FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ever tried skin whitening creams?

webpagist81884
Is it me or is this the latest crave. I've been seeing tons of youtube vids on this, plus tv material to. Why is being dark such a big deal? I'm brown myself, but never felt the need to lighten myself up. Thoughts?
Cddhesh
It doesn't depends on the skin color,that it will make someone's noticeable mark.I myself is not fair,i am famous in my friend circle and community because of my creative mind.Well i also feel that beautiful person means he/she will be fair.I think this assumption has been set into the peoples mind because of Movies on TV that they see right from the childhood.
Coclus
In former times, and still in china, it is socially important to be white. In the First world, we are now being trimmed to think of dark skin color as beautiful.. It s all one big mystery;)
PennyLane
I don't know why people would want to do this... Why can't everybody be happy with what he or she has or is? But it's true that what you see on TV can influence a lot of persons...
loryl
Beautiful people get treated better by society. Being beautiful allows more upward movement in society as well as increased reproductive success. It's why girls wear makeup, get tans, etc.
gr8inferno
Preckels are beautiful! I have dark skin but I can't explaine spots around where sun don't shine. hmmm. Cool
deanhills
Seems to be a universal phenomenon that those who are fair want to be tanned and those who are tanned want to be fair. Bizarre! Skin whitening can be very harmful, but there are many ways to have a lighter skin through natural means. Such as make-up that is cleverly done so that it looks very natural and lighter. Also there are natural creams with turmeric in it. Which is also good for your skin.

Still puzzled though that people with a certain colour skin would wish to change it. Think it is much more attractive for someone to enhance what they have than wanting to change or cover up. For example if you have a dark skin, you can add a special sheen to it with a touch of gold, and that would look stunning. To do something like that with a fair skin would not work.
Lollipop_S
I myself have fair skin, and I love it! I wouldn't use a lightening cream to get rid of any accidentally tan spots though. Though, I guess it's in the same line as tanning creams, colored contacts, and hair dye. People always want something to be different.
ciureanuc
I read this topic and I remembered this poem:

When I'm born I'm black,
when I grow up I'm black,
when I'm in the sun I'm black,
when I'm sick I'm black,
when I die I'm black,

and you...

when you're born you're pink,
when you grow up you're white,
when you're cold you're blue,
when you're sick you're blue,
when you die you're green

and you dare call me coloured. - Malcom X

Smile
imera
I love this poem, or what it can be called. I am white but I never think bad about someone for their skin colour, if more people was thinking like me things could be different, if I don't like people it's because of the person they are, mostly bad and treats others bad.

Back to the topic, I don't know anything about whitening cream. I am originally east European, so we are a bit darker than the people I live around now, far in the north, since I was young I started to dislike spending time in the sun during summer, I get sick and feel tired by it so I have been avoiding it. Now I have a lighter skin colour than the ones here, still they tell me that I look darker than them, probably because I have darker hair and eyebrows. I like myself, and even if sometimes I wish I was a little brown I don't have any patience laying beneath the sun.

ciureanuc wrote:
I read this topic and I remembered this poem:

When I'm born I'm black,
when I grow up I'm black,
when I'm in the sun I'm black,
when I'm sick I'm black,
when I die I'm black,

and you...

when you're born you're pink,
when you grow up you're white,
when you're cold you're blue,
when you're sick you're blue,
when you die you're green

and you dare call me coloured. - Malcom X

Smile
furtasacra
My skin is a pretty (in my opinion) shade of brown, but I do use fade cream on scars and discolorations. It doesn't make me lighter, it just evens out the tone.

(BTW, my avatar is almost the same color as I am. In fact, it looks a LOT like me. If I was a Simpsons character, anyway.) Laughing
biljap
I don’t see a reason for whitening or darkening skin. But if somebody likes it...

Just keep your skin healthy and beautiful Wink
ddoonie
Well there are many reasons for whitening agents. There is a pigment 'disease?' that causes lack of pigment patches in darker people. You know when you see people with white patches on ther face/hands etc... i think called vitilligo or something.. But those would like to decrease the contrast of these patches and their pigmented skin...

I know that in India, due to the caste system, whiter usually meant more power. The actors/super models, were very white. Being that many look up to these people, it would be common to mimic their appearances.

there are many reasons though. Same question goes for tanning? why do people want to get darker?
darmkramp
There are three categories of products that influence your skin tone:

1. Those that make your skin lighter
2. Those that regulate the melanin production of the skin (responsible for the pigmentation of your skin)
3. Those that tan your skin (auto-bronzers)

There can be several reasons for using either of these products, and in order to be able and evaluate the "right or wrong" of using them, you need to keep several issues in mind (psychological, social and health wise).

A.
When you choose to lighten your skin tone, just to feel better and more accepted by society due to prejudice concerning darker skin tones, than something is wrong with your choice and you need help (so does society in that case but changing society starts by changing yourself).

Dark skin, light skin, freckles, glasses, curly or sleek, whatever... it's you and be proud of that no matter what people say or do to you.

B.
If it is to even out your tone, because you have blemishes or uneven tone due to sun or hormonal issues. You can see it as an acceptable reason to use such products.

