FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

windows xp

huffy53
does anyone feel that windows xp is way over priced for wot u get i mean its just a colourful version of windows 98 is'nt it.
Lucifel
For me, Xp is powerfull that 98. I used 98 during a very long time, but when my father bought XP, it was a really change. I have a old computer but all I do is fdaster than when I had 98
Simulator
XP is a lot faster and better than win 98, but I find it is just win 95 with a new look.....
Lucifel
I agree that concerning colors, that's not so different that 98.
Harrowed
Win XP = Bloated Win2K..
Performance is better in Win2K.. Smile
Neus
yeh i would consider the xp upgrade if you know your system can handle it fine... if your just at the system requirements id just suggest either staying with whatchya got, or upgrading your system before purchasing.. otherwise youll just have a super slow system that will anger you Wink
corey
I agree that XP is priced too high. That should change, but likely won't. '98 was overpriced as well, IMO. Aside from that, do I think that XP has enough benefits to upgrade from '98? Yes. There have been a lot of improvements that keep you from having to reboot your computer every time you load a new driver, for example. It crashes less (by far). Instead of daily, you'll get weeks out of your system before it will crap out on you. If you want to share your computer with more than one person, you can create several users with their own logins, which then you can each make your own directories "private", because of the permissions afforded by NTFS, which you can't do witht he filesystem native to '98 (FAT32). There's still a long ways to go, but its more useful for longer at a time, IMO.
James007
I don't think that XP can be compared with 98...

It just depends on the person who is using it.

Some people switch to XP and they find the XP-look so terrible that they set their desktop settings to 98-style... but the power of XP remaines..

And Vista? Will it be a lot different from XP? Silenced

Microsoft Pricing is always too high...

James Smile
Bondings
It isn't expensive if you compare it with the price of a new video game of 50€ in my opinion.
progman89
If all you're looking for is basic functionality, try Linux--theres no harm to trying something free. Though it isnt as generally compatible with things as Windows, it's a better OS. I recommend Knoppix (for Live CD) or Fedora (for an installation).
Asylum
XP is like win2k except is has a theme system.

XP Home and XP Pro are different also.

For instance XP Pro comes with terminal services and everthing turned on so you can use remote desktop and many other of it's features without having to add third party tools or making registry modifications.

Comparision of XP Home and XP Pro:

Both have this:

• New user interface - makes it easy to find what you need when you need it.

• A reliable foundation you can count on – keeps your computer up and running when you need it most.

• Windows Media Player for Windows XP - single place for finding, playing, organizing, & storing digital media.

• Network Setup Wizard - easily connect & share the computers and devices in your home.

• Windows Messenger – the ultimate communications & collaboration tool with instant messaging, voice and video conferencing, and application sharing.

• Help & Support Center - easy to recover from problems and get help and support when you need it.

Both have this:

Premier mobile support, providing access to information while you're on the go -

Advanced laptop support (incl. ClearType support, DualView, power management improvements) - so you get as much work done while you are on the road as while you are in the office.

Wireless connections - automatic 802.1x wireless network configuration.

Only Pro has this:

Remote Desktop – remotely access your Windows XP Professional PC, from another Windows PC, so you can work with all of your data and applications while away from your office.

Only Pro has this:

Offline Files and Folders - access to files & folders on a network share when disconnected from the server.

Both have this:

Highly responsive with the power to work on multiple tasks at once -

Fast start-up & power management improvements - faster boot and resume times.

Multitasking - allow multiple applications to run simultaneously.

Only Pro has this:

Scalable processor support – up to two-way multi-processor support.

Both have this:

Keeps your data secure and maintains your privacy -

Internet Connection Firewall - automatically shields your PC from unauthorized access when you're on the Internet.

Internet Explorer 6 privacy support - maintain control over your personal information when visiting Web sites.

Only Pro has this:

Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are stored on disk using the NTFS file system.

Access Control – restrict access to selected files, applications, and other resources.

Designed to work with Microsoft Windows Servers and management solutions -

Centralized administration - join Windows XP Professional systems to a Windows Server domain to take advantage of the full range of powerful management and security tools.

Group Policy - simplifies the administration of groups of users or computers.

Software Installation and Maintenance – automatically install, configure, repair, or remove software applications.

Roaming User Profiles - access to all your documents and settings no matter where you log on.

