FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

20 Weird and Spooky weapons from Popular Science Mag

jylan
I was reading the slashdot magazine 20 minutes ago or so and saw this article about 20 spooky weapons that were once considered or are currently in development. I reckon the scariest one is the CIA conducting an extensive study into mind control using drugs like LSD, then destroying all the papers when Congress tried to investigate.

Also scary is something called an Active Denial System that used millimetre waves to cause intense burning feelings on human skin.

Anyway check the article out at http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/gallery/2008-05/worlds-spookiest-weapons and have a look at the weapons youself Shocked. It makes you wonder what else people are developing that nobody knows about Sad.
misterXY
l'll give a calmative out of my rear soon Smile lol
raine dragon
Wow, that's some pretty creepy stuff..

..except for the gay bomb. That's just absolutely ridiculously funny. XD
ocalhoun
Spooky? Perhaps, but I'm glad that the USA is staying at the forefront of military technology. The active defense system for tanks, naval rail gun, "rods from god", and missile killing laser seem especially promising.
I'd really be interested in seeing the rods from god implemented. Having nuclear scale firepower with no radioactivity would make deterrence much more usable.
jylan
I understand your view but I think that too much power is a bad thing, it just creates tension between countries and encourages arms races. But if there really was a need for using such destructive weapons I guess no nuclear fallout is a good thing.

I also think that deterence only goes so far. IMO any of the major powers in todays world wouldn't just sit around being scared, they'd try to develop their own weapons system.
erlendhg
Yes, it is a shady business. Some of those weapsons were quite hard stuff. I think a wepon such as the Rods from God, would give the US too much power globally. It is a scary thought, I must say.

I have seen the Active Denial System in action in the TV show "60 minutes". It seems actually to be a good alternative to violent weapons, and it seems to work very well too.

(I also have seen the Corner Shot on CSI Miami, but that probably wouldn't count Razz)
Liu
I've heard about most of that stuff on there except for the usage of bats. That's insanely crazy that they thought about using bats as timed bombers. I don't know whether to applaud the ingenuity or whether to say that whoever thought of that needs to seek help (at that time.)
ocalhoun
Liu wrote:
I've heard about most of that stuff on there except for the usage of bats. That's insanely crazy that they thought about using bats as timed bombers. I don't know whether to applaud the ingenuity or whether to say that whoever thought of that needs to seek help (at that time.)

Instead of bats, they used gasoline made into a gel. They named it 'napalm' and it killed about 4 times as many Japanese as the nukes did. (Their crowded paper and wood cities were very vulnerable to that.) Using bats was a little crazy, but using fire was a great idea and worked very well.

As for having too much power, we already have that kind of firepower, but it leaves nasty radioactive side effects that last for a very long time. Once the dust settled from one of these weapons, the effect would be over, without causing people cancer for the next 100 years.

As for the USA having too much power, which country would be more trustworthy with it? Besides, many of these weapons showed an admirable desire to find non-lethal combat solutions, which would be very helpful to a country with a worsening reputation fighting in a war where the enemy hides among civilians.
Jaan
there's a quote by some bassel dude... it goes "to have peace, prepare for war" and "you're an idiot"...

the only way to prevent the use of such weapons is to own large quantities of them under your basement window or other secret hiding place.
Guelila
I think that most of them are actually smart and cool..
all except "The Stargate Project"..
thats just ridiculous Laughing
tony
wow; very interesting website. scary stuff!
Magicman
Some of those were very interesting and could drastically change the way combat is handled. I think that any weapon that is considered non-fatal is better than one that is.
Jaan
i really feel like trying one of those non lethal weapons. i just hope its alot safer than razers.. now that would be fun!!! thinki of the chaos!!
webpagist81884
true.
Pochettino
haha some are cool tho
Genesiz
Everybody is talking about how having too much power would be a bad thing, but i'd like to point out that most of the weapons highlighted in the article are experimental or simply hypothetical. What danger is there in a hypothetical weapon that doesn't exist and there is no evidence it can exist.

That said, the fact that such weapons are even being considered is quite shocking. You only have to look at Hiroshima to see the destruction such weapons can cause, and here we have a list of twenty different weapons. Developing such weapons only leads to competition between countries, and who has the biggest rocket.
SpellcasterDX
Well it is scary that we're testing/thinking of developing these weapons, but then, this is something that has been going on for a long time. We come up with a weapon, and sooner or later another country develops that weapon and copies us.

I only hope there isn't a World War III. That would be catastrophic.
It'd be the nuclear war everybody fears.
ocalhoun
Genesiz wrote:
What danger is there in a hypothetical weapon that doesn't exist and there is no evidence it can exist.

The nuke was also hypothetical before it was developed, and all the way up to the first successful test there were many who said that it would never work and was therefore a colossal waste of time and effort.
driftingfe3s
I've seen some of those projects before on television. Interesting read though, thanks for the link.