However important to keep in mind is that these products harm your skin, as does tanning when going to a tanning salon.

My advice is what I also apply to myself: be gentle with your skin, find out what type of skin you have and treat it accordingly. Don't start pinching it every time it doesn't live up to your standards which are mostly a product of certain processes of indoctrination. Step out of the box and be yourself... that's hard enough compared to being someone you're not.

Just another opinion,
T.
RubySlasher
I really don't like my tan skin, I haven't for most of my life.
20 minutes out in the sun, and I'm as brown as a bean. A few weeks later after sitting in the house a lot, I'm finally lighter skinned again.
I CAN understand why getting rid of your dark skin is such a big deal, because if you have that asian gene in you, you're white one moment but then dark the next.

If I had dark skin all the time, or just light skin all the time, I'd eventually come to accept either one.

BUT MY SKIN IS FREAKIN' BIPOLAR.

That's kind of hard to accept.
xaogo
LOL what is it with people and skin whitening!?

My little sister is obsessed with 'whitening' her skin. She swears by this mango bar soap that her friend gets her from the philipines. Not sure what it's called though Sad
ssthanapati
RubySlasher wrote:
I really don't like my tan skin, I haven't for most of my life.
20 minutes out in the sun, and I'm as brown as a bean. A few weeks later after sitting in the house a lot, I'm finally lighter skinned again.
I CAN understand why getting rid of your dark skin is such a big deal, because if you have that asian gene in you, you're white one moment but then dark the next.

If I had dark skin all the time, or just light skin all the time, I'd eventually come to accept either one.

BUT MY SKIN IS FREAKIN' BIPOLAR.

That's kind of hard to accept.

Same here... I became used to it
honeyflash
I would try, but not to go Michael Jackson-white of course, just to tone down darker spots. I got some stains here and there, and I'd use these creams to tone them down. Matter of beauty, really.
furtasacra
biljap wrote:
I don’t see a reason for whitening or darkening skin. But if somebody likes it...

Just keep your skin healthy and beautiful Wink

Exactly. If you don't want to get melanoma or freckles, just buy the highest SPF sunscreen you can get your hands on, and slop it all over yourself before you go outdoors.

I started wearing sunscreen right after my father got skin cancer. My skin would be darker if I went without it, but I would also be more at risk for an agonizing, gruesome death.

Also, I always carry an umbrella so I can be in the shade everywhere I go. That's mostly because I HATE being hot and sweaty (unless I'm having sex), but it also prevents my skin from getting cooked like chicken wings in a deep fat fryer.

That said, I do own a tube of skin lightening cream. I have a big dark brown scar on my right forearm where I got badly burned when somebody bumped into me while I was taking a pan of pastries out of the oven in the restaurant where I used to work.

I hate that scar. It not only looks ugly, but is a constant reminder of several days of undeserved pain. I got a large second-degree burn on the sensitive, tender skin at the crook of my elbow, which hurt like hell and almost made me cry.

So I put fade cream on it. I don't care what color my skin is, as long as it's mostly all the same color.
jonsebfh8
The world that we have inhabitated has always had shades of Black/White.This is nature's own way of camouflaging what is good in black ,is not so in white & viceversa.So,briefly there are both good & bad things in life.so nature has come up with an answer in the form of Black/white after going thru all permutations & combinations.To atleast have a semblance of peace in this world
nigam
xaogo wrote:
LOL what is it with people and skin whitening!?

My little sister is obsessed with 'whitening' her skin. She swears by this mango bar soap that her friend gets her from the philipines. Not sure what it's called though Sad

I think it is not mango soap that you are talking about....we have papaya soap, carrot soap that whitens our skin...
mejo1900
As someone said earlier....people who are fair want to be darker and those who are dark want to be ligter. That being said...it is a lot easier for a fair person to tan than for a dark person to untan...so i can understand the popularity of whitening creams. I personally am white, but have tried using them on dark spots under my arms...I had little success, but I also didn't use it for very long.
blackduckling
I am Indian, and my youngest sister is very very fair she often mistaken for a Greek. I, on the other hand am the oldest of 4, and have very dark skin- exactly the same shade as a chocolate bar. There are many Afro-Caribbeans fairer than me. My other siblings are what you would describe as the "average" shade.

I have many social problems not only in the Indian community but from all ethnic communities as a result of my coloring and have lost count of the number of times people have asked me why i am so dark and the rest of my family are not. I go through phases where it bothers me which is directly related to the number of questions i get and how much i have been in the sun. It only takes five minutes for my skin to tan in the sun. In the summer i cannot enjoy the sun like the rest of the family as once i get a tan, it takes 2-3 years for my skin to return to its original color, even with the aid of the whitening creams.

Unless you know what it like to feel like an outcast in not only your family and the local community, as well as the whites, you have no place to make a judgment. I have even had "jokes" made about the possibility of my father not being my father. People do not seem to understand the variation in the genetics. In my case, the color of my skin has caused me may problems. Right now it is making me exceptionally depressed. It's hard to stay positive when your world is continuously judgmental.

Please, if anyone out there knows of any safe whitening cream that works, let me know. You would be increasing the quality of my life immensely as a result.