the schools, students usually need outside help to get to grips with science and maths, and also to keep them motivated and encourage them to continue science and math studies.