FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Norton Firewall blocking EVERYTHING!!

wumingsden
So, the quick version is I restored by PC to its "factory condition", which basically means I (kind of) re-installed windows, although not all data files are removed.
This was about 4 days ago, and since then my Norton firewall is blocking everything. Even my modem. Which means I can't have it enabled.

Does anyone have any experience of this happening? And how to solve it? I would like my firewall enabled, but at the same time would like to use the net, update programs, etc. When the normal:

"permit"
"block"
"manually ....."
"automatically...."

comes up, even when I have the remember box ticked, it doesn't save, no matter what option i choose. (and even if I allow the program to access the web, it still doesn't work).

I also cannot update my windows. The automatic updates tells me there are updates but it returns errors.
Are these problems linked?
And can they be solved?

Thanks in advance
RiCtee
Did you try temporarily disabling the firewall to see whether it's not other problems causing it. And you could try to restore back to defaults in the "Advanced" tab of the Windows Firewall settings. Also try adding a program in the "Exceptions" tab and make sure it's ticked and then check whether it can access the internet.
johanfh
Windows doesn't safe your firewall settings if you try to change them? I guess you kept your windowsaccount when restoring. There could be something wrong with the local rights of your account. Have you tried creating a new user with administrator rights and accessing the settings with this user?
wumingsden
Ooops. I meant to type Norton Firewall.

RiCtee wrote:
Did you try temporarily disabling the firewall to see whether it's not other problems causing it. And you could try to restore back to defaults in the "Advanced" tab of the Windows Firewall settings. Also try adding a program in the "Exceptions" tab and make sure it's ticked and then check whether it can access the internet.

Indeed. That is the only way that programs can function correctly, if the firewall is disabled. When I enable it I receive errors.
There is no exceptions section for Norton firewall...or at least I can't find it.

johanfh wrote:
Windows doesn't safe your firewall settings if you try to change them? I guess you kept your windowsaccount when restoring. There could be something wrong with the local rights of your account. Have you tried creating a new user with administrator rights and accessing the settings with this user?

Norton doesn't save the settings.
No, when I restore (I've done it numerous times and never had this problem) it removes all user accounts but saves the files to the "main" account. Before I restored there was the default accounts, plus one restricted user account with guest account feature enabled. Now there is just the "main" account.
IceCreamTruck
Die Norton's!!! LOL

My advice is to uninstall norton's. Go with a free antivirus/firewall software on the internet, or go with ZoneAlarm (there's a free firewall, and pay suite)

Some of the freewares will slow your computer down just like norton's does, but trust me...norton's, although it is one of the older antivirus systems, now is too popular and suffers from viruses and spyware exploiting it's weeknesses. So norton's boils down to a huge, system intensive, piece of software with security holes, and it's purpose is supposed to be closing security holes.

Virus and Malware just step right around it, and I can't tell you how many norton's systems I've had to clean-up because they got infected. I know they got infected because they had norton's. If they had another less popular antivirus then they would not have gotten infected.

Try the ZoneAlarm suite, as it is easy to use, not very system intensive, and it prompts you when other programs access the internet and you say "allow" or "not" and click the "remember this decision" check box. It's a great way of manually setting up your firewall to block programs from accessing the internet that you don't want online. I especially like when it asks me to block or allow spyware. Of course, I kill it, but how is anyone without zonealarm supposed to know what is connecting to the internet from their machine and sharing their info????

Here's the great part...you don't have to buy zonealarm. you can simply get the free firewall and try it out. I recomend their entire security suite though, so that your antivirus, antispyware, and firewall all work together and are less system intensive because they are designed to work together.

Peace!!
wumingsden
Hey all

I decided to uninstall Norton, I got so fed up. Annoyed because it means I've just wasted money on something that instead of helping, hindered my system, but oh well.

I replaced it with the software that my ISP offers called PCGuard, offered through Virgin which is free of charge. I like it so will probably upgrade it soon for even more protection

Thanks for all your comments,
no need for this to remain open now, so -locked-