FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any of you guys know of work at home jobs?

webpagist81884
I mean legit work at home jobs. Lately I've been searching the net and there seems to lots of scams, mainly the ones that ask you to fork up money up front first then you'll get the training guides and w/e.
wumingsden
webpagist81884 wrote:
I mean legit work at home jobs. Lately I've been searching the net and there seems to lots of scams, mainly the ones that ask you to fork up money up front first then you'll get the training guides and w/e.

Anything that deals with the web, including owning your own online business, springs to mind.

Or on the opposite end of the spectrum, a home-based childcare provider.

It differs extremely. But you should stick to your strengths. Whatever your good at, incorporate this into a new possible job so you can stay at home, rather than looking for an online company that will hire you (as you said, there are a lot of scams. and also, some online jobs, like a developer of some company, will possibly not be home-based like you'd wish).

if you live int he UK, search google for "ICS Diploma", i'm always hearing a lot about them.
silvate
Most of the work at home jobs are really scams. And it took me a long time to really find legitimate online jobs.
You can earn money by doing forum posting or writing articles. I've managed to earn a few $$ doing forum posting listed on the site below

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102

Hope it helps
webpagist81884
How much have you made total with Digital Point? Cause I am dead serious about working at home.
webpagist81884
Oh yea and how long have you been with them?
nigam
I have been searching work at home data entry, are this true? there are also online executive assistant, I really don't know how to work online and can't imagine it as an executive assistant. Is this manageable? and they pay $4 every hour.
Crinoid
I also did the very through search some time ago. Results:
1. Nobody is hiring (maybe unless one has very particular qualifications or is a freelance writer).
2. The only possible work from home is selling something (one have to have access to the source of supply, at lower, than retail, cost and what is in high demand. Which is not available for most of us. Or make something that has demand, could be produced at home - this means no smell, not toxic, no noise, takes a little place, doesn't require the high expenses and concentration, and you physique allows you to do that year after year in amounts, justifying doing that) or providing services to the people who agree to accept them (you have to a- belong to acceptable culture, speak, think, behave and look as expected, b- be physically able to provide this service, c- it should be worth it).

Summary: Nothing for the common person, having very limited means and space.
If one wasn't hired to work outside the home, the chances to work from home are even lesser. Exceptions are listed above.

Sorry to be a bad news bearer.
osuchin
How about PTC? Does anyone knows about PTC? PTC stands for Paid-to-click ADS. If you're interested PM me.
deanhills
osuchin wrote:
How about PTC? Does anyone knows about PTC? PTC stands for Paid-to-click ADS. If you're interested PM me.

Why not share the information with everyone?
Chinmoy
digital point is a trusted forum.
Insanity
One place to start your own business at home easily is eBay. It's not that difficult to sell things and many people actually do this as a full time job.
WhistleTurning
Yea as has been posted there are a few kinds of legit home based jobs, some rely on you doing your regular work at home (not applicable in this case though). Others can be either phone or web based selling or recruting for others are examples along with as has been mentioned selling on auction sites. The longest typre of home based occupation is to use a skill of some kind. I am a home based wood turner and I know of quite a few folk who also make craft based items. It can be quite a bind working from home as you tend to be insular and don't get out much to meet what would be work colleagues. Getting out of bed in a morning at times needs a lot os self disciplin as is not disappearing down the golf club etc when you feel like it. Therefore letting the work pile up. So don't be in too much of a hurry to be tied to the home-ask any mum with young kids.
jsarnold
I used to be a school teacher, working long days and getting very tired of the endless paperwork, meetings and nonsense.

Through ill health I lost my job, and was off work for the best part of a year, during which I ended up bankrupt.

It was at that point I decided I had nothing left to lose, and so dived into my dream job - working from home as a self employed freelance writer. It was tough to begin iwth, with very little money coming in, and a huge learning curve.

However, after three months the business started to become very profitable, and I am now extremely happy with what I do, working full time at home for myself, and on a good salary.