Remote Installation Service (RIS) – support for remote operating system installations where desktops can be installed across the network.

Both have this:

Communicate efficiently with others around the world -

Single Worldwide Binary - enter text in any language and run any language version of Win32 applications on any language version of Windows XP.

Only Pro has this:

Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on - change the user interface language to get localized dialog boxes, menus, help files, dictionaries, and proofing tools etc.
mcridder
with respect to security, XP is far more secure than win98.. that's why XP is cost much higher than 98.
n0obie4life
I still like my WINME better than XP...
careyd
WinME? you could hardly keep it up running long enough to decide how good it was. I don't think anyone kept it for long. And I think it was like the shortest supported product in Microsoft history lol

-Dave
Neus
WinME?

*head spasm*

bad memories

*rocks back and forth*

belive me, xp is much better... sure theres still irritating stuff... but it beats the hell outa ME...
frozenhead
Nah!?... It's far different from win98... If you want to see how, just see its features from the Microsoft website

Harrowed wrote:
Win XP = Bloated Win2K..
Performance is better in Win2K... Smile

One of the reasons is XP have "memory leaks" on some programs.. that contibutes to the performance insufficiency of the said OS.. Idea
Asylum
frozenhead wrote:
Nah!?... It's far different from win98... If you want to see how, just see its features from the Microsoft website

Harrowed wrote:
Win XP = Bloated Win2K..
Performance is better in Win2K... Smile

One of the reasons is XP have "memory leaks" on some programs.. that contibutes to the performance insufficiency of the said OS.. Idea

That's not XP doing that, it is how the programs are coded where they are supposed to fully support the O/S but were not properly tested before being released.

It is also where users do not read the docs before actually using the products where it is said that they should use a specific compatibility mode, but do not know about it because they didn't read the documentation or release notes.

XP when used with the proper settings works wonderfuly with no problems what so ever.

You can even use XP Pro as a server O/S if you know how to configure it properly.

Price wise the XP line is priced reasonably when you compare it to everything else you could be using, wait until Vista (previously Longhorn) is released as it will start at $500.00 as well.
orcaz
huffy53 wrote:
does anyone feel that windows xp is way over priced for wot u get i mean its just a colourful version of windows 98 is'nt it.

It is more colourful than 98, but it has also much much more features. Windows Firewall, IE popup blocking and mani more. Also, more and more softwares are not supporting 98 animore, which made me upgrade to XP. Also, XP has NTFS, but 98 onli has up to FAT32

n0obie4life wrote:
I still like my WINME better than XP...

WinME? Mani said that it is even worse than 98 or 2000...
vdc1368
For me, id prefer Windows XP. The networking is WAY easier to set, the internet is faster, theres alot of drivers (no need for those dang cds that u keep losing that come with ur comp Razz), its more stable and it has fixes for the security holes. The bad thing about WinXP is that it takes up more space on ur hdd(hard disk drive) and also, it clogs up ur CPU Usage. U also might need a pretty good computer to be able to run it. No WinXP for Pentium 1 (no offence Very Happy)
mark
XP has a lot of new additions than compared to Win 98. I have worked practically on every Operating System there is existing and XP has been the best. Oddly, I like Home Edition better than Professional.
ani-nightmare
xp is better then 98
budazz
i like xp than 98 coz of the features...xp is more secured than 98... Very Happy
argha
Xp is good because for me it have a huge database for drivers mostly all the H/W drivers are included in Xp but I feel XP is slow with Service pack and I like windows 2000 pro. more then XP.
matjash
How can some of u say that xp are faster than 98? Try installing xp on p2 266, 128 MB RAM and than see a difference in speed. I only Install XP's on PC's with atleast 1Ghz proccesor and 256MB RAM, but if they would be mine I would put win98 on them.
axelm
Windows XP is a mixture between Windows 2000 ans Windows ME/98! They took the stability and platforme of Windows 2000 and they combined it with the compatibility (aspecially with games) of Win 98/ME! You should watch a movie in Windows 2000 and you will see it is pixelated, while in XP u have a perfect image!!!

In spite of that, Linux is better, but you don't have too many programs for it! Sad
TheGeek
to me, it just feels like win2k with some fancy stuff and a few more features and no dedicated DOS.

