FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SquirrelMail SpamFilter Issue

QrafTee
So I've created email accounts and the active ones are being bombarded with SPAM. I've set the Spam Filtering on, but it hasn't done anything; I noticed, on the top, however that it reads:

WARNING! Tell the administrator to set the "SpamFilters_YourHop" variable.

What is the issue and can I fix it on my end? If so, how do I do it? (a detailed step-by-step instruction would be great) Thanks.
SonLight
This issue is addressed in another forum. We use DirectAdmin instead of cpanel (for most accounts), so you will have to figure out where the right file is to edit. Feel free to ask for more detail if this is still confusing. I messed up the formatting while pasting, so you may want to look at the original. The solution is here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=562703

Quote:
open /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/squirrelmail/plugins/filters/setup.php in your favorite editor. I use vim because i'm better than everyone

Find this text: Code:

/** * SpamFilters YourHop Setting * * Set this to a string containing something unique to the line in the * header you want me to find IPs to scan the databases with. For example, * All the email coming IN from the internet to my site has a line in * the header that looks like (all on one line): * Received: [from usw-sf-list1.sourceforge.net (usw-sf-fw2.sourceforge.net * [216.136.171.252]) by firewall.persistence.com (SYSADMIN-antispam * 0.2) with * Since this line indicates the FIRST hop the email takes into my network, * I set my SpamFilters_YourHop to 'by firewall.persistence.com' but any * case-sensitive string will do. You can set it to something found on * every line in the header (like ' ') if you want to scan all IPs in * the header (lots of false alarms here tho).
* @global string $SpamFilters_YourHop */ global $SpamFilters_YourHop; $SpamFilters_YourHop = ' ';

change this: Code: $SpamFilters_YourHop = ' ';
to this:
Code: $SpamFilters_YourHop = ' your.system.hostname.com';

If it's not a cpanel machine, you'll have to figure out the correct path to your setup.php . The path is probably relative to your squirrelmail path, so it shouldn't be difficult hunting it down. Just look under <squirrelmail_path>/plugins/filters/setup.php.
QrafTee
Yeah, I found that site as well, but I've had a hard time finding the .php file with that code. Thus, no code, no fixing it. I've pretty much checked all of the _public folder and the plugins, etc.
SonLight
The setup.php file should be in the subdomain folder, not the public_html folder. I think the best way to find the right folder is to click on 'domains' (from directadmin manage files). I only have one domain, so you might need to ask an expert.

It may be that setup.php is a temporary file which gets deleted after setting up squirrelmail. If that is the case, you would need to re-install squirrelmail. The install instructions should mention the variable that has to be changed in the file.

I am way out of my depth here, since I use neither squirrelmail nor multiple domains. Just hoping I could point you in the right direction.
QrafTee
SonLight wrote:
The setup.php file should be in the subdomain folder, not the public_html folder. I think the best way to find the right folder is to click on 'domains' (from directadmin manage files). I only have one domain, so you might need to ask an expert.

It may be that setup.php is a temporary file which gets deleted after setting up squirrelmail. If that is the case, you would need to re-install squirrelmail. The install instructions should mention the variable that has to be changed in the file.

I am way out of my depth here, since I use neither squirrelmail nor multiple domains. Just hoping I could point you in the right direction.

Yeah, thanks for the help. Unfortunately Squirrelmail was installed previously by the host. If I installed it, it'd be easy to find the files I need to modify. It's integrated into DirectAdmin... or so it seems.