There are a huge number of freelance websites available to help you get started, such as getafreelancer.com and elance.com
c'tair
jsarnold wrote:
I used to be a school teacher, working long days and getting very tired of the endless paperwork, meetings and nonsense.

Through ill health I lost my job, and was off work for the best part of a year, during which I ended up bankrupt.

It was at that point I decided I had nothing left to lose, and so dived into my dream job - working from home as a self employed freelance writer. It was tough to begin iwth, with very little money coming in, and a huge learning curve.

However, after three months the business started to become very profitable, and I am now extremely happy with what I do, working full time at home for myself, and on a good salary.

There are a huge number of freelance websites available to help you get started, such as getafreelancer.com and elance.com

That sounds terrific! I'm sure to try those, as soon as Im back home from working in a bar abroad.
By the way, did You learn by trial and error or by some sort of guides, courses etc.?
jsarnold
Being a qualified English teacher with all the usual A-levels and degree helped, as did having 12 years as a teacher. However, the majority of the experience I found of most benefit was through life, wide reading of my own, and regular writing.

Otherwise, it was simply trial and error as far as getting jobs is concerned. Writing for a living usually involves quite different approaches to one's own personal writing, but it only took 2-3 months to really feel settled and able to make it work.

If you can read/write English to a high level, enjoy carryign out research, and are happy working on your own at home, then it is not only possible for it to work, but you can end up making it quite a success.
amyece
There are Work at home jobs that are legit.
I have been working as an independent contractor for 2 years and also recently added some employee work at home jobs as well.
All of these pay more than min wage by at least a couple of dollars some quite a bit more.
To find out more I suggest you go to www.workplacelikehome.com

There are lots of forums dealing with the different legit companies.
Most of these are phone work.
Good luck to you.

Amy
cutesyedwin
best way is to be self employed and do things such as consultancy. jobs on internets are either very lowly paid or not even legit.
adoreyourself
If you have some money to start with and you are interested in it.. you could Learn how to day trade..
shkhanal
traditional business with IT empowered is better favored. Making Money Online solely is yet not that believable.
gtoroap
adoreyourself wrote:
If you have some money to start with and you are interested in it.. you could Learn how to day trade..

I wanna know more info about this... Maybe I could start a micro business... but not right now... maybe in a couple of months and I am interested.
Digital Thoth
I've mentioned it in a previous post, but the easiest way to get a work from home job is to telecommute for an employer. At least, that's my opinion. There's rarely a start up fee, and normally you just need to have unlimited long distance, a computer fast than your grandma, and a phone presence or sales pitch.

There are lots of opportunities out there, especially with companies down sizing, and trying to remove overhead. So, if they don't have to have that extra desk in their office, but have that extra person working for them, for a slightly larger wage, then it's a win-win situation. (And, aren't those the best kinds?)

Just keep in mind you're going to need to be disciplined, and flexible. Especially if you're going to be doing customer service, or telemarketing. Not to take anything away from the internet based workings, but make sure that you look at all your options, not just the glorious job potentials.
kerryworkman
webpagist81884 wrote:

When I was looking for the legit stay at home work on the web, I ran into the same problem. I don't have any great tips or advice, just keep your eyes open and don't give up. I found one completely by accident when I had given up searching.
mrcool
kerryworkman wrote:
webpagist81884 wrote:

When I was looking for the legit stay at home work on the web, I ran into the same problem. I don't have any great tips or advice, just keep your eyes open and don't give up. I found one completely by accident when I had given up searching.

can you share it to us what was that home work on the web, kerry...hope you can help others who wants to work at home based jobs. thanks a lot.
thetinyclam
jsarnold wrote:

Wow jsarnold, that is an amazing turn of events. But such an inspiring story can steer a few of us here at frihost in the wrong direction. Surely it must've been extremely difficult in the time you were laid off and your first big paycheck. Not many people are willing to take that risk or have enough perseverance to endure such low times.