Personally, i liked win2K better, but XP is a tad more user friendly IMO and i like the auto patch thingy it has, cuz keeping up to date with patches and updates manually is a pain.
mark
matjash wrote:
How can some of u say that xp are faster than 98? Try installing xp on p2 266, 128 MB RAM and than see a difference in speed. I only Install XP's on PC's with atleast 1Ghz proccesor and 256MB RAM, but if they would be mine I would put win98 on them.

XP can't work properly on 128 MB RAM computers. The bare minimum is 256 for Win Xp. Ofcourse 128 will slow XP down. However, it would work excellent on 98 cause it doesnt take up a lot of memory.
tranchan
WinME? you could hardly keep it up running long enough to decide how good it was. I don't think anyone kept it for long. And I think it was like the shortest supported product in Microsoft history
gaspar
WINDOWS 98 - WITOUT VIRUS

WINDOWS 2000 - FOR YOU BUSINESS

WINDOWS XP - FOR YOUR HOME FUN ENTERTAINMENT

(FUTURE WINDOWS VISTA - LET'S WAIT FOR HIM AND SEE!!!!
yjwong
Windows 98 crashes if a USB device or any other hardware is unplugged... Internet Explorer and other programs starts up very slowly too
Summer
Windows Xp has a nice GUI . Windows Vista has better GUI than XP .
adam
it is over priced. but the new one comes out next year

*thinks how much it will cose Question *
Summer
Of coz it cost MUCH !
samvig
Xp is a lot better than 98 and Me put together ...
and a lot faster than win 2k also ....
win2k took forever to startup and kept crashing if u didnt knw wht u were dfoin
but XP is a lot more robust.... and it doesnt crash ....
98 was pathetic, 98SE was better... ME was crap ....
WInXP Pro rocks./
friscofrankie
WinNT -> Win2k ->XP. Win98 WinME aren't in there anywhere There is no comparison. XP is NT with a few changes under the hood and lots of changes on the outside. Every iteration of NT that has come out has moved system utilities to some new depth and branch of the menu tree. There is no continuity and very little improvment from one iteration to the next. The Os' get bigger and require more and more resources. Anyone here run XP on a 500 Mhz machine with 64 megs? oer even a 1 Ghz with 128 megs?
Micrososft continues to serve up mediocrity with a pretty face and using strong arm tactics has gained control of the worlds desktop computing environment. There is little to recommend it except if you know NT you're assured a job.
For a Windows desktop PC I still prefer NT 4.0. to the last two iterations. It had it's security holes, but was fairly easy to navigate fast and reliable. Xp just has newer security holes. The BSOD is still with us and always will be. I am constantly pushing the envelope with my machines and by adding, removing configuring back-end software. I break windows on a daily basis. I have to try real hard to break linux. The software isn't getting faster folks, the hardware is increasing in speed, processing and storage ability by leaps and bounds. All of that new found power seems to go into running the new Bloated OS' coming out of Redmond, WA.
That the company has no compunction about taking someone elses work as it's own, gives hope that, maybe, we'll see some improvements when they began to glom some of the very fine open source software out there.
Daniel15
Quote:

How can some of u say that xp are faster than 98? Try installing xp on p2 266, 128 MB RAM and than see a difference in speed.

Quote:

U also might need a pretty good computer to be able to run it. No WinXP for Pentium 1 (no offence )

Quote:

Anyone here run XP on a 500 Mhz machine with 64 megs? oer even a 1 Ghz with 128 megs?

I've installed Windows XP on a Pentium II 350mHz with 192MB memory. It runs perfectly fine (it's my sister's computer). Actually runs better that what I thought.

And as I'm typing this I'm using Windows XP Professional on a Pentium III 866mHz with 192MB RAM. 192MB RAM is fine with Windows XP. I've got Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Opera and a few other system tray programs (J-Sig Client, GetRight) open and it works fine, no lag or nothing.

Whatever you do, DON'T RUN WINDOWS ME. Even Windows 95 is better... Windows 95!!
venkateshwarans
Waiting for windows vista.
It is gonna be available in 7different flavours (many believe it's a gimmick for cost difference)

The important point: THe min specs are high. You will require a 512mb ram and a graphics card. That doesn't look good.

It does carry some important changes security wise. One of the most visible changes is the visual effects and tabbed browsing in IE (which I believe is already there in sp2).