FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

File renaming software

Da Rossa
Hi!
Can you recommend me a good file renaming software? Preferably free and versatile.
I've tried batch filename editor, filerenamer deluxe and some others. Please! openSource would be even greater. I'm aiming at easiness of handling, like having the possibility to do all things by keystrokes, no mouse gestures like in BFE Smile
wumingsden
Da Rossa wrote:
Hi!
Can you recommend me a good file renaming software? Preferably free and versatile.
I've tried batch filename editor, filerenamer deluxe and some others. Please! openSource would be even greater. I'm aiming at easiness of handling, like having the possibility to do all things by keystrokes, no mouse gestures like in BFE Smile

Okay, just a warning that I'm going to plug a product of mine Embarassed Razz

Quote:
Program: Bulk Rename Utility
Version: 2.1.0.10

Orginally Copyright:
Copyright Jim Willsher, 2001-2004
Portions copyright Paolo Messina

Ported by: PortPrograms

Description -
Bulk Rename Utility is a utility which allows you to easily rename files and directories,
based upon extemely flexible criteria. Add date-stamps, replace numbers, insert strings,
convert case, add auto-numbers, process folders and subfolders....plus loads more!

To run -
Simply double click Bulk Rename Utility.exe

To remove -
Simply delete the file. No changes are made to the registry, this program is portable so
can be ran off a flash drive of any kind, on any WndowsXP computer (and possibly other
versions), although Admin access may be needed.

Important Note -
Although tested, I provide no warrenty that this program is safe to use!

The download link is: http://www.uploadjockey.com/download/5346932/bulk_rename_utility.zip

If you decide to try out this product and get any bugs, let me know (Y)
welshsteve
Ant Renamer is a good one.
jackill
What about any file manager like shareware Total Commander? Like: http://www.freecommander.com/
Da Rossa
welshsteve wrote:
Ant Renamer is a good one.

Tks but TAB didn't work so I figured out that it doesn't feel good with keys, only mouse clicks... am I right?
SonLight
wumingsden, I run Ubuntu Linux, so I decided to test the program under Wine. It started up, but gave me an error message that it was unable to open sandbox directory, c:\ ... \Bulk Rename Utility. I looked, and the folder was there under drive_c/ ... /Bulk Rename Utility, presumably newly created.

A notification popped up to say the program was starting. Probably there is a problem with Wine's handling of the file names. If that error were overcome, the progam might be testable, and perhaps even usable, under Linux.
wumingsden
SonLight wrote:
wumingsden, I run Ubuntu Linux, so I decided to test the program under Wine. It started up, but gave me an error message that it was unable to open sandbox directory, c:\ ... \Bulk Rename Utility. I looked, and the folder was there under drive_c/ ... /Bulk Rename Utility, presumably newly created.

A notification popped up to say the program was starting. Probably there is a problem with Wine's handling of the file names. If that error were overcome, the progam might be testable, and perhaps even usable, under Linux.

Hmm. Well first I wish to thank you for trying it out.
I know absolutely -nothing- about Linux. I've never even seen it in action, always using a Windows PC. Now, I've just done one or two Google searches which tells me that "wine" is some sort of application which allows made-for-windows programs to run on a linux OS (correct me if i'm wrong).

So, now I have to see whether this error occurs across other platforms. I've only tested it on my PC and my laptop, running from my flash pen drive. Not much variety I know, but I guessed that this wouldn't be a major drawback...maybe I was wrong.

Have you had other errors like this with windows programs? Also, another google search brought up "WineDoors" which seems to be a program to ease the complications with installing software, as well as helping out with numerous errors.

One idea that I have is that the program uses important windows .dll files (whether it be on the original machine already using the same capabilities but making them more advanced, or ported inside the program) to be able to rename files.
Or another possibility that the internal support of the program which allows it to be ported is simply incompatible with linux.

(it of course would be a great advantage if all of PortProgram's utilities would work with linux via Wine, but it would be extremely hard to support it as I know nothing about that OS)

Theres no possible way for me to try out the program on another machine, nevermind a completely different OS, and I have concerns that this may be a large-scale problem. If you have a windows OS (preferably XP with admin access) and are able to try it there then let me know of the problems/results (Y)