So if you ask me fellas, I'll tell you to go out there and look for a real job instead of lurking through the internet and get scammed left and right.
keane
I would suggest that you try oDesk. They are legit and a lot of jobs are available. You have to pass the oDesk readiness exam before you can start applying to jobs posted by clients.

http://odesk.com
furtasacra
webpagist81884 wrote:

I already posted this link in another thread, but here it is again:

http://www.workplacelikehome.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

There's information about a bunch of legitimate jobs you can do from home. They are mostly customer service jobs requiring high speed internet and a land line phone, and they don't pay a lot, but if you're disabled or don't have a car or need a flexible schedule the convenience offsets that somewhat.
furtasacra
webpagist81884 wrote:

I already posted this link in another thread, but here it is again:

http://www.workplacelikehome.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

There's information about a bunch of legitimate jobs you can do from home. They are mostly customer service jobs requiring high speed internet and a land line phone, and they don't pay a lot, but if you're disabled or don't have a car or need a flexible schedule the convenience offsets that somewhat.
biljap
I prefer to go to work and spend some time with colleagues and not to be work alone at home... I prefer working in a team. Though, it would be nice to have possibility to take that work home sometimes, with few hours weekly I would be satisfied. Wink
edwinl
Work at home could be network marketing, you define your own goals, being yourself your boss, working for do your own salary.

I work in Travel One

www.travelone.net

You win what you need, what you want
Kelcey
Yeah, selling stuff on ebay is something you can do from home. I dunno how profitable it is. But it looks like tons of people are doing it.
Chinmoy
all these work at home things are crappy. You need to have a wok profile and a good online presence to get into any serious work from home business which pays. So forget working from home. Coders though have a lot of options. There are real online sites ready to pay for projects of their customers, but it is bid based and you have to be good to get them.
xcloudy
I used to be a free lancer on the web. You could find some projects on www.scriptlance.com. I got a programming job there which brought me $2500 in about 3 months.

From my experience, the work/job that posted on internect for you to work at home always give a very low fee. Sad
themarine
Most of the work at home jobs are really scams. And it took me a long time to really find legitimate online jobs.
You can earn money by doing forum posting or writing articles. I've managed to earn a few $$ doing forum posting listed on the site below
Faraz
You can do freelancing on freelancing sites. If you have credit card, you can provide a free hosting on small scale in return of placing google ads on websites. I earned around $80-$90 every month providing free hosting. Not much, but still something eh?
sketteksalfa
I work at home for legitimate companies in the US. I do internet marketing and email marketing. And i am also accepting jobs in those areas. Smile
fx-trading-education
You don't need to be a freelancer or to make tele-marketing to work from home.
More and more in the IT industry you can work from home. This last month I have mostly been working from home as I can connect to my work network via VPN. SO it is not 100% at home as you need to meet other people as well but you can be mostly based at home.
chatrack
If you have products that you want to sell, a web site is good tool for it.
anaela
well yea, but check sites that offer work from home. many of them are scams

the best way is to make your own business online. even building a site is work from home if you have sponsors, ads, etc.
Pepperfan
I have done two things from home.

1. I sell stuff on ebay. This is cool because i like photographing stuff. I make some money but I have trouble finding products.

2. I also do direct selling through the Pampered Chef. I am new to this one but I like that I make a minimum of 20% of my sales and can receive more if my sales are high. Also I receive a one or two percent bonus on the sales of the people who join with me. Also the start up costs are very minimal.

Note this is not a pyramid scheme because it is sustainable. That you know that you are in a pyramid scheme when the main thing they want you to do is to bring in new people and down play the sales. Also pyramid scheme fail eventually. Pampered Chef does not do either. Warren Buffet bought Pampered Chef which I find to be a ringing endorsement.

My website is http://www.pamperedchef.biz/charles?page=your-career-landing has information on this.

If you want more information I can answer that here or you can email/call me.

Charles